Trip Report Florida Dive Trip June 27 to July 7, 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 3 and 4 of the Florida dive trip are in the books. Day 3 ended up being a four dive day with two afternoon dives, a twilight dive and a night dive with Loggerhead out of Boynton Beach. It was a long day, to say the least. We didn't pull back into the marina until after 10:30pm.

Dive one in the early afternoon was up north at Horseshoe. We had two new additions to our dive group and are now SIX strong. Matt and Grace are friends of mine from Portland, OR and very well traveled and experienced warm and cold water divers. They were supposed to be diving in Port Hardy, BC, Canada right now, but with the travel restrictions going into Canada, they opted to join me in Florida. This is their first time here. Anyway, we were meet at Horseshoe with very green 83 degree water and about 30 feet of cloudy visibility and moderate current. Topside conditions were ideal though. No swell to speak of really. From there we moved onto a dive site called Football Field. This dive site is on the east side of the reef and we got dropped at the beginning of a patch of reef that was quite nice. We traveled north with the current and were told that this "football field" of reef would peter out into sand, at which point, we would need to make a jump across a section of sand to the west and connect back into the main reef.

We indeed hit the end of the football field and ran into sand. Had the visibility been better, we might have been able to see across to the other side. As it was, we ventured across with very poor visibility and zero current and I think we were all wondering if something went wrong and we were doomed to being stuck over sand forever. Not to fear, reef came into view just when we were about to give up hope. The rest of the dive was awesome with lots of Loggerheads, large nurse sharks sleeping and swimming and all of the rest of the usual.

After getting back from the afternoon dives, we got wind that the dive sites south of the inlet were enjoying blue water and 75 foot viz by comparison to our experience. Our twilight and night dives were to be with Captain Alex, who made us aware and suggested we head south. Given that my group of 6 experienced divers were the only ones on the boat, he suggested we do a dive site that is not done often, but would be known to @scubadada
He said he would drop us at the very southern edge of the Boynton reef system at a drop point called 007 on the eastern side of the reef. We would move in a north easterly direction over one tongue and groove section after another (which he named Grouper Hole) in 60-90 feet of water. We would then make our way back NW across the reef and end our dive on the Boynton Ledge. Dive plan was executed to perfection and I would have to say that this was maybe the best dive I have had so far in S. Florida over the years. Water was indeed blue and viz was excellent, but getting dark due to twilight. Grouper Hole area was awesome! Reef ridges dropping down to sand, followed by another ridge and so on. About 5 of them. Very interesting topography! Due to low dive pressure, it was full of lionfish. Our group did their part and killed at least 25-30 lionfish.

Back on the boat, we all recounted how much we loved the dive and what made it special, while gearing up for the night dive. We decided to do Boynton Ledge for the night dive and it couldn't have been better. So full of life. All the night critters out. Crabs galore, spotted morays out and about, lobster.... Just a great and relaxing dive full of color with our dive lights shining on the reef ledge.

By the time we got back to West Palm, showered and settled, we were in bed about 12:45am. Back up at 6:30am this morning to have breakfast and prep for the day and then back to Boynton. Today was a 2 dive affair. It was just our group and a dive instructor and his 2 students doing AOW. We decide to stay south since Viz was so good there yesterday. WOW- would a great choice! We were met with Cozumel like blue water and nearly 100 foot visibility. The current was running south instead of its normal north. So, we started the first dive at the north end of Delray Ledge and rode it to its southern edge. Another excellent dive filled with nurse sharks, a couple of Lemon Sharks, lobsters, green and spotted morays, a stingray, turtles, etc.

Our last dive today was at Lynn's Reef. Not much to say except that the current was continuing to run south, we had some cold thermocline throughout the dive. Viz continued to be excellent with blue water and more of the same. Seas were still and flat all morning. Couldn't have been better!

Tomorrow is 2 more morning dives in Boynton, followed by an afternoon dive at Blue Heron Bridge.
More to come...

Wow, you are very lucky to have been able to dive 007 with a crossover to Clubhouse or Gulfstream. This is one of the very best of the great dives on the Boynton Reef. Captain Alex appreciated your dive experience and delivered a great dive. Nobody drops like Alex :). As you can appreciate, this is not a dive for just any group of divers. There are several dives like this in Boynton Beach for the more experienced diver. They can be quite challenging, especially with brisk current.

Diving Delray Ledges in a south current can be quite dazzling, glad you liked it.

Your posts have given me the push to schedule my next trip down July 14-21. I hope Florida gets their sh*t together.

Take care, good diving, Craig

Day 5 complete: We did two morning dives with Captain Jim and deck hand Josh from Loggerhead out of Boynton Beach followed by an afternoon dive at Blue Heron Bridge with dive instructor Rachel from Boynton Beach Dive Center.

The morning dives were in South Boynton at Seagate and then Tumble Rocks. We got dropped into Seagate on the east side of the reef thinking that we were diving into a typical north current, thus the dive drop was on the south end. Once we began to descend, it was obvious that the current was actually pushing south (just like yesterday). After finning into the current for a few minutes, I got the groups attention and we reversed course south and west over a couple of ridges. Fortunately, the current was mild enough that we could fin west slowly. After about 15 minutes, the current disappeared completely. It was like diving in Bonaire. We just meandered around for about an hour and then made our way up. All in all it was a fun dive (aren't they all?)- Nothing spectacular to note. There was a thermocline, just like yesterday and the water temp was 80 as a result. Visibility started out at 90 feet and clear blue and then reduced to about 60.

The second dive was at Tumble Rocks. We decided to dive the inside (west side) of the reef. I was the flag carrier for our tight nit group of 6. Viz was 60+ and water temp still 80. Quite a few large lionfish were taken care of by the hunters in the group. We had Loggerhead sightings and all of the other usual suspects. It was a very leisurely dive with very little to no current as we again traveled south.

After lunch and an extended surface interval drive north from Boynton to Blue Heron Bridge, we met up with our local dive guide at 3:30pm for a briefing and relaxed gear up. We entered the water at 4:30pm sharp. This would be my 3rd BHB dive (first two solo)- 2nd BHB for a couple of our others and first ever for the other two. Water temp was a balmy 84 degrees. We ended up doing a 103 minute dive with an average depth of 11 feet. We could have dived longer, but tide exchange limited us. Visibility varied. There were lots of divers and classes that negatively impacted visibility. When we got into areas where there was no one else or hadn't been for a while, it was a very pristine 70 feet. Otherwise, it was a silted up 30 feet or so. Lots of critters. Arrow crabs in abundance. We spotted a ribbon tail eel, lots of lobsters, a school of spadefish under the east bridge pilings, a couple of tiny octos, starfish, banded coral shrimp and etc. It was a nice dive- very relaxed. Oh, I forgot- 10 minutes in we saw a wonderfully large spotted eagle ray swim by within 15 feet of us. Probably the highlight for me, as I didn't anticipate or consider that happening. Too far away and moving to quickly to get a picture though.

Here are a few pics from today. Tomorrow is our last day at Boynton. 2 AM dives with Captain Jim and 2 PM dives with Captain Alex. We will likely do 2 dives up north and 2 dives down south. Not sure in which order. Hopefully the blue water and good viz hold up. Oh yeah, sea conditions were dead flat today.

Day after tomorrow is two morning dives from Riviera Beach and then an afternoon drive to Key Largo to begin 4 days of reefs and wrecks.

upload_2020-6-30_23-0-59.png

upload_2020-6-30_23-1-39.png

upload_2020-6-30_23-2-12.png

Sounds great. No sharks?
My BHB dive of July 2 (night dive) canceled due to new COVID restrictions. From reading your report it seems like the place was packed with people.
Lots of people indeed. A couple of nurses sharks yesterday.

Lots of people indeed.

Glad you guys got to dive the Bridge!

'Tis the season. Peak crowds at BHB are over the summer when schools are out and summer vacationers are visiting Florida. Add to that the increased cost of dive charters and the decreased availability of charter spots due to most boats limiting capacity. There have been many days over the last 2-3 weeks when the park has been completely full 4-5 hours before high tide!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom