Roatan vs Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The age-old debate!

I have extensive experience of both islands and have chosen to make Roatan my home. So, I won't link to my blog posts because people will consider them biased. Here are two posts from people i do not even know that i feel a fair and accurate.

Here are a couple of good blog posts:

Since these names have been mentioned, I figured I would elaborate.

Tank'd Pro had a fire a couple nights ago, I believe they managed to save most with water hoses, buckets and the community working at it. I don't remember reading that operations are halted, so that's good. You can read about it in a FB group for Utila.

For the person with the 5 day trip to Utila, if you haven't looked already Alton's has a Dive & Stay package of 5 nights 10 dives private room with AC for $650 or basic dorm with fan for $375 or AC $425. All courses also come with free nights and if you add Nitrox it's $135 with another free night I believe.

Cozumel has a similar place for Dive & Stay and in fact, most every country has places like this - Just need a fine tooth comb and desire to search.

Diving Note: On Utila from Pumpkin Hill you can drift dive the reef to Roatan, about 3 miles, then take the 2pm ferry back.

Logistics: From SAP - Private Cessna, CM Airlines (local), bus/driver to La Ceiba Ferry.

Attachments

• markup_1000001534.jpg
    markup_1000001534.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 16
Diving Note: On Utila from Pumpkin Hill you can drift dive the reef to Roatan, about 3 miles, then take the 2pm ferry back.
You really might want to recheck this. The following is copied and pasted from this website.

Distance from Utila to Roatan​

There are several ways to calculate the distance from Utila to Roatan. Here are two standard methods:

Vincenty's formula (applied above)
  • 27.562 miles
  • 44.357 kilometers
  • 23.951 nautical miles
Vincenty's formula calculates the distance between latitude/longitude points on the earth's surface using an ellipsoidal model of the planet.

Haversine formula
  • 27.568 miles
  • 44.367 kilometers
  • 23.956 nautical miles
The haversine formula calculates the distance between latitude/longitude points assuming a spherical earth (great-circle distance – the shortest distance between two points).

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

thread closed for clean up

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom