Fishing ban could be lifted in Pupukea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
Im all in favor of "traditional" fishing rights. As soon as the locals start hand weaving nets out of palm fronds, they can gill net anywhere they want...

I wholeheartedly agree. Don't forget carving hooks out of bone and paddeling out in homemade canoes after walking to the ocean. Do all that and nature will do the regulation.

I hate to agree with some of the posters, but MLCDs haven't been proven to do much. The fact that the MLCDs are so small and the regulations are not enforced at all are factors that weigh heavily in the effects though. If the MLCD were expanded and enforcement officers wrote tickets (instead of issuing warnings), confiscated illegal fishing gear and prociscuted repeat offenders the MLCD would most likely be a useful tool.

Still, effective or not I think the MLCD should stay (and perhaps be expanded). While it is true that traditionally Hawaiians may have used the area for fishing, there were alot less of them then there are people living here now. The Hawaiians also had a environmental enforcement agency (Konohikis) who were able to enforce a death penality. Should we revert to that as well?
Close the MLCD to comercial operations and you won't suddenly see an open parking lot, it'll be the same or worse. Parking is an issue everywhere one North Shore, due to it's fame as a tourist destination. as well as popularity with locals. Try parking at Waimea at noon on a Sunday.
Fishermen rarely share choice spots with divers. I've had lines cast directly at me when snorkeling at Waimea Bay and fishermen throw rocks at me while I drifted by Big Sea Cave. Those aren't what I'd consider sharing.
Not to be forgotten is the fact that tourism (like it or not) is the bread and butter of Hawaii. Tourist dollars fund our way of life, even if only indirectly. Is Hauanma Bay perfect? No, but it's way better than it used to be. Adding fishermen to an already crowded Shark's Cove will be a recipe for disaster.

I think that all of us need to realize a few things....

1) Drew's truck is a P.O.S as mentioned earlier.
2) The benefits of an MLCD are worthless without enforcement.
3) It must be know, either by posted signs or the words of concerned Waimea regulars, that the area is an MLCD.

Does anyone know of a posted sign anywhere at Sharks Cove that outlines the fines for those caught violating the MLCD?

I almost came to blows with a guy and a spear gun last summer in the parking lot at Sharks Cove. He looked at me with the "Oh and what are you gonna do about it" stance and I mentioned there were another half dozen or so instructors in the water that wouldn't hesitate to stap his 3 prong in half if he got in the water!

Good debate, keep it up.

G

scottitheduck:
I think that all of us need to realize a few things....

1) Drew's truck is a P.O.S as mentioned earlier.
2) The benefits of an MLCD are worthless without enforcement.
3) It must be know, either by posted signs or the words of concerned Waimea regulars, that the area is an MLCD.

Does anyone know of a posted sign anywhere at Sharks Cove that outlines the fines for those caught violating the MLCD?

I almost came to blows with a guy and a spear gun last summer in the parking lot at Sharks Cove. He looked at me with the "Oh and what are you gonna do about it" stance and I mentioned there were another half dozen or so instructors in the water that wouldn't hesitate to stap his 3 prong in half if he got in the water!

Good debate, keep it up.

G

1. Gabe is right about my truck! I am accepting donations for a new one thru my website!!!
2. How do they expect the DLNR officers to distinguish Akule fishing for Ulua fishing or anything else.
3. I know only of the signs that are posted about the regulations (near the bathrooms and to the right of the tsunami tower) but not about punishments. I should bring this up at the next meeting. Maybe we can get better, more visible, more informative signs. Or better yet, how about a plaque similar to those found at Laie Pt or the Pu'u o Mahuka Heiau.

Dove Kahe pt today.....BLECK!

rgbmatt:
Hmm. Limited fishing vs. commercial exploitation?

Akule fishing at Pupukea was a local family tradition for decades before the MLCD was set up.

I don't think it would be local families fishing for akule if the ban was lifted, it would be one of the commercial fishing guys who would come in and surround the pile just like they do at Waimea.

Wildcard:
the fish go where the conditions favor them the most from season to season...

Like an area where there is no hunting?

rgbmatt:
Fishermen can't obliterate all of the island's fish! Overfishing has severely depleted our fish stocks, but not to the point where anything will go extinct.
Not YET! If there wasn't a Moi restocking program they would probably be close to extinction. It's been a LONG time scince I've seen a lobster, but thats not from fishermen right?

I learned how to swim at Sharks Cove when I was 4. I did my first scuba dive there in 1986. I have done literally THOUSANDS of dives there. Anyone who doesn't think MLCD work is mistaken. I have seen the changes there first hand. There are fish there that are considered RARE in the main Hawaiian Island (Knifejaws, goldrimmed surgeon) I don't think thats accidental.

I am a fisherman, and I am Hawaiian. I think restricting fishing on 1% of the coastline isn't a big deal. There should also be WAY more enforcement of the laws already in place for both fishing and commercial operations (There are limits on the number of vehicals and customers an operator can have at Sharks Cove).

Back
Top Bottom