Question Florida folks: What's your cold threshold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I support your decision, man 75 is downright comfortable!
One would think. At least I used to think so. Until you're on a boat in 60 degree weather with strong winds with an hour surface internal between two hour long drift dives (thus little finning to generate heat). I've seen many a Midwesterner (I used to be one) turn blue, some unable to do dive 2.

When the water is in the mid-70s and it's winter down here, which is always windy, I'm in a 7mm or a drysuit with a long boat coat for the SI.

These days I prefer my Bare Reactive 7mm with water in the mid-70s and below. Super stretchy, super comfortable, less maintance than my drysuit. I'm toasty warm and half of the boat is literally shivering and blue.

@heftysmurf

TBH, I don't know.

For summer shore dives, I wear a lycra suit.

For summer OW dives, I wear a 1mm.

For winter dives, a 3mm wetsuit from D6G (insulates like a 5mm).

I have a 3mm hooded vest to add underneath if it gets really cold.

Someday, when I'm a big kid, I'll get a DS and learn to dive caves and truly cold waters.

My avatar was me at Ginnie in nylon shorts and a t-shirt in July 2015 because it was too hot for me to wait around and try to get into my 5mm suit... I also got leg cramps after about 45 minutes that were so bad I basically drifted out, rather than swam. LOL

I'm usually good in board shorts and a rash guard down to about 75 degrees. Below that I'd prefer my 2-3mm suit down to about 68 for shorter dives (45 mins or less) and 70ish for longer (hour or more, or anything with more than a couple minutes of deco).

68 or less... drysuit, 100%. Coldest water I've dove was 52-53 degrees (drysuit, Fourth Element Arctic undergarments, drygloves, 7mm hood), warmest was a questionably clean hot tub at an RV resort doing a drain cover replacement at a balmy 98 degrees (board shorts, rash guard, the urge to vomit almost constant)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom