Florida springs question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

double125's

Reaction score
hello all,
This is my first post on this forum, so please be gentle. I had a question about florida springs. I read a post on this forum stating solo diving is not permitted at Ginne spings, is this true. I am planning on visiting ginnie, blue grotto, vortex and morrison. Any info you could give me on these springs would be greatly appreciated, especially if they do not allow solo diving. I do recoganize the dangers of solo diving but I dive redundant. As for having a unfamiliar buddy I dont like taking that risk. I believe in being responsible for myself and myself only. I am not opposed to having a buddy, however I dont want my dive planning revolving around picking up the first person who came stag. I dont want this to turn into a debate about solo diving I just needed to clarify why I was interested in the solo aspect of there rules and regs. Thanks in advance.

Ginnie gets dove solo.I have no idea if it's allowed.PM Divesherpa,it's his 2nd home .

I don't remember seeing the scuba police around Ginnie or some of the other springs. Kind of doubt you will be questioned. I have seem them watching pretty close for lights in the Devil system however. Fact is, if there is much of a crowd, you are "same ocean" buddy diving, like it or not. As an alternative, if you ask around here I suspect you might be able to pick a good quality buddy. A lot of friendships have been made here that way. Worth a try.

If I may ask.....

....when do you plan on heading down?

I will be moving down to Jacksonville on Friday. I'll be going to school there but I'll have the weekends off and some weekdays. Kind of a big change for me as I don't know anybody there. I'd love to get out and enjoy the springs as well as the ocean if anyone needs a buddy and doesn't mind a little orientation. If anyone wants a buddy pm me. I'll be offline for the weekend but once I get moved in, I'll be back up and running.:D

I no that Manatee Springs State park states no solos and when you check in they will no if you have a buddy as they keep your c-card. Devils Den is very rigid as well,they tried to buddy up a third with us but he didn't have enough time to get the dive in. Most of the Springs I have visited will no if you are solo when you check in without a buddy because of filling in the release forms and no one is there with you.
Good luck and enjoy the diving in FL.

chuckrt

I will be in biloxi from 14 apr until 2 may, that opens up 2 weekends for me, one of which will be a 3 day weekend. As a rough plan I would like to hit vortex 19 apr, morrison on 20 apr,ginnie on 25 apr, blue grotto on the 26th and leave the 27th open for whatever spring I feel like going to.

All state parks in Florida don't allow solo diving, not sure about the privately owned places you mentioned.

I don't know if it's allowed in Ginnie, but no one said anything to me when I dove solo there last year.

Lucky thing no one noticed the scout lights I'd forgotten to remove when I moved from the Ginnie cavern to the Devil's spring run, where lights are forbidden to OW divers. I didn't use them for peering into the Devil's system, and I strongly recommend that no one else do so without proper certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom