Question Yet another BP/W purchasing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried my best to delete that message, but failed miserably and then settled on a strike-through.

"Report" your post and the Mods will take care of it for you.

I also love my shearwater perdix AI, double shearwater transmitters, shearwater petrel backup computer, Hollis katana 2 sidemount bcd. None of which are “cheap.” Why would I buy a halcyon BPW when a DGX is just as good….
I feel the same way about dive gear. Some brand-name products are worth the cost. I love my Shearwater computer. Halcyon probably makes some things that are really well designed and made and worth the premium. I really like my Halcyon wetnotes, for example. But to the OP's issue, a backplate is a piece of bent steel with some slots and holes, nothing more. Halcyon polishes it nicely, but that's not important to everyone. Webbing is a commodity item. As for wings, Halcyon wings are well made, but so are others, and from what I hear on SB, DGX wings are holding up well in the field. Though it's no longer manufactured, I really like my Deep Sea Supply BP/W. Halcyon definitely doesn't have a monopoly on good-quality BP/W packages.

Nothing cheap about any of it, it's just not flashy. Which is exactly what some of us prefer.

I don't need my nickname embroidered 9n my wing, or 6 chest rings sewn to my harness, or some giant goofy brand name and logo.

I think the DGX was better than the others I tried. Only quibble, I had to slowly file around the holes punched in the ss plate to get rid of sharp edges. The AL plate had no such issue.
Basically.

A backplate is a backplate. Aluminum and steel are cheap (titanium not so much). The machines that cut/bend the metal are expensive. The time a backplate spends on a machine influences the price, as well as brand that also inflates the price. Some companies put nice graphics on their backplates, like Deep 6. XDeep has put a ceramic coating on their backplates (I haven't seen these yet in person, only pictures).

So a backplate is pretty much a backplate. As long as there are no sharp edges (if there are, these are easily filed), who cares?

Moving onto harnesses. Webbing is cheap. There are differences in softness/durability. Halcyon allegedly (no personal experience) makes really nice durable webbing. Is it worth the price? For me personally, no. Now my single tank / travel BP/W is Deep 6, and they have this coating on their webbing that so far is fine, but I haven't had it long enough to gauge how much of a difference it makes in durability by being more water resistant (waterproof?).

Don't want Hogarthian? Easy to make a "deluxe" one or buy an inexpensive one. No need to go over the top with this item either.

So wings. Everybody makes good wings. Is the wing tough enough to withstand things that are sharp (within reason of course)? Most of the time, the answer is yes. Inflators are simple mechanisms. Fancy inflators have diminishing returns. Rinse it after you dive, inside and out, and you will have many years of use.

I'd rather spend my money on a scooter, rebreather, training than overpriced components/brands.

The DGX offering is a very good one. Just because it is inexpensive, doesn't mean it is cheap/poor quality. I have yet to read any complaints about their quality, and I think DGX has a pretty good representation of customers here on SB.

I feel the same way about dive gear. Some brand-name products are worth the cost. I love my Shearwater computer. Halcyon probably makes some things that are really well designed and made and worth the premium. I really like my Halcyon wetnotes, for example. But to the OP's issue, a backplate is a piece of bent steel with some slots and holes, nothing more. Halcyon polishes it nicely, but that's not important to everyone. Webbing is a commodity item. As for wings, Halcyon wings are well made, but so are others, and from what I hear on SB, DGX wings are holding up well in the field. Though it's no longer manufactured, I really like my Deep Sea Supply BP/W. Halcyon definitely doesn't have a monopoly on good-quality BP/W packages.
My logic is I'd rather spend my money on things that actually make a difference to longevity and safety. If all other things are equal between a halcyon and DGX other than name/price, it seems like a rather simple choice to me... unless I'm missing something.

Personally I only have experience with Halcyon, but then again, my Halcyon has 900 (ish) dives on it over 10 years and just about almost shows that is has been used.
And: I dive mostly in Norway in doubles. But, 30lbs is big enough for both singledry/wet/cold/warm. 40lbs doubles is good enough for coldwater/salt/fresh up to Steel D12 doubles in a dry suit.

However... A standard steel plate is a standard steel plate. Wether it be Halcyon, Hollis, DGX, Tecline and so on.
Webbing, I like the balance of soft/stiff that Halcyon has managed to make their webbing. Too soft and it flops. Too hard and its uncomfy.
If you are in Holland, I would think that the people at Scuba Academie would be able to care for you.
Are you doing your GUE-F with any of the dutch instructors?

My logic is I'd rather spend my money on things that actually make a difference to longevity and safety. If all other things are equal between a halcyon and DGX other than name/price, it seems like a rather simple choice to me... unless I'm missing something.
I don't think you're missing anything. There may be differences in the products, but they are more cosmetic or industrial design kinds of things than functional features or quality of workmanship.

I don't think you're missing anything. There may be differences in the products, but they are more cosmetic or industrial design kinds of things than functional features or quality of workmanship.
Missing the opportunity to look down one's nose at others on a dive boat? :gas::catfight::stirpot::poke::popcorn:

Personally I only have experience with Halcyon, but then again, my Halcyon has 900 (ish) dives on it over 10 years and just about almost shows that is has been used.

However... A standard steel plate is a standard steel plate. Wether it be Halcyon, Hollis, DGX, Tecline and so on.
Webbing, I like the balance of soft/stiff that Halcyon has managed to make their webbing. Too soft and it flops. Too hard and its uncomfy.
If you are in Holland, I would think that the people at Scuba Academie would be able to care for you.
Are you doing your GUE-F with any of the dutch instructors?
I actually was there a few weeks ago and dove with them. I am currently in the US for the next few months, however. I haven't decided yet on which instructor I'd like for GUE-F, but I had a good experience with scuba academie.

I actually was there a few weeks ago and dove with them. I am currently in the US for the next few months, however. I haven't decided yet on which instructor I'd like for GUE-F, but I had a good experience with scuba academie.
go find @mer at Wet Rocks Diving and interview to get on her schedule, you won't regret it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom