First trip - how many days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sink_or_swim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
We are planning our first trip to Cozumel and I was hoping to get some feedback on a few things before we finalize our plans. Our trip will be 7 nights and we will be flying into Cancun and then doing the 'bag drag' to Cozumel. We are planning on staying at Casa Mexicana and diving with Tres Pelicanos. We are in our mid 30's and like to keep busy and also enjoy nightlife.

We are considering spending 5 nights in Cozumel (diving) and 2 nights in either PDC or Cancun (not diving).

So I'm wondering if we are crazy for not spending the whole week in Cozumel ... and if there is enough to do in the afternoon / evening? Our last 2 dive trips were to Bonaire and Grand Turk and the diving was great but we ran out of things to do above water so we're looking for a little more excitement on land for this trip.

Also, any input on Cancun vs PDC for a few nights?

Personally, I'd spend the whole time on Cozumel, diving. Cancun and Playa del Carmen are not for me.

If you were diving in the Red Sea and asking if you should spend some time in Luxor and Cairo, my answer would be different. Have a great trip

I personally agree with scubadada. I agree, Bonaire is boring topside. Cozumel is a different animal, lots to do. Just my opinion.

This will be the first year that we stay in Cozumel; 8 trips prior. Given your ages, I would recommend a couple nights in Playa. Be glad to give you my recommendations for day/night activities via pm.

Skip Cancun. Bleeecch.

. . . We are in our mid 30's and like to keep busy and also enjoy nightlife.

We are considering spending 5 nights in Cozumel (diving) and 2 nights in either PDC or Cancun (not diving).

Sure. Why not? Especially if you've never visited PDC or Cancun before and want to know what they're like. I spend my whole week on Cozumel diving, but I have been to PDC and Cancun, as in, been there done that, no longer in my 30s. It's funny that @mediumone advises PDC is okay but to skip Cancun. Too glitzy? Surely someone likes Cancun, as they have no shortage of visitors. If you're one of those people, go for it.

@mediumone advises PDC is okay but to skip Cancun. Too glitzy? Surely someone likes Cancun, as they have no shortage of visitors. If you're one of those people, go for it.

Mediumone advises that because with a little initiative and a 20 minute walk, you can get into Mexico. If you stay in the Hotel Zone in Cancun, you could be in a tropical Hotel Zone In any one of dozens of locations.

Additionally, there are some easily accessible day trips out of Playa that are nothing short of spectacular.

Mediumone advises that because with a little initiative and a 20 minute walk, you can get into Mexico. If you stay in the Hotel Zone in Cancun, you could be in a tropical Hotel Zone In any one of dozens of locations.

Additionally, there are some easily accessible day trips out of Playa that are nothing short of spectacular.

I get it. I would do the same. But everyone's preferences are different. I think the OP should go with his gut feeling about what they prefer. Then they, too, can someday say "been there done that" with regard to tropical hotel nightlife.

I can vaguely remember what it was like to be in my mid-30s and looking for night life. More than two decades ago. But even in those days, well before 10:00 p.m. was "past my bedtime," I found nightlife in Cozumel, back when the Neptuno Disco was still open, or when Carlos & Charlies was upstairs a few blocks north of the Plaza. Those days are long gone, and so is Neptuno, while Carlos & Charlies has moved and is kind of dead after the Cruise Ships leave town. Nowadays, my idea of nightlife is a night of drinking and laughing with Scubaboarders when they take over several tables at El Moro. And you'll find similar groups laughing and drinking at places like Wet Wendy's or Ohana's and other places. Cozumel is not devoid of nightlife, just depends on what you're looking for.

As to things to do in the afternoon, there's plenty in Cozumel to keep me happy; a ride around the East Side, drinking a few beers parked in a hammock at the Rasta Bar, touring Punta Sur Park, with a boat ride through the Mangrove Swamps, Chankanaab Park, the Tequila Tour, touring the Kaokao Chocolate Factory, going to the Mercado and haggling over a Molcajeta or hand-woven hammock.

Personally I hate Cancun - the Hotel Zone is like Miami Beach South. But Playa Del Carmen is nice - a laid back beach town during the day, and some good day trips, like diving the Cenotes (done it once, not my thing; I much prefer diving live reefs to dead caves, but worth a try), or the ruins at Tulum or Coba or Chitzen Itsa, or a full day, with night life and entertainment, at Xel Ha or Xcaret. And Playa Del Carmen has kind of a European vibe at night (or it did, the last time I spent a night there, several years ago). Up to you.

If I were you guys, I would try and take in a couple of days in Playa del Carmen. It's got a much younger vibe altogether and a lot more nightlife than Cozumel. I was just over there today for a beach day and shopping but was glad to be back to my home in Cozumel this evening. I'm an older fart and don't do nightlife and not fond of crowds in general. But I DO like shopping and it's a lot better in Playa del Carmen than Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom