A call for help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadrewvideo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
For those of you that love seeing the abundance of fish in the Pupukea Marine Life Conservation District (Shark's Cove through Waimea Bay), then please watch this video and spread the word.
These two guys live across the street from 3 tables and regularly poach the MLCD.
This protected marine park needs the help of all of you who love to enjoy its beauty! I am asking for all of you to keep and extra eye open and really look around to make sure that if anyone is poaching in the MLCD, then DLNR gets called.

YouTube - Poaching in Pupukea Marine Life Conservation District

If you would like to volunteer with our conservation group Malama Pupukea Waimea, then contact me or stop by our outreach tent that is set up every Saturday at Shark's Cove. We need all the help we can get this summer.

If you would like more information regarding rules, regulations, boundaries, etc about the Pupukea Marine Life Conservation District, then please visit Mālama Pūpūkea-Waimea MLCD or email me

Saved that number as well. I think it needs to be stated that nobody should try and be a hero, call the cops, report what you see, but confronting them or even following them too closely could be bad for your health.

Peace,
Greg

dude I dont see why the tape you made cant be turned over to dlnr see if they are willing to do their job .

When I see them go into the water I'd consider taking the valve stems out of their tires, that way you do no damage, but you give the police time to get there. Just be real careful and don't get caught.

I did that to some lobster poachers in New England ... it worked out very well.

In the first few years of protection I regularly made informational statements to the hunter / collectors I encountered at Shark's cove. Something like "eh bra, you know dat's illegal here now."

I think the important part is timing where and when you interact. I made sure the conversation would be heard by a bunch of other people, yet still not be anywhere near yelling. Even starting out with only enough volume to be heard 15-20 feet away, some other people should show interest.

Then as the discussion invariably goes bad the volume only needs to increase some to be attracting many spectators. If there was going to be violence it would have happened to me; I think they will do just what Drew's perp's did and run.

I did eventually have my pickup stolen at Waimea Valley Park, stripped and abandoned on the other side of the Island, so I am not saying I think there is no risk. Drew, you got theft insurance?

Mail a copy of the video on CD with instructions on how to play it to that address.

no i got a better idea see if you can get one of the news stations to run with it. first send a copy to dlnr wait one week then call them to see what has been done about it if nothing is done or they give you the runaround then send copies to all the news stations with a letter about how you sent dlnr a copy of this but they have taken no action what so ever and keep an eye out for those guys.would not surprise me if they are hitting it at night too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom