Diving Texas flower gardens with MV Fling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrasherg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I just booked my first ever liveabord dive for myself, wife and our 23yr daughter, we are all PADI advanced rated, been diving 15+ years and have nitrox ratings. We are intending to use full 3mm wetsuits (the dive is the weekend of 21 July) so water shouldn’t be too cold.
As stated this is a first liveabord for us, so welcome to all suggestions, things to do/take, things to not do or look out for… none of us suffer from seasickness and we have been diving in the last few weeks (so not rusty!).
this will also be our first time at flower gardens, so any recommendations on places to dive or things to look for ? Obviously the boat captain will decide the final locations but might be open to requests!!

Regards Gary

Gary, speaking as a Captain who ran Flower Gardens trips for 20 years, the Flower Gardens liveaboard is not like others.

There is not much choice of dive sites. 5 buoys on West Flower Garden banks, and 7 on the East bank, 4 on Stetson, and they are all pretty similar. You will have a choice of 2 rigs for the rig dive, but again, one looks pretty much like another.

The Fling has added the ability to choose your bunk, so at least the three of you can be in the same bunkroom, but beware that privacy is at an absolute minimum on the Fling. If your 23 year old daughter is bashful or shy, it may not be the right boat for you.

With all of that said, the diving is spectacular, and still one of my favorite places to dive after thousands of dives there. I'd go back and run a trip tomorrow if I still lived nearby. @ReefHound on this board has far more recent experience at the Flower gardens than I do, as he crews the Fling.

Have an awesome trip, and you picked the right month to go out there. Capt. Dennis has made vast improvements to the Menu, so if you all don't gain 10 pounds collectively, I'll be very surprised.

Just got back from FGBNMS with MV Fling- 08-11 June. Dove it all- East, West, 2 rigs, Stetson bank, 2 night dives. Kick ass Texas diving. Take some meds for motion anyway (Bonine (meclazine) works for me without the sleepy of the others) This is a great trip with a great staff, but it ain't resort diving. This trip is an adventure and you should plan accordingly. 100+ miles out into the Gulf, no cell coverage, but a bucket list dive to be sure.

@Thrasherg You and the fam will have a great time.
@Wookie summed it up perfectly.

I agree with @Sensorone on meds; get a prescription for Scopolamine patches.

@Dan excellent videos; I love the 1st one with labels for the marine life; the cleaning station was busy.

Here is my report from last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom