Trip Report Aboard MV Fling 5 Day REEF AAT Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I enjoyed reading about your trip. Looking at taking a trip on the Fling next year.

We arrived for boarding at 1930 on July 30, 2023. The first thing they had everybody do is disinfect their gear in large tubs. A precautionary step not to bring any infectious diseases to the corals out at the Flower Gardens.

Do you know what was used for disinfectant? I'm going to Bonaire next month and It's been difficult so far to find something that is:
1- Anti-bacterial
2- Biodegradable (and reef-safe)
3- Won't damage mask, regs, computer, neoprene, O-Rings, etc.
4- Affordable in quantity.

Thanks for the report.

We arrived for boarding at 1930 on July 30, 2023. The first thing they had everybody do is disinfect their gear in large tubs. A precautionary step not to bring any infectious diseases to the corals out at the Flower Gardens.

Do you know what was used for disinfectant? I'm going to Bonaire next month and It's been difficult so far to find something that is:
1- Anti-bacterial
2- Biodegradable (and reef-safe)
3- Won't damage mask, regs, computer, neoprene, O-Rings, etc.
4- Affordable in quantity.

Thanks for the report.
LMGTFY

Attachments

• coral-disease-decontamination-protocol.pdf
    60.3 KB · Views: 86
LMGTFY

Thanks for that precise answer. With the "dumpster" of information out there in Google-land, I was finding it nearly impossible to nail down a single product that checked all the boxes. The fact that it is available in non-liquid form makes it perfect for international travel. I just ordered a bottle. And your Flower Garden trip is definitely on my bucket list.

Thanks for that precise answer. With the "dumpster" of information out there in Google-land, I was finding it nearly impossible to nail down a single product that checked all the boxes. The fact that it is available in non-liquid form makes it perfect for international travel. I just ordered a bottle. And your Flower Garden trip is definitely on my bucket list.
Not mine any more, I only consult on electrical issues and air compressor maintenance.

So at times some of this might get excruciatingly detailed, anything left out can be found on the MV Fling website.
Delighted to see your trip report. The Fling doesn't get a lot of them, though what it gets are good. As for excruciatingly detailed, that's a good thing, especially where a liveaboard is concerned, since you are literally trapped on the boat for an extended time.

We lucked out with the weather and seas;
Stellar weather for you all. It's the fellow passengers that are 'like-minded' that make any liveaboard( or dive) really enjoyable and these sound like 'Your Kinda People' !! Excellent detailed report that I know takes many many hours to assemble!!

...., but so far I have not run into any scientists who have used their data.
In the world of fishing regulations, many of us 'refute' data from nicely paid environmentally funded scientists who lean towards grant funding. I have seen totally whacked out population model numbers presented that are 100% refuted by actual REEF surveys and then listened to a PHD, trash the REEF people's reputations. It's politics pure and simple,,,,,,But change is coming as U/W autonomous vehicles with fish recognition software is getting cheaper and almost impossible to refute. There are people working with the goal of "Count every fish in the ocean" and I'll bet it happens in the next 40-50 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom