Question 16 Nights - How long in Tikehau, Rangiroa, & Fakahava

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DvrRick

Contributor
Reaction score
Another dive trip coming up and another request to help plan days at each location. Two experienced divers looking for some great marine life diving. We were in Dominica last year and Curacao & Bonaire the year before. We have a total of 16 nights and are looking for advice on how long to spend on Tikehau, Rangiroa, & Fakahava. I've read through all the threads and these are definitely our spots. We arrive about 10pm on night 1 and will stay in Papeete. The first flight out is the next day at 12:50pm to Tikehau (I am willing to rearrange the island order if that is a better situation). I would like to stay in the North (6 dives?) and South (4 dives) of Fakahava (open to changes). Our flight from PPT to LAX isn't until 9:30pm so we can possibly come back from the last island earlier that day.

Advice on the number of dives in each location would be fantastic to help me plan the flights and places to stay. As always, thank you ScubaBoard community!

Advice on the number of dives in each location would be fantastic to help me plan the flights and places to stay. As always, thank you ScubaBoard community!
Based on flight days available I've come up with this plan. Any input would be appreciated.
Arrive and overnight in Papeete
PPT-TIH 6 nights (5 dive days)
TIH-RGI 4 nights (3.5 dive days)
RGI-FAV 5 nights (4 dive days depending on travel to South)
FAV-PPT Take 2:30pm flight from FAV to make 9pm flight PPT-LAX

Just commenting - not critiquing.

I've never been to Tikehau in seven prior trips to French Polynesia. I've done mostly Fakarava and Rangiroa.

This December, I will be doing a week in Fakarava, followed by a week in Rangiroa. Six dive days each, 2 dives a day. Then 4 nights to try out Tikehau (3.5 dive days). Maybe you are on to something by spending more dive days in Tikehau than in either of the other two.

You did well to research the Air Tahiti domestic flights for the days when they fly (and more importantly, when they don't) from one to the other. As far as I am concerned, there is no right or wrong order in which to do the three, altho me doing Fakarava first meant working around the Fakarava to Rangiroa nonstop flight being available only on Mondays.

I assume that you booked or plan to book the Tuamotu Pass, which comes out cheaper than if booking each leg individually.

In Fakarava, this time I will spend the entire week in the North rather than splitting the days between South and North. I will just plan on doing day trips to the south. Ours is a group of four so we have enough people to justify the operator doing the trip south. Then it is just a matter of the tides being in synch during our time there.

The bad thing about not staying in the South at Tetamanu is missing out on the night dive, which can be quite spectacular.

I've never been to Tikehau in seven prior trips to French Polynesia. I've done mostly Fakarava and Rangiroa.

This December, I will be doing a week in Fakarava, followed by a week in Rangiroa. Six dive days each, 2 dives a day. Then 4 nights to try out Tikehau (3.5 dive days). Maybe you are on to something by spending more dive days in Tikehau than in either of the other two.

You did well to research the Air Tahiti domestic flights for the days when they fly (and more importantly, when they don't) from one to the other. As far as I am concerned, there is no right or wrong order in which to do the three, altho me doing Fakarava first meant working around the Fakarava to Rangiroa nonstop flight being available only on Mondays.

I assume that you booked or plan to book the Tuamotu Pass, which comes out cheaper than if booking each leg individually.

In Fakarava, this time I will spend the entire week in the North rather than splitting the days between South and North. I will just plan on doing day trips to the south. Ours is a group of four so we have enough people to justify the operator doing the trip south. Then it is just a matter of the tides being in synch during our time there.

The bad thing about not staying in the South at Tetamanu is missing out on the night dive, which can be quite spectacular.
Thank you Manuel Sam, I appreciate the information. It sounds like you have a great trip planned.

We definitely want to do the night dive in Fakarava South and will do our best to make that happen.

Could you give us some recommendations where to stay in Rangiroa and Fakarava? It is challenging locating and communicating with properties in Tikehau and I would assume the same for the other two as well. For us A/C is a must which means the list of available properties is small.

The Air Tahiti pass is a great deal. I did find when I tried pricing the flights individually (multi city) that the website packaged the flights together into the Tuamotu package automatically for me. For an airline to give you their better package, rather than allowing a booking on much more expensive individual flights, was a nice surprise.

Enjoy the trip. I'll post a Trip Report when I return although I am terrible at that.

As you might already know, the night dive in Tetamanu is only available if you stay there. I doubt very much that North-side operators will make the trek down there. BUT.....Tetamanu does not have AC, in fact, not even fans. If you still decide to do it, bring a USB fan with a Powerpak. I find that air blowing in my face when I sleep helps.

In North Fakarava, Havaiki Lodge for sure has AC bungalows. Not cheap.

I am staying at the Pension Kaipolanie Garden. They're about $200 a night, with half-board. They say that they have AC. It is my first time staying there, so I can't confirm that they do or not, and whether the AC works. I communicated with them via email. kaipolaniegarden@gmail.com. The owners are Vanina and Cedric. They are very responsive.

In Rangiroa, I am aware of three places that have AC. To stay at these places, you better be rich or expect to hit the Powerball soon. In no particular order, there is the Kia Ora, the Maitai, and the Raira Lagon Hotel. You can book the first two thru any of the online reservations sites. Raira Lagon, it appears that it is thru their own website.

I did all my communications with the Tikehau lodgings and the dive operator via email.

Have a great trip.

following this for sure

As you might already know, the night dive in Tetamanu is only available if you stay there. I doubt very much that North-side operators will make the trek down there. BUT.....Tetamanu does not have AC, in fact, not even fans. If you still decide to do it, bring a USB fan with a Powerpak. I find that air blowing in my face when I sleep helps.

In North Fakarava, Havaiki Lodge for sure has AC bungalows. Not cheap.

I am staying at the Pension Kaipolanie Garden. They're about $200 a night, with half-board. They say that they have AC. It is my first time staying there, so I can't confirm that they do or not, and whether the AC works. I communicated with them via email. kaipolaniegarden@gmail.com. The owners are Vanina and Cedric. They are very responsive.

In Rangiroa, I am aware of three places that have AC. To stay at these places, you better be rich or expect to hit the Powerball soon. In no particular order, there is the Kia Ora, the Maitai, and the Raira Lagon Hotel. You can book the first two thru any of the online reservations sites. Raira Lagon, it appears that it is thru their own website.

I did all my communications with the Tikehau lodgings and the dive operator via email.

Have a great trip.
Thank you for all the information. Tikehau is booked and I am booking the other two islands now. I am hoping to stay at least one night on Fakarava South to do the sunset dive. We will see.

You are welcome.

Were you able to find a place with AC in Tikehau?

When are you going, by the way?

You are welcome.

Were you able to find a place with AC in Tikehau?

When are you going, by the way?
No A/C in our price range so we will live with a ceiling fan. We will be on Tikehau Sept 29 to Oct 5, Rangiroa Oct 5 to 9, and Fakarava Oct 9 to 14.

Last year we were in Dominica with no A/C for the bedrooms and. although uncomfortable, we managed and it was a great trip.

No A/C in our price range so we will live with a ceiling fan. We will be on Tikehau Sept 29 to Oct 5, Rangiroa Oct 5 to 9, and Fakarava Oct 9 to 14.

Last year we were in Dominica with no A/C for the bedrooms and. although uncomfortable, we managed and it was a great trip.
@DvrRick

Looks like a solid plan... We really enjoyed Tikehau (and we're looking forward to hearing how the renovations to the Pearl resort end up). Tekihau is the more interesting island of the three, however not nearly as many sharks or other pelagics, although mantas basically every day (if you go to the cleaning station).

One thing to consider (although it looks like you're schedule is already full):
The dive at White Valley on Tahiti is an interesting dive. They usually do it as a "shark feed" (which I'm not a huge fan of) - the tiger sharks they get there are beefy, and are there quite often. The lemons and grey reefies make for a good backdrop :wink:

Back
Top Bottom