Flower Gardens Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tank29:
I hope this isn't steering things too off course, but I have a related question. I too am very new to scuba (ok, ok, I'm still not certified, but the checkout dives are in two weeks! :D), and I'm all for playing things conservatively. I, for one, will probably tack on the shopping list of certs/classes that were mentioned previously before going to FG, for both getting exposure to more types of diving and getting into the water more.

So my question is this: where can a diver get experience with the issues faced in the open ocean (current, boarding the board, seas, etc.) before you go on a trip to a place like FG?

I'm honestly asking for suggestions, because like I said before, I'm attacking this sport in a very enthusiastic, but conservative manner. If the answer comes down to you need to go to FG or something similar, but only until you are comfortable with your other skills, so be it (that's sorta what I'm guessing the responses will be).

So what say ye?

Dave

There are some operators who run rig trips out of places like Port Aransas. That's too far to be a day trip, but an easy drive down, spend the night, go dive, and either spend another night or make a late trip home.

You could make a trip to Panama City Fl, or Gulf Shores Al. and catch a boat to build some boat experience in the Gulf.

But like Reef said, you need to be comfortable in the water first.

TwoBit

My 12 year old daughter got her OW cert at the beginning of summer last year. She had about 15 lake dives under her belt when we went to the FG last summer. I was a little nervous, but he trip leader from the dive shop we booked with always dove with us and she did GREAT!
We didn't dive during the winter. I'm signing her up for AOW soon and I'm taking her out again this summer.
Carrie

This is presumptuous, and I apologize for that, but please allow me to summarize what I think I'm hearing. I think this is an answer for the OP.
The Flower Gardens is a beautiful and somewhat unique diving experience. That's why I dive there as much as I can and volunteer for the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary. However, it's a fickle site. Some trips the current is nil and the surface is like glass. Those are "3% days"--it's like that three percent of the time. Under those conditions, just about any diver can have a safe, enjoyable time.
The FG can be much different, and it can change literally in a matter of minutes. Last summer I watched the current go from nothing to several knots just as we were about to ascend the line. The Fling swung 180 degrees on the mooring line in less than a minute. Several divers from both the Fling and Spree wound upon the wrong boats as a result. Couple that with a night dive or high waves, and things can get complicated in a hurry.
I'm not trying to scare anyone or impart a false sense of bravado. It's just that the FG is really an intermediate dive, and one needs to have intermediate skills. A good bit of experience is necessary to assure that a diver is safe and capable. Until one is confident in that, they might need to get some experience in other venues first.
I've had some of the best dives of my life out there. I've also lost a buddy there, too. As has been noted, the Gulf can be pretty harsh, and one needs to hedge a bet by being as ready as possible.
Hope that wasn't too presumptuous. Take it for what it's worth (which is much less than two cents, believe me!)

Back
Top Bottom