Question FIRST BONAIRE TRIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Collin O'Brien

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am currently planning on a dive trip to Bonaire late September to early October 2023. I have never been out of the country (USA) for diving and mostly dive in New England. I am looking for advice on a few things…as well as anything else you think might be good to know.

1. What gear should I bring vs. rent…or should I just bring everything outside of tanks/weights?

2. What exposure suit should I wear in Bonaire for Sept-Oct? Hood/Gloves/Boots? I plan on some longer dives.

3. How much weight would I need for good buoyancy in Bonaire if I use a steel backplate, 6lb integrated weight (removable) and 2 additional lbs in a 7mm wetsuit/hood/gloves/boots?

Any other gear tips or general tips for making the trip more seamless and enjoyable than it will be stressful trying to figure things out on the fly.

Thank you!!!

I am currently planning on a dive trip to Bonaire late September to early October 2023. I have never been out of the country (USA) for diving and mostly dive in New England. I am looking for advice on a few things…as well as anything else you think might be good to know.

1. What gear should I bring vs. rent…or should I just bring everything outside of tanks/weights?

2. What exposure suit should I wear in Bonaire for Sept-Oct? Hood/Gloves/Boots? I plan on some longer dives.

3. How much weight would I need for good buoyancy in Bonaire if I use a steel backplate, 6lb integrated weight (removable) and 2 additional lbs in a 7mm wetsuit/hood/gloves/boots?

Any other gear tips or general tips for making the trip more seamless and enjoyable than it will be stressful trying to figure things out on the fly.

Thank you!!!
Bonaire!

1. Own/rent – mostly a function of your luggage allowance. Most dive shops on the island are well stocked, no problem to rent just about everything. Once you decide on what you are going to bring, get in touch with your resort to confirm you can rent the rest

2. You are looking at seriously warm temps. I’d suggest 3mm or a shorty, thin hood optional, but strictly no gloves – that reef is fragile, try not to touch anything – also for your own safety (fire coral is a Bonaire treat). Great chance to improve your neutral buoyancy

3. This is too individual to dispense advice over the internet, I wouldn’t sweat it at all, on Day 1 you can ask for input from your resort’s DMs (they see customers of all kind and shape), then tweak your weighting

Other stuff: (1) topside, expect them bugs! (2) don’t try to cover all dive sites on your first trip, you will be coming back more than once, I can guarantee that! Plenty to do / see at the house reef and boat dives that your resort will offer, take your time to enjoy it

The water temp is quite warm at that time. Last year in October it was 84 degrees. I wore a full 3mm because of the entry points. Hood is not needed and gloves are banned.

1. Your choice. Easier to travel if you rent. More comfortable to dive in your own gear. Where are you staying? Most have decent rental gear. Buddy Dive can rent you a backplate/wing/harness.
2. Anything from a 3mm to a rash guard to board shorts; your choice, depending on what makes you comfortable. I like full-body coverage for full-body protection.
3. Your first dive must be at the site of the dive operator suppling your tanks, under Bonaire rules, as an "orientation." That is when you can decide on your weighting. You probably won't need much...maybe 4-6 lbs at most.

Individually, reg, computer, BC, way suit, will cost you about $10-15 each per day. If your going to be there over a week it would pay for itself to buy a checked bag. When you say long are you talking single tank with good SAC long? Or doubles? Typically people do three or four single tank dives a day run times typically 50-75 minutes, if you doing boat dives they usually want you back on the boat in an hour.

Exposure suit, I don't wear one, just shorts and t-shirt, most folks that wear them are wearing 3mm or less. Some folks that do a lot of diving or get easily chilled wear 5mm. If you do an unlimited shore dive package the tanks and weights are included, and what ever you do for buoyancy you do a check out on the house reef to dial the weight in first.

I bring my own gear except weights. I bring a small pony tank. Between a carry on and checked bag it all fits. I carry on camera, all lights and computers.

Thermal - Rash guard and shorts. Maybe a shorty.

Take a look at the list of closed sites and new protocols for diving and Stony coral disease.

Personally I would not plan a trip to Bonaire at the moment and run the risk of the house reef where I would be staying being closed.

Like most have stated, I bring everything except tanks and weights.
I bring one checked bag, a carry on and a backpack.
I wear a 3 mm wetsuit and we do three dives most days.

You can look at trip report posts and learn a lot about the island,
and how other divers plan their trip.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

Take a look at the list of closed sites and new protocols for diving and Stony coral disease.
The only closed sites are in the far north, in the National Park, where there is little diving anyway, and also after 2pm on Klein. The red sites are not "closed" and there are protocols in place by STINAPA for diving them (make them the last dives of the day and decontaminate afterwards).
The sky is not really falling, at least not yet.

And it's the at least not yet part that is guiding my decision.

I run really warm (like, 7mm wetsuit and toasty warm in Monterey, sometimes without gloves).
Bonaire in October I was wearing shorts and a sport/compression shirt. I was very comfortable.

I brought my own gear but there's plenty of rental stuff.

Make sure to do a night dive at the salt pier!

Back
Top Bottom