fixing to start ow--gear selection questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do know 90% of my dives will be northwest and west Florida and most will be in the 20-50 ft range.
No plans to travel other than there.
Though I do have brothers and sister
close to lake michigan and might try some dives there when I go visit.

The "problem" (in my opinion) with the Scubapro BP/W systems is that they are STAGGERINGLY expensive compared to the rest of the BP market (even Halcyon, which some consider overly expensive, is "cheap" by comparison).

The FORM TEK System itself is (again, my opinion) has too many features that aren't actually necessary and the wing is definitely designed for doubles and even then 60 lbs is I believe a pretty high amount of lift even for doubles.

The PURE TEK is more representative of the common BP/W setup but even then, at $775.00 retail (based on online pricing) is several hundred $$ more than one needs to spend to get a good BP/W setup (again, all my opinion)

I agree with everybody else -- don't sink a lot of money into gear until you finish your class. From time to time, people run into obstacles they can't clear when trying to get certified. Their ears won't cooperate, or they have great difficulty learning airway control, or they discover that they don't like diving as much as they thought they would.

Once you are certified, it is good advice to rent a few different kinds of gear to try, if you have the ability to do that. But most of all, you will dive more if you own gear. I bought all my stuff as soon as I finished my class, and within six months, I had replaced a good deal of it (especially the fins and the BC), but I still don't really regret having bought gear, because it got me diving, and diving brought me the people who helped me realize I had the wrong gear :)

The biggest thing, I think, for beginners, is to get a BC that really keeps the tank stable in the middle of your back. Experienced divers have learned to balance that big keel, and as Diver0001 is fond of saying, a really good diver can dive well in just about anything. But beginners can have significant difficulty with unstable equipment, and the combination of a big, fabric BC and soft or split fins leads to a lot of flailing around in the water, and diminished comfort. Make sure whatever you buy fits snugly, and that you can't shake the tank back and forth on your back very much. You've bought the Novas, and although I don't personally like them that much, they beat the tar out of floppy or split fins, in terms of helping a new diver stabilize himself in the water.

Go take your class and have fun, and come back and talk about major gear decisions :)

Last edited:
I do know 90% of my dives will be northwest and west Florida and most will be in the 20-50 ft range.
No plans to travel other than there.
Though I do have brothers and sister
close to lake michigan and might try some dives there when I go visit.

The real dividing line on travel is flying (commercial). Airlines have weight charges and limits on what you can carry. That leads to light-weight and compact diving gear (which may compromise performance for packability). Traveling by car removes a lot of restrictions.

So, did you run out and buy a new car to learn to drive?

Yes. Well, new to me. I bought a car, learned to drive, hired an instructor for one lesson to both verify that I could pass and because the school had a deal where you could use their car for the driving test (and I was told automatic would be better for the driving test - my car was stick shift), and then after taking the driving test I went back to driving my own car. The idea of renting a car to learn to drive, or even for a period after learning, strikes me as totally insane. A rental car can easily cost $300+ per week and most rental companies don't want to rent to anyone under 25. The average new driver is under 20. Much smarter to buy a car. The question is, how does that apply to diving? :)

Look into a HOG setup (available in many places)

DIR style harness, SS backplate, single tank adaptor with cam bands, and a 32# wing (you can worry about doubles when you get there) will run you a shade over $400 from Piranha. They can assemble it all for you so you just need to size it. (which your instructor or the LDS should be able to help you with even if you buy it somewhere else) They also have a "deluxe harness" ...or something like that... that has a chest strap, more D-rings, etc... either way, by sacraficing the little blue "H"s or SP badging, you save a LOT of coin.

Here are some other facts: Webbing is webbing. A stainless steel backplate is a stainless steel backplate. Features may vary a little from brand to brand, but its the same system. The wing is where you will see some variation in design, size, etc. but a HOG 32# wing at $200 versus a Halcyon Evolve wing for almost $600 seemed like a no brainer to me.

Clearly my opinion. Happy diving! :D

Thanks for the replies everyone ill try to take all into account and try out which one I like first then decide to buy after I settled on one or the other.
I know personal preference is a factor but as a new diver your opinions probably far out weigh my facts.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone ill try to take all into account and try out which one I like first then decide to buy after I settled on one or the other.
I know personal preference is a factor but as a new diver your opinions probably far out weigh my facts.

Our opinions might out weigh your opinions, but no opinion out weights a fact! :wink:

Take your time, the more it costs the less reason you have to rush it!

I personally made getting a god set of regs my priority and invested in those (after mask, boots and fins), BCD had to wait.

One word of note - I chose Aqualung purely because the school where I regularly dive are authorised service technicians, was looking at Scubapro but would have to go elsewhere for service.

Its true, regs and BC are the two largest expenses. But another consideration is regs are basically the same from one diver to the next, the BC varys substantially from one diver to the next in terms of things like size, comfort, and features. A rental reg might be exactly the same as your personal one, except for the obvious difference...rental regs get heavy use. Another plus side to renting regs for a while is most of them also come with a computer...another big (if not the biggest) expense.

Its definitely a tough call when (like most people) you cant just fork out for everything. If your going through a reputable shop, their rental fleet is going to be reliable and well maintained and safe to dive on (how many divers can you kill before people stop coming back?) Just my thoughts though. I would go with a BC before Regs if I had to do it all again.

Side note...thanks to flat rate boxes...you can get ANYTHING serviced right from your front door! So dont limit yourself to Aqualung, Scubapro, Aries, Zeagle, or any other brand just becuase its what the LDS carries... there are TONS of options!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom