Flower Gardens Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree in principal to what you are saying.
The only reason I say that is because the crews of Gulf Diving LLC are that GOOD.
Their support to new divers is incredible.
There just alot of ground to cover between the surface and the floor below.

I spend so much time planning and preparing.. to make 60 minutes dives for NDL limits in a multi level profile from 100ft. When I am hanging its for a good reason.

Ahh my favorite saying-
Don't you hate it when Physics works :D

Night mate...
Andrew

awap:
No, I learned PP gas laws in high school physics about 45 years ago.

I'm sure it helps to have advanced certifications and "more" experience for FGB but it is not required. Any OW diver who thinks he is ready can give it a shot. At least the OP is gathering info on what to expect so he can decide if he is ready. It looks to me like the right person is going to make an informed decision.

One of the best divers I know (and dive with often) has not taken AOW. He has been diving for a long time and can manage air consumption, navigation and emergency procedures in his sleep.

There are good, safe divers who have ONLY taken OW.

And there are clumsy, unsafe divers who have more badges than the best Girl Scout.

Please lets stop and take a breathe.
The divide here seems to be with the term ‘Open Water.’

This is someone’s certification level and formal training level.
This does not reflect on your learning or your personal experience since the class.
You are making reference to someone with oodles of experience and practice.
This is where the log book comes in. This shows their growth and experience since the class.

The person who asked the original question does not have that experience.
If anything it is my fault and I should have referred to ‘newly certified divers.’

People do need to continue in their education in areas that interest them.
My interests are presently in u/w photography; so I am looking at classes and new gear. Ah, the thrill of the hunt of new dive gear…

I also directly agree that some people start taking classes and forget to go diving for fun. This was one of the reason I stopped teaching some years ago- my log book looked like a review of all the local dive sites.

I have a lot to learn from this world and all the divers that are in this forum.
If I stepped way out of bounds… then that’s my fault.
I defer any comments to Gulf Diving LLC, their expertise and professionalism.
Be safe and enjoy the big blue.

Andrew

Wow. Didn't mean to start a big divide here! :)

Thanks for all input. It gives me a great perspective.
Aaron

............... :popcorn: :D

I hope this isn't steering things too off course, but I have a related question. I too am very new to scuba (ok, ok, I'm still not certified, but the checkout dives are in two weeks! :D), and I'm all for playing things conservatively. I, for one, will probably tack on the shopping list of certs/classes that were mentioned previously before going to FG, for both getting exposure to more types of diving and getting into the water more.

So my question is this: where can a diver get experience with the issues faced in the open ocean (current, boarding the board, seas, etc.) before you go on a trip to a place like FG?

I'm honestly asking for suggestions, because like I said before, I'm attacking this sport in a very enthusiastic, but conservative manner. If the answer comes down to you need to go to FG or something similar, but only until you are comfortable with your other skills, so be it (that's sorta what I'm guessing the responses will be).

So what say ye?

Dave

tank29:
So my question is this: where can a diver get experience with the issues faced in the open ocean (current, boarding the board, seas, etc.) before you go on a trip to a place like FG?

I'm honestly asking for suggestions, because like I said before, I'm attacking this sport in a very enthusiastic, but conservative manner. If the answer comes down to you need to go to FG or something similar, but only until you are comfortable with your other skills, so be it (that's sorta what I'm guessing the responses will be).

So what say ye?

Dave

You need to go to FG but only when you are comfortable with your other skills.

:D

Seriously, good question. Kinda like the catch-22 of to get credit you need a credit history but how do you get a credit history until someone will give you credit. There is a first time for everything we do, you gain new experience by moving forward beyond your current experience. The key is to do so in small increments and/or under the guidance of those with the experience. Thus the reason for classes as an entry for various types of diving (i.e. deep, wreck, cave, etc).

I'd suggest making a list of all the aspects of diving in general (buoyancy, trim, ascent, safety skills, equipment, etc.) and all the aspects of diving at FG (ocean waves/current, deep, line descent/ascent, ladder exits, etc.). I haven't the time to name them all here. You can knock out everything in the first list in the local lakes, and you should conquer everything in the first list before worrying about the second list. Then start knocking out what you can in the second list until you have it down to a few items. I think IMO that it's OK to go out there with a few unknowns. Maybe you haven't done a 6' high giant stride or descended on a line. That's OK, you can handle a few new things, the key is to not have a dozen new things flying at you all at once.

ReefHound:
You need to go to FG but only when you are comfortable with your other skills.

:D

I would like to try the FG now, at almost 100 dives. I hope to someday go out and be confident that I will not puke the entire trip. So, I guess that kinda means never for me...

ReefHound:
Seriously, good question. Kinda like the catch-22 of to get credit you need a credit history but how do you get a credit history until someone will give you credit.

For real! Or job experience, until you get a job... or experience on a basketball court, without being put in the game... or diving experience, until you get out and dive...:wink:

ReefHound:
There is a first time for everything we do, you gain new experience by moving forward beyond your current experience. The key is to do so in small increments and/or under the guidance of those with the experience. Thus the reason for classes as an entry for various types of diving (i.e. deep, wreck, cave, etc).

Every dive experience for me has been a learning experience. I daresay that it always will be. That's one of the most magnificent things about diving.

ReefHound:
I'd suggest making a list of all the aspects of diving in general (buoyancy, trim, ascent, safety skills, equipment, etc.) and all the aspects of diving at FG (ocean waves/current, deep, line descent/ascent, ladder exits, etc.). I haven't the time to name them all here. You can knock out everything in the first list in the local lakes, and you should conquer everything in the first list before worrying about the second list. Then start knocking out what you can in the second list until you have it down to a few items. I think IMO that it's OK to go out there with a few unknowns. Maybe you haven't done a 6' high giant stride or descended on a line. That's OK, you can handle a few new things, the key is to not have a dozen new things flying at you all at once.

ReefHound, your answer was right on the money. I couldn't agree more. And, I honestly feel that Aaron should get some lake experience, first. I had some lake experience when I did my first ocean dives (Cozumel- easy shore dive first. Of course, then I found out it's easier to dive off a boat in Coz than shore dive, OR lake dive, ha! Then Roatan) and had no problems except a flooded mask, which after the initial shock, I was able to calmly replace at 50 ft, and I was so proud of myself (I know, I know- yes, I still am.) Anyway, just wanted to chime in, and say that Aaron would do himself well to heed your advice.

Foo:
ReefHound, your answer was right on the money. I couldn't agree more. And, I honestly feel that Aaron should get some lake experience, first. I had some lake experience when I did my first ocean dives (Cozumel- easy shore dive first. Of course, then I found out it's easier to dive off a boat in Coz than shore dive, OR lake dive, ha! Then Roatan) and had no problems except a flooded mask, which after the initial shock, I was able to calmly replace at 50 ft, and I was so proud of myself (I know, I know- yes, I still am.) Anyway, just wanted to chime in, and say that Aaron would do himself well to heed your advice.

I agree with you on that about Cozumel. It was a very fun and relaxing dive. I was a little worried about the current because I kept hearing so much about it, but that was the best part i just sat back and coasted. This was my first ocean dive and was very nice and relaxing.

Back
Top Bottom