Trip Report Aboard MV Fling 5 Day REEF AAT Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pipehorse

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Boarded the MV Fling in Freeport Texas last night to do a REEF (Reef Environmental Education Foundation) AAT (Advanced Assessment Team) 5 day charter. My understanding is, the charters are usually shorter but REEF arranged this so its longer. They have wifi aboard so instead of waiting until I get home to write this, I will try to see if I can add to it as the trip develops, I guess it just depends on how busy we are discussing what fish we did or did not see.

For those of you familiar with the vessel, I am in berth 18, which is in a four person cabin, but only two of us in there. I will not bother going through a detailed description of the vessel, that can be found on Fling's website. Interesting enough, though I worked on large ships for a living I have only been on one live aboard before. The individual in the same cabin as me, was also on that same live aboard over twenty years ago.

Crew is professional and friendly. Unfortunately first snafu of the trip is no nitrox. I don't think I have done a dive deeper than 60 feet not on nitrox in about twenty years, so a little disappointed by that. Currently we are on the way to West Bank and will be arriving momentarily. Tip for would be passengers of the Fling: They have a wakeup call at 0700, get up earlier to get your bathroom business done, and you won't have to wait. Alright, first dive an hour from now.

So, I thought I was going to be able to do a day by day report. Unfortunately, I will not be able to do the trip justice with the amount of time I have while on the vessel. This write up will have to wait until I get home.

Bummer. Enjoy the trip, and I look forward to your report!

Boarding and Briefing:

This is a continuation of my aborted attempt to do a trip report during the trip. The trip took place from 7:30pm 7/30 to 6:30pm 8/4. This was not one of the regularly run charters they have aboard the MV Fling. Everybody making the trip were REEF members doing fish surveys on every dive. I will write more about the specifics of that later on, for now I would like to describe procedures common to the vessel and diving off same. Also, despite having worked on cargo ships as a marine engineer for thirty years, my live aboard diving boat experience is very limited. With just one other live aboard experience prior to this. So at times some of this might get excruciatingly detailed, anything left out can be found on the MV Fling website.

We arrived for boarding at 1930 on July 30, 2023. The first thing they had everybody do is disinfect their gear in large tubs. A precautionary step not to bring any infectious diseases to the corals out at the Flower Gardens. We were each given a plastic tab with our berth number on it (mine was 18). This gets tie wrapped to D-ring on your BC for the duration of trip. It is removed at the end of the last dive. The crew uses that number to keep track of dive entry and exits and do follow ups on how you are feeling between dives.

07-30-23 MV Fling.JPG

After part of MV Fling at the dock in Freeport, Texas.

When the dive gear was disinfected, they gave a very minor briefing on setting up gear and then we were allowed to board. There are four rows of tanks with benches. Two of the rows are down the center and two on either side. There are no assigned spots. You pick a tank, put your BC on it, and stow your other stuff under the bench. That spot remains yours for the duration of the trip. Above each bench are rails with hangers for wetsuits. They suggest not to hang wetsuits on the rails over the side benches while underway, as they might get blown overboard. This leads to everybody hanging their wetsuits in the middle, which becomes a bit distraction for those with middle bench seats (I was the port middle bench forward near the camera station). There are whips from the filling stations over the benches. After a dive you remove your first stage, and the crew member in charge of filling attaches the whip to fill the tank. Dust cover put back on the valve signifies a filled tank. Fills were to 3200 psi in an 80cuft aluminum tank.

Once we had dive gear set up, we had just enough time to stow dry gear in our cabins, and they started the vessel safety/vessel general/dive procedure/galley briefing as we were getting underway at about 2030, this took about1.5 hours. I am not going to describe vessel safety and vessel general surveys.

There are three heads (toilets on the ship), the one forward is used sparingly and only to pee because it has small piping from it to the sewage plant and is prone to clogging. Forward cabins fit two people, aft cabins fit four people, and there are four bunks that are in the aft passageway. Total compliment of passengers is 30, we had 22. I was in Cabin E, with one other person. So I had the top bunk to spread out all my dry stuff. These cabins don't have a lot of space. There is some room to stow bags under the bottom bunk, if you happen to have four in a room. I thought having just the three heads would make things uncomfortable, but I never had waited more than a few minutes to use one. Getting up earlier than the wakeup call helps, because at least half the people will get up at that time and to the heads all at the same time.

There are three meals a day plus snacks in between, really almost too much food. Continental breakfast before the first dive at 0800. Hot breakfast after the dive. Lunch after the 1100 dive, snacks before the 1600 dive, dinner and desert at 1800, night dive at somewhere between 1900-2030, and then another desert! After the night dive on the first day, Tiffany made a blackberry cobbler to die for. It’s all comfort food, tacos, pulled pork, shepherd’s pie, burgers, Texas Barbecue, chicken and rice. They will make vegetarian dishes if that is what your diet requires.

There are seven crew members, two captains, two divemaster’s, the tankfill person, and the most important people two cooks. Being from a maritime background I thought two captains was somewhat of an oddity, I would expect a captain and a mate. On this trip we had David and Michael as captains. Aaron and John as divemasters. Tiara and Tiffany in the galley, and Jake filling air tanks. Briefing took about ninety minutes. I can't say enough nice things about the entire crew. They are all friendly, patient, and professional. Only the captains are compensated by the company, crew works for tips. I tipped appropriately for what I thought was excellent service. On day three a fast boat hired by the company to bring a spare part out to the vessel (nitrox compressor part) also brought a replacement cook (Penny) to replace Tiffany. Tiffany was suffering from maybe a sinus infection that just would not quit. Also, one of the passengers had a medical condition unrelated to diving. So the passenger, her husband, and Tiffany all left on the fast boat, and Penny stayed behind.

Lastly from the briefings is the dive procedure. The ship ties into a moored buoy. One of the divemaster’s runs a line from about halfway down the mooring line to the aft of the vessel (the sideline) where the ladders are located. In addition to that line, they run a tag line behind the vessel as 100 yards, with more lines standing by to extend it. They attach smaller lines to each ladder. Descents are made by giant striding off port or starboard just aft house and then pulling oneself down the line running to the mooring line and pulling down the mooring line. Ascents are made similarly except you work your way to the aft the boat, when a ladder is clear, grabbing the ladder line, removing fins, and then climbing the ladder. Dive master checks your bunk tag number and records max depth and time of dive. They don't allow free descents and ascents; you are supposed to use the lines for that. They have two weighted safety stop lines, one with a regulator on it. You can come offline to use the safety stop lines prior to using the ladder line. Because of currents, most of the time it was easier to use the lines for ascent or descent (their way). Occasionally I found myself dropping off a line quickly or doing free ascent (my way) depending on my relative position to the boat, the reef, and what the current was doing. In a really ripping current it would be most advisable to stay on the lines. The procedure is similar for the oil rig dives, but there is no mooring line. The boat is tied to platform forward, the sideline is attached directly to the rig. You take the sideline down to the rig, remain within the boundaries of the rig for the dive, and return by sideline. Letting the current move you along while you gently let the sideline slide through your hand, as opposed to pulling on the sideline which might have the unintended consequence of pulling the boat towards the rig. Night dives required cylum or tank light for each diver. One light per diver, plus one light per buddy team.

Once aboard after a dive, there are two large rinse barrels for cameras. There is a large table dedicated for camera storage. There are two very good shower heads just aft of all the gear. I believe they have a dedicated shower inside the vessel but seems to me that everybody used the shower heads outside for rinsing and bathing. That might not be practical during cooler months but during July and August it was perfect. All the warm water you could possibly want.

Attachments

• 07-04-23 The Dives.jpg
    07-04-23 The Dives.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 08-02-23 Dog Snapper1.jpg
    08-02-23 Dog Snapper1.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 08-08-23 MASTER FOR FGB.JPG
    08-08-23 MASTER FOR FGB.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 08-08-23 Tesselated.jpg
    08-08-23 Tesselated.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 58
Continued

The Trip Purpose:

This was a specially chartered trip through REEF. REEF stands for Reef Environmental Education Foundation. It was started thirty years. Paul Humann and Ned Deloach are the founders. Its main project is the VFSP, Volunteer Fish Survey Project. Recreational divers make observations of the fish they observe during a dive and submit the data to REEF. Originally the project only covered the Tropical Western Atlantic. It now extends to areas covering most of the planet. REEF has other projects and programs besides the VFSP. You can read about them here,

With regards to this trip, in the early days of REEF many trips were run out to the Flower Gardens. However, that has not been the case recently. There are some large gaps in data for the Flower Gardens Bank, so REEF staff thought a trip out there would be appropriate. Despite having done thousands of surveys, I have only been on a few REEF trips. Having heard about the Flower Gardens for some thirty odd years now, I thought it was time to check it out. Generally REEF trips will have one or two REEF staffers attending. This trip was an exception to that rule. Six out of a total of 10 REEF staffers were present, and a few other scientists that work for other entities but have been associated with REEF from the very beginning.

Accessibility is always an issue when doing wildlife surveys. In the case of the Flower Gardens Banks, including all the sites at the West Bank, East Bank, and Stetson Bank, approximately 3800 surveys have been submitted since 1993. For comparison's sake the Blue Heron Bridge site has 3100 surveys submitted since 1993. Blue Heron Bridge is one of the most accessible sites in the TWA region, Flower Garden Banks might be the least accessible. With 22 individuals surveying with 18 dives per individual this trip would have the potential to increase the data by 392 surveys, or approximately 10%. Of course, not all the divers did all 18 dives (I did). However, the crew of the MV Fling by virtue of being a captive audience had now been indoctrinated into doing surveys. At least one member of the crew submitted at least one survey. Survey sheets, slates, and a curriculum were left aboard the MV Fling for the crew. In this way the good word of fish surveying can now be passed along to their other customers. The crew stated that they are normally used to knowing more about sea life than their customers. However, on this trip the customers were far more well versed on the sea life than the crew.

The Diving:

07-04-23 The Dives.jpg

List of Dives for The REEF Trip Aboard the MV Fling

In general, there are four distinct places to dive on one of these trips. West Flower Garden Banks, East Flower Garden Banks, Stetson Banks, and Oil Rigs. We did eighteen dives. Four on Monday through Thursday, and two on Friday morning. For our trip it was five on the Western Garden Bank, seven on the Eastern Garden Bank, four on Stetson Bank, and two oil rigs. Notice the oil rigs are denoted as HI, which stands for High Island. The first oil rig(379B) was a working oil rig, the second was not.

The MV Fling is outfitted for nitrox. Unfortunately on this trip the air compressor was working but whatever area of the system that provides oxygen was not working. I did not know about this until we were underway. Had I known prior to boarding, I would have seriously considered skipping the trip. Multiple dives over multiple days in depths of 60-90 feet on air at age 62 and being overweight is not exactly ideal. Since I was certified to dive nitrox in 1999 60ft has been my cutoff for air vs. nitrox, i.e., below sixty I am on nitrox. The exception to this was in 2004 when I was part of a survey team providing a species baseline in Diego Garcia for the US Navy, of course I was 19 years younger and weighed significantly less than I do know. Dive plan on the Peregrine I have shown 31 minutes at 70 feet NDL on air, and 53 minutes at 70 feet on 32% nitrox. Typical profile for this trip was 74ft max depth, 51 avg depth, for 45 minutes. My air consumption for 45 minutes was running about 2000 psi. With the nitrox I am guessing dives would have been limited to 60 minutes. So that would have worked out well NDL wise and air consumption wise. The bottom time is important, especially for trying to find tiny species like Rusty Gobies, and Blue Gold Gobies. But for me the most important factor is not having to fight the feeling of exhaustion that comes from off gassing on air for multiple dives of multiple days. Enough said, we did the dives on air and still got our fish surveys done.

If lack of nitrox was the yin, then the weather was the yang. Granted it was warm, but wind conditions and water conditions could not have been much better. Just beautiful flat calm seas, and almost no cloud cover for the entirety of the trip. Sea temperatures were a perfect 83f at depth with 86f at the surface. I wore a 2mm shorty the whole time but could have gone without it. The worst visibility encountered was maybe 80ft and the best over 100ft. So, if somebody gave me the choice of foul weather and nitrox or weather like we had and air. I would have to go with better weather and air option.

08-02-23 Dog Snapper1.jpg

Dog Snapper on the East Bank Flower Gardens

Continued:

Unfortunately, my writing skills and wide angle setting on my iphone in a Sealife sportsdiver do not allow me to do justice to the corals on the West and East Bank Flower Gardens. Absolutely stunningly breathtaking coral formations. Maybe not one of the seven wonders of the natural world, but not that far behind. Figure a depth of 90ft in the sand with coral mounds made up of Montastrea and Orbicella reaching a depth of 60ft, all on top of each other and stretching as far as visibility allows you to see. I have not seen anything like it that compares in the Atlantic Ocean. I have limited diving experience in the Indian and Pacific Oceans but have not seen anything that compares in either of those oceans either. No bleaching, no disease. Just a small inkling of what places look like with minimal anthropogenic effect.

I am quite sure that people who dive these sites on a more regular basis could describe differences between the West and East Flower Garden Banks. If you dropped me on one place or the other right now and asked me which is which I would not be able to tell you. And I took notes after each and every dive! Stetson Bank is a whole different sought of look. It’s not about coral, it’s about geological formations. Sharp ridges with small valleys in between the ridges. Some describe it as a moonscape, to me it looked something like a mining operation that left nothing but exposed stone. Salt domes pushed through the earth's crust shattering the rock and causing the sharp ridges, the stratification is easy to observe in the stones. There is some coral here but tiny little formations, scattered among the stone. Some of the ridges were shallow 52ft-55ft, which allowed a little longer bottom time to search out tiny fish.

The last habitat, but not in order of diving were the two oil rigs. The first rig we were on was a working rig. The captain explained that diving on working oil rigs is not an issue as long as the rig doesn't have something going on, supply boat arriving, or perhaps welders in the water, something where divers in the water would interfere with the operation of the rig. From a diving perspective the difference between a working and non-working rig is the noise created by the working rig. Working rig has at least a generator running, in addition to other machinery. The noise from that machinery travels right down the legs of the platform and into the water. We had the longest bottom times on the oil rigs of 90 minutes and 60 minutes respectively because we could make observations at shallower depths than on the reefs. The two most abundant organisms found on the oil rig are both invasive species. Orange cup coral from the Indo-Pacific, and Regal Demoiselle also from the Indo-Pacific. The irony of course is that Regal Demoiselle is believed to arrived in the Gulf of Mexico on an oil rig transported across the ocean from the Red Sea.

When doing REEF surveys, the easiest way to record fish sightings is by using underwater paper with a list of common species of an area, lists can be purchased from REEF. For the tropical western Atlantic there are three separate lists you can use. The long form, the short form, and one specifically for the Flower Garden Banks. We were all using the Flower Gardens Bank list. Once a survey is completed it can be submitted to for addition to the database. This does happen automatically REEF personnel look for discrepancies and odd sightings before uploading to the database. REEF only has two staffers that do the checking and uploading, so there is a delay between submission and the time the data shows up in the database. WIFI was available aboard the MV Fling for $55.00. I had a laptop, so I bought the WIFI access so I could do my surveys on the submission page right after a dive. REEF also has an offline app that allows a survey to be filled out in the absence of internet connection.

08-08-23 MASTER FOR FGB.JPG

Master List of Fish Observed by Me On FGB

A couple of dives into a REEF trip a REEF staffer will start to keep track of a "Master List" of all the fish seen by all of the divers. No one diver sees all the fish, so the group effort is important for the database. I keep a Master List of all the fish I see, to help focus on fish I have not seen and find them. Each dive my counts were in the high thirties or low forties. From above all the fish with a check mark or number are the fish I observed during the trip. The fish with "o" written next to them are fish somebody else in the group saw, that I did not. The second page are write in species that do not occur on the list. My total was 93 species of fish and one Loggerhead Turtle. Better breakdowns of abundance, species at different sites, more common species, less common species can all be figured out once the data is in the database and a cvs can be downloaded to excel, or any other statistical program you might have.

Of note, Manta Rays are supposed to be common this time of year, we got shutout. Whale Sharks are supposed to make appearances in July, so we were a little late for that, no Whale Sharks. Mardi Gras Wrasse remained elusive as well. Silky and Sandbar Sharks were observed at Stetson Banks. One Hammerhead Shark observed on an oil rig, and one Hammerhead Shark observed on East or West Bank I can't remember which. The Dog Snappers on the East and West Banks were huge, at least 30 inches tail to snout. There were the same number of species on the rigs as the reefs. However, I would say the biomass of fish on the rigs was greater than the biomass of fish on the reefs. My favorite on the rigs was the Tesselated Blennies that lives in barnacles.

08-08-23 Tesselated.jpg

Tesselated Blenny

The invasive Regal Demoiselle has so far not been able to take up residence on the East and West Banks. We only found one, however, it was the most abundant fish on the oil rigs. And it was in great abundance at the Stetson Banks. REEF staffers did a great job of spotting smaller Gobies and Blennies including Blue Gold Gobies, Rusty Gobies, and Dwarf Blenny Complex (I need to get a prescription lens for my mask). The Silky and Sandbar Shark were new species for me, not sure on any others. It will be easy to tell once the surveys are in the database.

Overall, a great trip! Somewhat exhausting because of the lack of nitrox. Certainly, if I lived in Texas, I would be using the MV Fling often. I think if I do go on another trip there, it would be shorter. We were lucky to only have 22 divers, which was very manageable. 30 divers may be a little too many for me. We lucked out with the weather and seas; it could be a little uncomfortable in rough seas for sure. Again, the crew is awesome! So yeah, if you have been thinking about it, take the plunge, you will have some great dives!

Great trip report... Thanks for sharing !!

For others who have experienced currents on this trip, how would you compare that to the currents in Maldives while doing the channel dives ?

Thanks

Pipe, great trip report. Spending so much time with the REEF people on the boat, I wonder if you have a good feel for how utilized the REEF data actually is? On paper it seems like a great idea, but so far I have not run into any scientists who have used their data. I too submit data to them regularly but I'm trying to figure out exactly how useful that is in the grand scheme. I'm also a little concerned about "collectors" using REEF data to figure out when certain species might be available at a given site. If you had any program discussions beyond just the running of trips and the collecting of data, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Pipehorse, what a great report! You were so thorough in your assessment of everything topside and below that I felt like I had been on the trip with you. Oh wait. I was on the trip with you. But your report was so good, I couldn't add a single observation. You picked excellent photos that were representative of the five days. Kudos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom