Where is one way road in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boleslav

Registered
Reaction score
This is our first trip to Bonaire, have been reading so many helpful tips and information here, thank you for all of it.
I am still not very clear on the one way driving in Bonaire.
It looks like after 1000 steps the road becomes one way and the only way to get back to Kralendijk is to go through Rincon, am I correct?
How about in the town itself?
And the south?
Would someone please explain it to me so that we can plan better and not to have to go around half an island if I forget a hairbrush :)

There are rumors that some divers have carefully driven the wrong way back down the coast. No idea who they might be and not recommending that anyone do this. One dive we liked in the North is Tolo (also called Ol' Blue). Might be the easiest shore entry in that area. Take two tanks, pack a lunch and enjoy the scenery. (STINAPA closed the dive sites north of Karpata as of May 1, 2023, so you might want to check before you drive up there that the sites just south and east of Karpata are still open.)

This is our first trip to Bonaire, have been reading so many helpful tips and information here, thank you for all of it.
I am still not very clear on the one way driving in Bonaire.
It looks like after 1000 steps the road becomes one way and the only way to get back to Kralendijk is to go through Rincon, am I correct?
How about in the town itself?
And the south?
Would someone please explain it to me so that we can plan better and not to have to go around half an island if I forget a hairbrush :)
yep, one way. We dove out that way, then had lunch up in Rincon. Then took a nice tour drive on way back. Pack well.

I may or may not have encountered one of these, I'll keep it PG and call them schmucks, in the past. There was a stand off and even though I think a spot to allow two cars to pass side by side was closer to my rear number than theirs I forced the issue and made them back up till they could pull over. There were rude gestures made as the pass occurred.

The road becomes one way because it is mostly too narrow for two cars. The surrounding terrain is either subject to extensive harm from vehicles or will cause extensive harm to vehicles.
There are a few sections of one way streets in town and I think one in Rincon. Study the traffic signs on the map and having a competent Co-driver to read the map will help enormously. By your third day you will have a pretty good mental map of the island.

In the south of the island, a bit beyond Salt Pier, the road is also one lane, but two-way. It's common courtesy to pull over in one of the flatter areas and let the oncoming car pass. A flick of the headlights and/or a toot of the horn is often accompanying. My guess is much of the remoter areas of the island used to be two-way and one lane, but there may have been some instances of tourists unfamiliar with the custom asserting their right of passage so the northern road was posted as one-way.

we will be staying near Rincon, so it sounds like to get to 1000 steps we have to go through Kralendijk.
Good to know about 1 lane but 2 way road in the south, so that we don't need to go around the south point every time we hit the southern sites.
Thank you.

The one-way starts just west from 1000 Steps (16) and runs to Karpata (9)....so, yeah, you'll liekly have to go around. There are a few roads that pop out of the back to the west of Rincon, but never taken them. That'll be a local question. Maybe when you get there....LOL!
1685989888182.png

The one-way starts just west from 1000 Steps (16) and runs to Karpata (9)....so, yeah, you'll liekly have to go around. There are a few roads that pop out of the back to the west of Rincon, but never taken them. That'll be a local question. Maybe when you get there....LOL!
View attachment 786610
That would be definitely worth while checking out, thank you!

we will be staying near Rincon, so it sounds like to get to 1000 steps we have to go through Kralendijk.
Good to know about 1 lane but 2 way road in the south, so that we don't need to go around the south point every time we hit the southern sites.
Let's see if I can simplify. From town to 1,000 steps is 2 way. Once you go past 1,000 steps and continue north, you cannot turn around and go back to 1,000 steps. For example: If you go onward to dive Karpata, you cannot go back to 1,000 steps. You must go on to Rincon and then back to town.

Technically, it is just the section between 1,000 steps and Karpata that is 1 way and that 1 way is going north. Between Karpata and Rincon is 2 way. Between Karpata and all the way to Playa Frans is 2 way.

There are no other 1 way "roads" on the island. There are some 1 way streets downtown.

Hope that helps.

Let's see if I can simplify. From town to 1,000 steps is 2 way. Once you go past 1,000 steps and continue north, you cannot turn around and go back to 1,000 steps. For example: If you go onward to dive Karpata, you cannot go back to 1,000 steps. You must go on to Rincon and then back to town.

Technically, it is just the section between 1,000 steps and Karpata that is 1 way and that 1 way is going north. Between Karpata and Rincon is 2 way. Between Karpata and all the way to Playa Frans is 2 way.

There are no other 1 way "roads" on the island. There are some 1 way streets downtown.

Hope that helps.
It helps a lot, thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom