Fishing ban could be lifted in Pupukea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The idea that banning fishing along a mile of coast is "taking Pupukea away from the hawaiian people is nonsense! The Hui Malama O Pupukea Waimea group is coordinated by Butch Helemano (teaches Hawaiian language at Pupukea Rec center and is about the most Hawaiian Hawaiian you'll ever meet.)

And the idea that making it an MLCD has made no improvement is also nonsense. I cant tell you how many people have returned to dive after 10 yrs and are blown away by the increased sealife. Ask any local old timer diver if it has made a difference. As I said before, I have seen the difference in the last 5 yrs myself.

Wildcard can you explain the comment about fish going where conditions favor...I'm scratchin my mask tryin to understand that.

Wildcard:
Closing pockets of coast to fishing has never been proven to do anything.

Remember, never say never. No take areas have been proven effective for decades, even in coastal areas. Here are a few related links with selected quotes.

http://www.pacfish.org/wpapers/mpa.html

Pacific Fisheries Coalition

The first formal marine reserves in the United States were established more than 20 years ago. After just one or two years of complete protection, researchers found that fish numbers had nearly doubled, their average sizes were up by a third and the diversity of species was higher by one-fourth. The overall biomass in the reserves had almost tripled. However, full protection is critical to achieve the full range of benefits.

Hanauma Bay. Fish are more abundant beyond and on either side of Hanauma Bay because the overflow of various species enhances the stocks in the adjacent areas. This domino effect has been noticed by fishermen and divers alike.

http://www.nfcc-fisheries.org/mr_pov_2b.html

National Fisheries Conservation Center

Numerous scientific studies have repeatedly shown the fisheries benefits of no-take reserves. Prohibiting fishing in carefully selected areas will protect vulnerable habitats, rebuild depleted species, and increase their reproductive output. In addition, reserves typically increase fish catches near the reserve border, and may actually increase overall catches despite a loss of fishing grounds. A recent survey of 89 scientific papers revealed that within reserves 1) fish were 20-30% larger, 2) densities were roughly double and 3) biomass levels were nearly triple.

http://www.**********/eco/e041018/e041018.html

CYBER DIVER News Network

No-take reserves are not a cure-all -- they do not address problems such as pollution and rising temperatures -- but several recent studies suggest they can help restore fish populations and damaged ecosystems. In 1994, after fisheries collapsed in the Gulf of Maine's Georges Bank, for example, federal authorities prohibited groundfish fishing and dragging for scallops in three areas spanning 6,600 square miles. Within five years, haddock and witch flounder stocks rebounded, while scallops grew bigger and became nine to 14 times more dense than in fished areas.

http://www6.miami.edu/sharklab/aboutbimini_biminimpa.html

Bimini Biological Field Station

It should be pointed out that The Bahamas already has some experience with No Take Marine Reserves through the work of the Bahamas National Trust within the Exuma Land and Sea Park. This pioneering effort that began in 1958, allowed limited fishing within the boundaries of the Park until 1986. At that time it was determined that a complete ban on fishing was necessary. Today the Exuma Land and Sea Park provides testimony of the wisdom of that decision. Scientific research and casual observations demonstrate that the fish are larger and more abundant within the Park when compared to areas immediately outside. Another feature is that there is a more diverse species composition of the fish populations inside as compared to outside the Park.

http://www.amcs.org.au/default2.asp?active_page_id=344

Australian Marine Conservation Society

Our results showed that both marine reserves provide protection to a range of exploited fisheries species with biomass and sizes of certain species being significantly higher than in non-reserve (fished) sites. The most significant response to protection was displayed by one of the most heavily targeted fisheries species in Moreton Bay, the mud crab (Scylla serrata). The mud crab fishery in Moreton Bay is unusual as it is managed with a sex and size limit (male-only fishery). Catch rates (three times higher), mean size (10% larger) and legal-sized crabs (bucks) were significantly greater within reserve boundaries compared to crabs caught in adjacent fished waters (Pillans et al. in press). Interestingly, the catch rates of S. serrata were almost identical between both marine reserves despite Tripcony Bight reserve being three times larger in size than the Willes Island reserve. This result is consistent with numerous studies showing benefits to exploited species despite small reserve size (see Halpern 2003).

As Far as what works, the best results are when networks of no-take reserves are close enough for fish stock to cross over, from one protected area to another. On a local perspective Pupukea does this by protecting a series of different but connected ecosystems. Since Pupukea has no conecting network outside, the internal network must at least be maintained.

If the locals had been practicing Hawaiian traditional harvesting in Pupukea, it would have been vibrant and in no need of protection. Even now, 5 years protected, I'd be suprised if you find more than a handfull of lobsters on opening day! My first SC snorkle/free dive was '97, 5 years before protection, and I remember thinking "where's all the fish?" I'm sure the local fishermen really want to fish it, there's a bunch more fish now!

If you pay attention, the fish-feeding reef-walking divers are probably not with the commercial operators. I have known/seen most of the guides working SC the past 5 years and dive shop groups walking on the reef is not common and severly frowned on by most operators, as is fish-feeding. Most tourists either go with a guide, down through the sunbathers on the small beach, or they follow one of the dive shop groups, down through the sunbathers on the small beach (at least out to the dive flags). So if most tourists follow most of the guides down the path, who does that leave with the local knowlege to start their dive in the elevator shaft? Uneducated &/or disrespectful guides and locals for the most part.

I'm for more protection. In Sharks Cove; no pets, no fish-food, no wading in the tide pools, no reef-walking, no tide flats-walking and a cap on daily users in peak season (divers and snorkelers). At Three Tables; no fish-food, no reef or table-walking and it might also need a peek season cap. That would require some fences, lots of signs and at least 1.5 lifeguards daily to regulate. Finally, end pole fishing in Waimea Bay. All indications are that only Full Protection gives signifigant results, how could fish not be protected in a protected area?

I know many remember the Sharks Cove Mall defeat. This suprising 9-1-3 vote by the North Shore Neighborhood Board is not suprising to me given the muscle of the pro-fishing element. Hopefully intimidation like that will not sway DLNR from one of it's best moves, Pupukea MLCD as strong or stronger than it is. I may not live North Shore any more, but I will still remind DLNR with a similar email. It ain't Rocket Science, the Ocean needs more protection not less!

I see the big picture, just mine isn't clouded by emotion and dollar signs.

There's really no need to end pole fishing in Waimea Bay, just enforce the no alcohol in Beach Parks rule. Most places don't need more rules, just enforce the ones that already exist. Speaking of enforcement, why do you think there are still not many bugs in Sharks Cove? Can you say Poaching!

Halemano,
We are talking about opening the bay to a very limited amount of fishing. Poaching of lobsters will still be poaching of lobsters. The real reason why rules are not bing enforced, is because of the small # of DLNR enforcement officers (less than 25 for ALL of Oahu... top of the mountains to the beach).

scubadrewvideo:
I don't know about you but I dive the MLCD for the marine life...not for ease of entry and I don't believe that all an MLCD does is make a place to see fish, but even if it did, is that so bad?

There are many areas on the island with more and bigger fish than Pupukea. However, you dive Shark's Cove instead because you can't access them. It's the same for the fishermen - aside from Pupukea there are very few places where schools of akule come close enough to be caught from shore. Both of you want a place where you can carry out your respective hobbies and, unfortunately, your interests conflict with each other.

And the idea that making it an MLCD has made no improvement is also nonsense. I cant tell you how many people have returned to dive after 10 yrs and are blown away by the increased sealife. Ask any local old timer diver if it has made a difference. As I said before, I have seen the difference in the last 5 yrs myself.

I didn't say that - It's obvious that the fishing ban has resulted in plenty of big, tame fish in our MLCDs. What I'm not convinced of is that the "spillover effect" is effective in helping fishermen outside the reserves. They are too limited in scale to be significant compared with the vast pool of reproductive potential that exists in deep water and in hard-to-reach areas that receive little fishing pressure. MPAs are a popular bandwagon at the moment, but their use as a fisheries management tool in Hawaii needs a more study before they can be effective.

Who does the Pupukea MLCD benefit, then? Divers and snorkelers, not fishermen. Personally, I'm not a big fan of pole fishing and will probably never catch an akule. I enjoy watching the fish at Shark's cove, and I think it's nice that there's an area on the island where you can do that. However, I'm not selfish enough to put my own interests ahead of the everybody else's. Like it or not, this is a democratic society and everybody who is interested in using a resource should be allowed a voice. As a public agency, the DLNR should serve the greater interests of the people rather than following the ideology of a select few.

I guess the other option is to sit back and let whatever changes happen and if that means the entire islands marine life is killed off then maybe people will realize the mistakes....I just don't want it to get that far.

Now don't be silly. Fishermen can't obliterate all of the island's fish! Overfishing has severely depleted our fish stocks, but not to the point where anything will go extinct. You will find that many people would prefer to have fewer fish on the island in exchange for the freedom to go fishing when/where they'd like.

fishboy:
We are talking about opening the bay to a very limited amount of fishing. Poaching of lobsters will still be poaching of lobsters. The real reason why rules are not bing enforced, is because of the small # of DLNR enforcement officers (less than 25 for ALL of Oahu... top of the mountains to the beach).

I'd thought it was more like 3 or 4. I've never seen a conservation officer in five years of fishing on Oahu, and it's frustrating to see how many people break the rules because they know they won't get caught.

fishb0y:
what's wrong with allowing people to fish off Sharks Cove? I'm sure not very many people would fish while it's filled with divers, and vice-versa. What's fair is fair.

Were you around before protection? There were dozens of turtles rescued in Pupukea; hooks in flippers and mouths, line wrapped around flippers and necks, some didn't survive the amputations. Lots of line and nets wrapped on the coral, a lot of effort went into cleaning it up. If people could co-exist in a what's fair is fair system we would not need prisons. There were divers cutting lines &/or nets and fisherman vandalizing divers cars even when there was no fish to fight over, it would be worse now!

rgbmatt:
Hmm. Limited fishing vs. commercial exploitation?

Akule fishing at Pupukea was a local family tradition for decades before the MLCD was set up.

It's the classic "selling out to the tourists" vs "helping the island economy" debate.

So you are saying that the positive economic impact of Pupukea as a fully protected recreation area is less than Pupukea with limited Akule fishing? It was not until the third summer after protection that I saw schools of akule in Sharks Cove. I had to ask what they were because I had not encountered them in my 5 previous summers of regular Shark's Cove diving. Are these akule netting families not also commercial exploiters? Like I said before, the rules may need to be stiffend not weakend, possibly less snorklers &/or divers.

fishb0y:
The real reason why rules are not bing enforced, is because of the small # of DLNR enforcement officers.

As of a couple years ago, there was just 3 enforcement officers for the entire coast from Kaena Point to Turtle Bay so you are right about DLNR, but the enforcement issues for Pupukea also include Lifeguards and Police. According to the Public Beach Park signs, there are a number of rules not being enforced, including no pets and no alcohol. Additionally, we have increased the fine for littering but how many butt flingin' beach bums have been cited. The littering does not stop with smokers, and not all smokers do it, but using the beach as an ashtray is one of my pet peeves.

rgbmatt:
There are many areas on the island with more and bigger fish than Pupukea. However, you dive Shark's Cove instead because you can't access them. It's the same for the fishermen - aside from Pupukea there are very few places where schools of akule come close enough to be caught from shore.

Pupukea is a spectacular marine habitat. Imagine it with the bigger fish you mention! Of all the places akule come close, how many on the North Shore are protected? And you want to take that one protected area away? The bigger fish might happen if we keep the akule protected!

MPAs are a popular bandwagon at the moment, but their use as a fisheries management tool in Hawaii needs a more study before they can be effective.

You can not study somthing you do not have. The parts of the U.S. and the World that are effectively using no take areas are both diverse enough and some similar enough that arguing against no take zones here is pretty selfish &/or emotional. The probable reasons for a lack of spillover is the miniscule % of protected areas and maybe lack of enforcement. On Maui's Leeward Coast, where we snorkle and dive, there is only protection at the end of the road to the South (La Perouse) and basically the end of the road to the North-West (Honolua Bay). That's over a hundred miles of coastline apart. The protected areas on Oahu are similarly isolated where as the most effective results are seen with networks of protected areas. In order to study it we would first have to create it!

Like it or not, this is a democratic society and everybody who is interested in using a resource should be allowed a voice. As a public agency, the DLNR should serve the greater interests of the people rather than following the ideology of a select few.

As a democratic society how do we define everybody who is interested? Does it only include zip 96712 (Haleiwa - Velzy) and maybe 96796 (Wailua - Mokuleia)? What about Kahuku and Wahiawa? Does it include Waimanalo, Hawaii Kai or Waianae? What about outer Islanders on holo holo every summer (me), the foreign surfers or snowbirds here every winter or the European visitors that come once in their life. Back before seatbelt laws how many drivers and passengers wanted to be forced to wear a belt? Sometimes public sentiment does not serve the greater interest of the public. As far as I can tell, the ideology of the select few is renewed akule fishing!

fishb0y:
I see the big picture, just mine isn't clouded by emotion and dollar signs.

Emotion, yes! I am passionate about this cause, but not for money...have you seen my truck lately???...I'm definitely not making a great living doing videos to start with and ultimately I could do the same amount of business diving anywhere else.
I worry that if you remove the local dive guides then you will lose ground on monitoring the MLCD and educating the visitors.

If I was money driven then I would probably say something like...."Only north shore dive shops can use the cove!".....but thats not the case.

Seriously...have you seen my truck lately...it's a P.O.S

Back
Top Bottom