Flower Gardens Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron203

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been reading and checking out pictures on the Flower Garden. It looks like a great trip, but I'm worried about the amount of skill it takes.

I am a relatively new diver (~15 dives) and all of my dives have been in either Texas Lakes or at Cozumel (i.e. I can see the shore at all times :) ).

I feel confident enough in my abilities that I'm going to get to the AOW this spring.

This long narrative brings me to my question: What is the Flower Garden trip like? Is there an easier "open ocean" like dive that is recommended?

Any thoughts or comments are appreicated.

Thanks!

Aaron,

There are a number of trip reports and details posted about the Gardens. Probably enough to keep you reading for awile.

Are you comfortable in current?
Are you willing to listen to and follow a dive briefing to the letter?
Are you comfortable diving with a buddy and without a DM holding your hand?
Are you comfortable diving in currents?
Are you comfortable surfacing in waves and trying to mount a moving ladder.

Have you done any or all of the previous listed items?

It can be a great trip. It's definitely a unique trip. Summer trips tend to be the easier trips to go on. The Gulf can settle down and play nice and make for a great trip.

TwoBit

I've seen divers who did their first OW dives at the FGB and did fine. And "experienced" divers who simply were not able to handle the conditions. In the spring, conditions tend to be rather difficult so it would be best for newer diver to plan on a July or August trip when the seas are better. AOW is probably not a bad idea but FGB is perfect for Nitrox. If you want to ease your way into it, you might try a rig trip or two in the Gulf before you go for FGB. Conditions are similar but it is only a day trip.

i was in your shoes last yr.

did some quarries, cozumel and then went and went on the spree over labor day weekened. it was incredible. eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, eat. repeat.

just know at all times where the line is. me and a buddy just went ahead and explored on our own. if you're not comfortable navigating, just don't stray far away from the line.

there were two groups there, and i don't think they would've minded if we tagged along with them. they seemed nice enough. they even offered a glow stick for the night dive :)

it's not the number of dives. it's how you handle it. there was a diver who kept on boasting how they went from ow to rescue in 6 months and will start dm soon. then she did the giant stride and her mask strap fell off. she started to panic and melanie had to dive in to get her out.

just be prepared, and if you're comfortable, go for it.

I hadn't thought about the rig dives. Thats a pretty good idea.

Thanks for the tips so far!

Let’s cut the BS.
Minimum is Advanced, Night, Deep, Nitrox (using a computer) and basic navigation.

Anything else is dicing with problems-
Square tables on air, no night dive- what’s the point?
Call it what it is- Open ocean diving and the ocean is wicked mistress.

Most divers are not solid for their first 25 dives and it takes 100 dives or the rank of divemaster before most a rock solid.

We teach on a modular system and Open water is nothing more than getting your feet wet and letting you buy dive gear. Your certification card will probably say max depth of 65ft. The tie in is anywhere from 45 to 65 ft.

Make this something you work towards. (This is a good thing...)
Buy your gear, take AOW (night, deep, navigation) and Nitrox.
Then there is a whole slue of theories, ideas, and skills you need to master.
Again work towards a goal and enjoy the learning process.
Get a mentor.

It’s not fair to say someone with open water certification did the dives-
It was a trust me dive and nothing more.

Andrew

Crazyduck:
It’s not fair to say someone with open water certification did the dives- It was a trust me dive and nothing more.

Andrew

I agree. Lots of people drive home drunk from the bar and the vast majority make it home just fine but that doesn't mean it's safe or wise. Sure, take an OW diver to FG and chances are nothing will happen.

There isn't any single aspect of diving FG that is very difficult. But there are a lot of factors in play and a new diver could easily develop task overload. Everybody says they are comfortable in the water. It's when something happens like the previous example of the mask coming off on entry that one can find themself flustered.

Hey, I can say for sure that I have a buddy that's Open Water that has more poise and skill in the water than a lot of instructors that I've seen (doesn't say much). And using the DM card as a benchmark still doesn't say much. I try my best not to judge a person by their c-cards (I've got me a few, and most of them are soiled because of the people I saw in my class get them), but rather their skills in the water.

Of course, there are always exceptions. I'm sure there are 12-year-olds out there that can drive better than 25-yr olds, too. As a rule of thumb you generally expect to see one with 100 dives be a little better in the water than one with 10 dives. A DM card doesn't guarantee anything but it proves the guy at least had the *opportunity* to learn and become proficient.

My advice is get more experience unless you are 100% accompanied by a very experienced diver for a dive buddy, these dives are not for the meek and they are not guided by a DM

Back
Top Bottom