Trip Report Florida Dive Trip June 27 to July 7, 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visibility was a crystal clear blue and over a hundred feet and no current at all. Never even a consideration about holding on to the mooring line. Just drop and go- It was insane! We had two amazing dives moving in and out and around the wreck. So much diversity of sea life. Water temp was 82-83.

Holy wha!

Only in my dreams! Ten days ago we skipped the Bibb and Duane because of strong current. We had moderate current on the Spiegel Grove. I can't imagine "Just drop and go..." That alone would be an experience that would make diving the Spiegel Grove awesome.

"Do you and your wife and friends like fish tacos?" (scubadada) I had the wahoo fish tacos there. They were very good!

cheers,
m²V2

Day 10 took us back for 4 dives on the Spiegel Grove. I hate to break it to you all, but the 2 morning dives were once again 100+ viz. Blue Coz or Grand Cayman water. Pancake flat seas and zero current. It was epic and go wherever you wanted to go without any concerns. Various reef sharks, giant trevally, schooling jacks, Angel fish galore... We were on the 6 ball all day and I found this lovely scorpionfish just adjacent to the mooring ball and also a beautiful fireworm. We spent a lot of time in the well deck at 100 feet, doing a long swim-through from the aft to the bow area.

Afternoon dives saw the viz drop to about 60 and the current pick up noticeably, but still very easy and manageable. More sharks and more fun.
Tomorrow morning concludes the diving for this trip. It is just my group of 5 on our boat, so we are going to go dive the Duane or Bibb (still TBD) and then finish out with a shallow reef dive on Molasses Reef for sure.

upload_2020-7-5_21-35-47.png

upload_2020-7-5_21-37-7.png

Wow. Really lucky. Good for you. Really nice. Thanks for the photos.

Great report and amazing conditions!

We don’t have Giant Trevally here. What you saw was ‘probably’ African Pompano (guessing) also called Threadfin Trevally. Same family I believe.

Thx for the reports. I’ve been reading in jealousy! I’m getting back out on 7/11 which means conditions will be 30’ viz with a 2 knot current. LOL

Thanks for the posts. Wow, great conditions during your trip!!
Nothing worse than planning a trip months in advance and then get blown out..
Enjoy your last day, conditions still look great for the rest of the week!

I'm scheduled tomorrow morning with RR, diving the Speigel followed by "Capt choice" on 2nd dive. Keeping fingers crossed for awesome conditions..

Hi @Trailboss123

Hope you get to dive the Bibb. I have many fewer dives on it than the Spiegel Grove or the Duane, and never in conditions anything like you have been having. When I think of the Bibb, memories of brisk current and mediocre visibility come up.

Great reports and photos, thank you.

Today off Pompano is very quiet, seas are only about a foot and beautiful blue.
I saw my husband all the way to the bottom after he splashed, I figure he's enjoying his time right now.

Not bad topside either... Very peaceful with a nice breeze. Very glad I decided to take the day off from work today. The day right after the holidays tends to be great to go to the ocean.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom