Fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I need a fish ID from the experts... the dive was a night dive at Edmonds and this little guy was sitting on a rock pile. About 8 inches long, relatively thin tapered body, light color with spots, and a long (3 inch) thin protrusion on the forehead. He didn't look like any warbonnet I've ever seen (usually they have smaller, branchier protrusions).... Ideas?

Angler of some sort?

Only thing I can think of with a projection that long in relation to the rest of the body. Didn't know we had any native species though...but I imagine there must be some.

W/O a picture..it'd be hard to say.

Cheers,
Austin

As far as I know there aren't any anglers around here, unless they are in a boat or on a dock trying to catch one of us divers.

I would guess it is a sculpin of some sort.

Maybe one of these Sailfin Sculpins

Redondo2007040500023.jpg

isn't the best angle for a picture, but...

Tim
TimRenz.com

Yeah, most likely a sailfin sculpin ... especially since it was a night dive.

Did he look like this?

P1010042.jpg

Yall are correct -- after consulting a few ID sources earlier today, I confirmed that it was a sailfin sculpin. Cool lookin fish :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom