Question Florida folks: What's your cold threshold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious what everyone's cold threshold is as we start getting warmer in South Florida. I ask because I got certified in November and have right at 50 dives since then and I've only used a 3mm shorty. Last weekend in Dania Beach, water temp was 74 and the coldest I've logged since November is 71. I'm almost at the point to go in board shorts and a rash guard when temp is 77 or so.

Wondering what other's feel is suit free? I know north Floridan cave folks will always be in a wet suit...Or...are you?
Once it gets below 80, I'm in a 3mm. Keeps me plenty warm down to 75 deg.... After that initial jolt on entry

I dive the Springs in 3mm, Deerfield in shorts or 3mm, I am looking for a 5mm for some 60 degree water , but use my dry suit for everything else.

81 first dive today in the keys. I got chilled so added my sharkskin vest to the 1mm zippered jacket for the second dive. Slightly warmer at 82.
Time to dust off the 3mm.

Cold tolerance varies greatly and can be impacted by the climate you live in. I was in Cozumel one winter happily diving in a t-shirt and shorts but another couple from Texas were in 5mm suit with hood and gloves and were complaining about the cold during the surface interval while I was hot.

Cold tolerance varies greatly and can be impacted by the climate you live in. I was in Cozumel one winter happily diving in a t-shirt and shorts but another couple from Texas were in 5mm suit with hood and gloves and were complaining about the cold during the surface interval while I was hot.
True, but it doesn’t always match. I’m fairly cold tolerant despite living in Florida all my life. I usually only use a thin 3/2, if a wetsuit is needed. Occasionally, I’ll add a Rashguard with a 1mm vest. My level of activity makes more of a difference than water temp.

Coldest I’ve been was in a 72 degree FL spring. I was just watching my daughter’s checkout dive most of the time. I was freezing. I’ve (previously and since) worn that same wetsuit in water 8-10 degrees colder and was fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom