fixing to start ow--gear selection questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must be southern. "fixing to start". I'm southern too but I don't live there right now.
I'm Southern and I thought the same thing!! Sorry you're north of M-D line - tough for you wabbitt.

Almost any combination of reg, BC and computer from any respected brand is "alright for a beginner" but that doesn't make it gear you actually want. I bought all my gear right after getting certified and my reg is the only thing I haven't replaced. I've found it's generally best to determine what you want and then buy it - rather than the other way around. Saves a bunch on money in the long run (would have saved me a bunch)

+1 on wait. First off, what if (horror of horrors) you don't like diving...then you're out a pretty good chunk of change. Second, and probably most importantly, take some time to try out different configurations. What you've listed here is pretty much exactly what I would have ended up with had I not found SB. It's not bad equipment-not by a long shot, but take a little time to do some looking around at some of the other configurations. Most here are staunch backplate & wing divers, and, after doing some looking around and trying out, that's where I'm ending up as well. If you're set on ScubaPro gear, at least give the X-teks a try and see how you like them. The back inflate BCs are nice and fairly clean, but for streamlining and keeping your front clean, you can't beat the BP&W. Not everyone likes them, but IMO they are worth at least trying out to see how they work for you-plus, if you have any desire to get into more 'technical' diving at some point, they can grow with you without having to reinvest in (as much) new equipment on down the line.

The lds here that's closest to me only carries scubapro but he does have a bp/w and I was looking at the
bp/w setup just figured it was more for the tech diver.
Don't know if I can try anything haven't asked yet but all his class stuff is the glide I think not sure on regs.
But ill check into the bp/w.
He said I didn't have to get any of my gear there for the class but im a real stickler for keeping my money locally.

I just started my OW cert yesterday. I have purchased the following so far:

Cressi Big Eye Evolution Mask
Aqualung Side Draft Flex Snorkel
Cressi Frog Plus Fins
Deep Sea Caribbean Dive Boots

I have been doing a lot of research on BCD's, Computers, Regs. Since my dive shop is providing all the major equipment for my OW cert I will try out the style the give me first so I have something to work off of. No need to make the investment yet if it's not needed for you to provide to do your cert.

JMO

I also advise renting for a while until you learn the ins and outs of some different styles of gear.

Now, that being said, I HIGHLY encourage you to see if you can find a backplate and wing setup to try out before you buy a BC. If you dont like it, then by all means buy a traditional jacket BC, but my biggest gear regret is being introduced to the BP/W after I already bought a Jacket BC.

Here are the pros in my book: backplate instantly takes 6lbs of lead away, wing makes holding trim super easy, you can add buckles and clips anywhere to make managing your gear super easy, harness is infinitely adjustable to fit ANY diver wearing ANY exposure gear...from a drysuit to skin diving, you can get a BP/W for the same if not less than a decent Jacket. 100% modular, if ANY part of the setup fails, you can fix the failure...and your not out $700 for a new BC...

Here are the cons: no big pockets...but even that can change.

Now I know most of this wont mean a thing to you at this stage, but after your OW class, re-read what I wrote here and itll make more sense. Better still, ask your instructor about a BP/W, or print this out and get his/her thoughts on it.

"If I knew then what I know now!"

---------- Post Merged at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Didnt see page 2...whoops.

The lds here that's closest to me only carries scubapro but he does have a bp/w and I was looking at the
bp/w setup just figured it was more for the tech diver.
Don't know if I can try anything haven't asked yet but all his class stuff is the glide I think not sure on regs.
But ill check into the bp/w.
He said I didn't have to get any of my gear there for the class but im a real stickler for keeping my money locally.

As for the BP/W being for the tech diver, I thought the same thing. (but in my case I will probably end up being one of those guys at some point in my career, so the gear made sense for me)

I digress. It doesnt HAVE to be for the tech diver. All the selling points of the setup apply just as well to the rec as they do to the tech!

The other nice thing about the BP/W, is since they are so adjustable, you can buy online for a lot less than some LDS's and get the same product. (my entire setup was ~$400 from http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/)

My take is that it totally depends on four factors.
1) Do you have any long term goals that will influence your gear selection? (Travel, tech, etc.)
2) Can you afford to lose money on the gear?
3) Are you in an area where used gear is available/there is a market for used gear?
4) Do you have friends who already dive?

#1 is the biggest reason to buy early. If you have your heart set on a particular type of diving...e.g. flying around the world diving tropical wonderlands....invest in the gear you will need for that, and train with it from the start. On the flip side, there is nothing wrong with NOT having your heart set on a particular type of diving, and in that case I'd suggest waiting and trying out a few styles of gear.

#2 is totally personal and depends on a lot of factors. The reality behind it is that used SCUBA gear has very low resale value. With new equipment expect to lose 50% before you get the gear wet.

#3 and #4 are important for several reasons. If there is a used market it will be easier to sell unwanted gear (vs. having to ship everything). If you have friends who dive it can make a lot of sense to get gear they will understand.

Personally I bought my BC (a BP/W) mid-way through the OW class and used it on the last day of OW diving. I think that was a good decision for me, based on my answers to those four questions. It may be a horrible answer for you though.

Some shops have try-out events throughout the year. Even shops without a swimming pool of their own will rent a pool and let people try out vests, BP/W, sidemount, etc.... just depends on the shop.

Talked to the dive shop he said I could try the seahawk for a couple of dives and then try a bp/w so we'll see.
I do know im going to get aow wreck deep and search and recovery the inly real deep wreck close to me is the oriskany I think
The majority are above 100 fsw
Would a scubapro form tek system
be a good bp/w setup if I decide to go that route as it allreadt has plenty of attachment points.
I do know I would like to try doubles at one point.
Thanks for all the replies I know it's
subjective to personal preference
but you have given me alot of great
advice and while not poor but no money just falling outta my pockets
I would like to get something that I'll
use for a good bit.

the form has more than enough. i myself would tend towards the pure. its a more of what you need and lees of what you dont kind of system.

So, did you run out and buy a new car to learn to drive? The best thing you can do is try out a bunch of different stuff (likely can be supplied during class), rent for a bit afterwards, and observe and ask other divers why they are diving what they have. There is a whole bunch of choices, many (if not all) are personal.

Back
Top Bottom