First trip outside the USA! - Bonaire!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rottielover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, looking for advice and some answers...

The wife and I booked with the LDS for a week at Buddy Dive on Bonaire comming up about March 31st thru the first week in April...

I've tried to read all the threads I could about Bonaire, I even went out and purchased some books on the island, but there are few things I'm still wondering about:

I've read a couple places that on Bonaire, when eating at a resturant, it's considered to be rude to bring the check to the table. So are we supposed to ask for the check? or are most places setup more like a "walk up to the cash register" type of place here in the states?

I've read conflicting reports on the rental trucks from Buddy Dive, are they stick shift or automatic's? (my wife can't drive a stick).

It sounds as if everywhere takes plasic (visa / mc) is that the case, or should I be looking at bringing a bit more cash than what I had been planning on (usually I try to keep cash to the bare min.)

Any special rules of the road we should be aware of while driving around the island looking for dive sites?

This will be our first time out of the USA, any special advice for getting around the airports, going thru customs, etc?

Finally, please feel free to add anything else, as I said this is our first trip, and we've been eagerly reading anything we can get our hands on about Bonaire!

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on choosing Bonaire! It is a wonderful island!

Restaurant checks: You are correct, the check will not be brought to your table until you ask for it. When you are ready just let your wait person know and s/he will deliver it to you at the table. Many restaurants list the cost in both guilders and dollars so be sure you are attentive to which you are paying!

Credit cards: Though widely accepted you will find that many of the smaller, local places do not take credit cards and do not accept large bills. At most places if you pay in dollars your change will be in guilders. We usually use our ATM card to take out guilders while in Bonaire.

Truck: have never rented from Buddy so perhaps someone else will chime in.

Driving: same side of the road as the US. Be aware that what appears to be a traffic circe/rotary north of town does not follow the same rules as in the US. Cars travelling north or south have the right of way and if you are in the circle you must yield to them. When you park at dive sites be very careful not to get into lots of sand or coral rubble -- it is easy to get stuck!

Immigration/Customs: You will be given a form to complete before you enter Immigration in Bonaire. Keep the stub with you as you will need it when you leave. Don't forget that there is a departure tax when you are leaving. What airport/airports will you be in prior to Bonaire?? There are many "tricks" if you are going through San Juan.

Diving: Hard soled booties will make your shore diving sooo much more enjoyable as the shoreline is not sandy.

Other resources: Look into Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter, available on line at www.bsdme.info and also take a look at www.bonairetalk.com and www.infobonaire.com if you have not already done so.

Hope this helps!!

I think you will enjoy your time in Bonaire. I have been there twice, once at Buddy's and the other time at the Plaza with a group of people from here.

Reefdiva just about answered most of your questions.

Money: Most about everywhere will accept US Dollars and will work out what you give is in Guilders and then give you the change in Guilders. ATMs, there are a couple but are dial up and have known to be out. As long as you have cash of any sort you are fine. International transactions are now charged by the card companies as a percentage so even the old way of getting money from the ATM for a single transaction fee is now being charged a percentage by MasterCard, Visa may be the same.

Trucks: Buddy's trucks are manual but at least you don't have to adapt to driving on the other side of the road. When doing beach dives, make sure you don't leave anything in the truck that is of any value to you. A locked truck is an invitation to break it open as you must be locking something valuable up, huh? Towels and such can be left in the truck as there is no black market on Bonaire for towels and trucks. :)

The reef of Buddies is great. I saw turtles off there on my last dive and the night dives you are always accompanied by a couple of tarpon. They have a great set up and the tanks are right by the dock. They have a drive through for tanks for when you go out beach diving and just help yourself.

Enjoy!!

Looks like the rest have answered your questions. So far I have not had any problems getting cash (UDS or Guilders-your choice) from the ATM's. There is one next door to Buddy, an easy walk....besides Lovers Ice Cream is next door. :)
The exchange rate is 1.77 to 1 which is $0.56 to the Guilder(aka NFL), I use 2 to 1 as a rough guide to prices. When in doubt ask, most prices are in both but sometimes not.

What is considered rude is to be given your check before you ask for it. It's kind of like saying- You have eaten, get the heck out! To get your check, just make eye contact with your server and sign you want your check by "writing" on your hand. They do not like to make multiple checks so inform your waiter or better yet, just trade checks if you are traveling with others. Also, remember most all of the food on Bonaire is cooked to order so it takes longer than we are accustomed to. Relax, slow down and enjoy reliving the days dives until your food comes.

Special rules of the road...a single toot on the horn and a hand raised it really a friendly hello.....not the one finger salute we are use to. It really is pretty common. I would suggest you look over the international road signs. I still have trouble with them, a lot look like "do not enter" to me but really mean no parking. There are several 1 way streets in town, be sure the street you are about to turn on is 2 way or at least going your way :)
I have never seen a auto I'm stupid at Buddy, there may be a few. An email will get you the answer.

The airport is really easy. There is a exit tax (seems like it is now $37pp) that you must pay BEFORE getting in your airlines check in line. They will want the reciept when you get to the counter and if you don't have it, it's out of line, pay the tax and back to the end of the line.

The resort dog at Buddy is Puck, pet him for me. I just confirmed my 7th trip to Buddy today. I can't wait. Feel free to drop me a PM if you have specific questions you can't find an answer to.

Thanks for the great (and quick) info guys, I always know I can count on SB when I need too :)

One of the books I was referring too is "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter", so looks like I'm on the right track... I also think fortunatly for us, that we're going with a fairly large group from the LDS, and it sounds like most of this group is actually LDS staff :) But it's nice to get some info ahead of time so as NOT too feel "stupid" or like the "5th wheel" all the time.

My day-to-day "car" is my chevy Z71, so I'm used to trucks, I'll be careful on the beach :) My wife !loves! to drive, so she may be a tad disappointed, but maybe this would be a good excuse to finally teach her how to drive a stick.

I'll start looking for international road signs online, any good websites out there for that?

Can't wait to meet puck :) (or charlie the tarpon for that matter), we love dogs (and fish)!

Just to add my .02,

You pay for the departure tax at the window in the airport terminal. It's just past the store to the right of the check-in counters. Last time I was there it was a green awning. It's marked.

While driving watch for donkeys and goats, especially around the lagoon north of the airport. They're friendly, people feed them, which encourages them to meander near the road. Depending on when the last "roundup" was, they're either there or back in the donkey sanctuary.

Goats run free around Rincon, if you dive the far north sites you'll drive back down through there on your way back to Buddy's since the road is one way up in that area.

One nice thing about Buddy's is they have a drive-thru tank pickup on the back of the property.

If you night dive, you'll get up close with the Tarpon as they feed in your light.

You should have a great time. I really liked Bonaire and it is one of the few places I would consider going back to (I don't like to visit the same destination more than once, rather go somewhere new).

You indicate this is your first time out of the country and mention a credit card. You may want to call your credit card customer service representative and let them know that you will be out of the country, when, and where. With some card companies, if an out of profile charge comes in it may be flagged and denied or at least questioned. It only happened to me once, but that was enough.

covediver:
............................You indicate this is your first time out of the country and mention a credit card. You may want to call your credit card customer service representative and let them know that you will be out of the country, when, and where. With some card companies, if an out of profile charge comes in it may be flagged and denied or at least questioned. It only happened to me once, but that was enough.

This is worth doing any time your away from home. I used mine for a week in Bonaire with no problems, 1 month later they declined mine in Fla due to "unusual charges". Go figure, out of the country, no problems, in Fla and I get tagged.

Agree with all the above advice. Here's the best advice, Use patience, share humor, bring cash. Here's the author's report that is very concise on many things about Bonaire.

rottielover:
Hi all, looking for advice and some answers...

The wife and I booked with the LDS for a week at Buddy Dive on Bonaire comming up about March 31st thru the first week in April...

I've tried to read all the threads I could about Bonaire, I even went out and purchased some books on the island, but there are few things I'm still wondering about:

I've read a couple places that on Bonaire, when eating at a resturant, it's considered to be rude to bring the check to the table. So are we supposed to ask for the check? or are most places setup more like a "walk up to the cash register" type of place here in the states?

I've read conflicting reports on the rental trucks from Buddy Dive, are they stick shift or automatic's? (my wife can't drive a stick).

It sounds as if everywhere takes plasic (visa / mc) is that the case, or should I be looking at bringing a bit more cash than what I had been planning on (usually I try to keep cash to the bare min.)

Any special rules of the road we should be aware of while driving around the island looking for dive sites?

This will be our first time out of the USA, any special advice for getting around the airports, going thru customs, etc?

Finally, please feel free to add anything else, as I said this is our first trip, and we've been eagerly reading anything we can get our hands on about Bonaire!

Thanks in advance!

we are going back to Buddy dive with our group 4/21/07--been there,and other resorts on island, several times..most of the advise given is very true..When you arrive check the departure tax window..if no line there go pay departure tax then and there..Will save you having to go on line and wait when you leave..Buddys vehicles are stick..Don't know about the vans,they may be automatic.. Buddys will pick you up at the airport and you will get the vehicle upon signing in to your rooms,1 vehicle per condo to be shared ,your lds probably has you sharing a condo with 1 or 2 other couples..Condo has either 2 or 3 bedrooms,each with its own private bathroom,full kitchen facility...any questions feel free to pm..I do not know what package your lds has so I cannot be more specific on some things..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom