First trip outside the USA! - Bonaire!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunatly I'm not exactly sure which package we have either, I know it includes breakfest and unlimited shore diving (with optional upgrade to Nitrox, and we did Nitrox cert already, so we're going to go ahead and "upgrade" for that). I've also been told that we'll be sharing a condo with another couple, maybe we can gracefully bow out of driving responsibilities :wink:

I did run across another thread about getting some "hard sole" dive boots for the shore dives, the wife and I just have the "standard" bootie's (and she has some reef shoes). Has anyone had any problems getting the "boot" style dive shoes into thier fin pockets? I'm thinking another trip by the LDS is in order for some trying out. I've also run across maybe 5 or 6 different styles and manufacturer's for this style "boot", most have a "combat boot" look too them, which is OK for my macho self (ROTFL), but the wife is more a girly girl type, anything good out there for her?

Oh, and any comments on the bed's / pillow's at Buddy's? If you remember the princess and the pea from your childhood? - well I have to live with her!!! (love you honey, really!)

opps, forgot one other question...

I noticed that most websites and books recommend a 3mil full suit for the winter months, and shorty's skins etc. in the summer months...

Since this will be spring time (first week in April) do you think we'll be ok in full skin w/ 3 mil shorty? Our wetsuit inventory is limited, we have skins, 3mil shorty's and 7mil full's.

Oh and Thanks again all!

I have a 6" x 1" scar on my right leg that shows that reef shoes probably weren't a good idea. Too slick on the bottom for going over the wet slimy ironshore.

but the wife is more a girly girl type, anything good out there for her?
If this is the thread you're referring to: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=176277 point out the fact that Leesa and Cynde both wear the Seasoft boots.

Everyone is different as far as their tendency to get cold, but personally I prefer a 3mm full in Bonaire. I have dove there with a 3mm shorty and diveskin, but was not as comfortable after several dives or at night. Like I said, it is all dependent on the individual, I have seen people dive all week with no wetsuit at all, while someone else may wear a 5mm full and not complain.

Man,you blew it! After a week you'll wish you were staying for another....

Definitely contact your CC company and let them know.

Try some of the local fare! The Snacks are a good value and have great food and interesting people

Im with Covediver..one of the few places I keep longing to return to...I used to have quite a list,but find myself wanting to go back to Bonaire!

Have a great time! You'll love it!

Say hello to Charlie for me! (tarpon)

Drew

ATMs outside of the US may be on a network that only accepts a PIN number of four digits for your credit or debit card, so it is wise to change to four. In US many networks accept more than four.

My husband's booties have a softer and more flexible sole than mine but are still adequate protection. Mine are Henderson low cuts with a fairly hard sole but certainly not combat boots. We both wear open back fins so getting them on with the boots is not a problem. As others have said, what you wear for a wetsuit depends on your tolerance. Within the last year I have added a beanie for my diving in Bonaire and find it helps. I wear my 3mm in spring and summer in Bonaire and in the winter have added a 1mm underneath. Protection for legs and arms can be important for shore entries and exits if you slip.

Unfortunatly I'm not exactly sure which package we have either, I know it includes breakfest and unlimited shore diving (with optional upgrade to Nitrox, and we did Nitrox cert already, so we're going to go ahead and "upgrade" for that). I've also been told that we'll be sharing a condo with another couple, maybe we can gracefully bow out of driving responsibilities

It is an excellent place to teach your wife to drive a stick (outside of town), since traffic is light enough and the roads straight enough that it won't be a big deal if she stalls a few times. It's also doubtful that they'll notice any harm to the clutch and trannie since they're likely already in poor shape.

I did run across another thread about getting some "hard sole" dive boots for the shore dives, the wife and I just have the "standard" bootie's (and she has some reef shoes). Has anyone had any problems getting the "boot" style dive shoes into thier fin pockets? I'm thinking another trip by the LDS is in order for some trying out. I've also run across maybe 5 or 6 different styles and manufacturer's for this style "boot", most have a "combat boot" look too them, which is OK for my macho self (ROTFL), but the wife is more a girly girl type, anything good out there for her?

You seem to be confusing dive booties with something like DUI Rock Boots. Standard dive booties should be fine. Just avoid the Aquasox slipper/socks-style of footwear, and you definitely don't want to go barefoot.

Oh, and any comments on the bed's / pillow's at Buddy's? If you remember the princess and the pea from your childhood? - well I have to live with her!!! (love you honey, really!)

While I haven't stayed at Buddy's (yet - we're headed there in March), I'd venture a guess that the pillows and mattress aren't much different than the ones at Capt. Don's next door, or like any non-luxury dive resort for that matter: count on them being at least a bit more uncomfortable than your mattress at home. While there may not be much you can do about the mattress, have your wife bring her own pillow if she's that particular. It will come in handy on the plane as well. (Your wife may be more concerned about the shared bathroom)

Looks like you got a lot of great advise particular to Bonaire.
Just one other thing, since it is your first time out of the USA, you will need to get into a frame of mind that the world isn't all like the US and that isn't a bad thing. Accept that differences as just differences, not as a comparison to what you are used to.
Some things will be a bit more casual than what you might be used to and what you expect from day to day life at home is not the norm anywhere else on the planet.. It isn't for anyone.
I can't speak specifically for Bonaire as I will be there is 3 weeks for the first time, but you will be amazed at how things are different when you travel.
Try not to spend the whole time with the same 12 or so people.. meet some locals.
Some of your best memories, outside of the diving, will be from the interactions you have with people from other cultures.

frank_delargy:
Looks like you got a lot of great advise particular to Bonaire.
Just one other thing, since it is your first time out of the USA, you will need to get into a frame of mind that the world isn't all like the US and that isn't a bad thing. Accept that differences as just differences, not as a comparison to what you are used to.
Some things will be a bit more casual than what you might be used to and what you expect from day to day life at home is not the norm anywhere else on the planet.. It isn't for anyone.
I can't speak specifically for Bonaire as I will be there is 3 weeks for the first time, but you will be amazed at how things are different when you travel.
Try not to spend the whole time with the same 12 or so people.. meet some locals.
Some of your best memories, outside of the diving, will be from the interactions you have with people from other cultures.

Amen.
The locals on Bonaire are some of the friendliest people you will meet. Slow down, get off the beaten path and stop to talk with anyone you meet. On my last trip I had not made it 30 ft from the taxi when one of the Buddy staff was hugging me with a warm "Welcome back dushi". (Dushi= sweetie...)
Darn PBD, I want to go now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom