Suggestions for diving day trips from Cairns (Great Barrier Reef)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in Cairns, Australia, for a few days in October and would love to spend two days scuba diving at the Great Barrier Reef. I have contacted Cairns Dive Adventures, and the salesperson has been forthcoming with recommendations for live aboard and day trips. However, I would love to poll this diving community for an independent opinion.

I am a vacation diver with 50+ dives, PADI Advanced Open Water certified, and looking for a few easy dives. I am not interested in a live aboard trip. I am traveling alone and would feel most comfortable with a dive guide/DM.

Can you recommend dive operators that offer day trips from Cairns? I was told about TUSA Dive and Silversonic Dive from Port Douglas (a 1-hour drive away). Would you recommend them and the spots they visit?

Thank you for any leads.

I am also interested in recommendations - we were there 30 years ago, before we started diving (it's what got us to pursue it). I don't dive any longer, but my wife is still keen. (I just don't like getting up that early, but might take a plunge again).

Any suggestions for boats that combine scuba and snorkeling? And a recommendation for pure scuba (not overnight). She is intermediate PADI with 170 dives (me as well, although I haven't dove in 5 years).

Also, I've heard of many bleaching events since we were there last. How's the reef health outside Cairns?

I am also interested in recommendations - we were there 30 years ago, before we started diving (it's what got us to pursue it). I don't dive any longer, but my wife is still keen. (I just don't like getting up that early, but might take a plunge again).

Any suggestions for boats that combine scuba and snorkeling? And a recommendation for pure scuba (not overnight). She is intermediate PADI with 170 dives (me as well, although I haven't dove in 5 years).

Also, I've heard of many bleaching events since we were there last. How's the reef health outside Cairns?
Last December my son and I did a day trip with these folks -- who are south of Cairns. The boat accommodates divers and snorkelers on the same trip with a nice meal in-between dives/snorks(?) Reefs (all shallow and surrounded by sand) were okay. About as good as anything you'll see on a day trip. Well run operation. I 'd use them again if I were back in that area.

Mission Beach Dive

Thanks!

Mission beach is a bit too far from Cairns for us, but they look hood.

Ideally, looking for a super fast boat that goes both snorkel and dive. Last time (before we learned to dive), we took a high speed catamaran out one day, and a flow bost the other. We don’t have sting sea dtonachs do speed helps (as does Bonine).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom