First Time To Cozumel In April- Diving Recs, How Far To Book Ahead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asrael

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone
I hope you are well. So looking forward to coming to Cozumel in April. I posted a few months earlier about a possible trip and everybody was so helpful, so I thank you all in advance.

I will try to be concise and clear with my "introduction" for what we are looking for and I thank you in advance for all help.

My husband and I have booked 2 weeks April 7-21 in the Yucatan. We fly in and out of Cancun. We arrive at about 5pm, from Victoria, BC on a non-stop flight. We want to spend time diving - thinking 3 days (I know we will want more but not sure if our budget will allow it.... will see how it goes) and we also do want to explore the ruins, and maybe have a few beach days on the mainland. We plan to bus and ferry it to Cozumel.

What I am asking for advice with is around scheduling and who to dive with- so I will share a little info.

Diving Experience- We are pretty new divers.. I think we have about 30 dives a piece.. all in Hawaii- except our first dives were in the cold waters of BC for our certificates. All these dives have occurred over the last 3 years.. My husband is great, calm, and loves it. I love it too, have good air control, but have a tendency to be a little nervous. And I don't really like big surges or long long swim throughs- small ones I am usually ok- or ok going around.. I sometimes have trouble descending.. unless I am weighted a little heavier, and going up I have also the same problem.. it's hard for me to stay at the 15ft level without rising.. In Hawaii we have always had a rope and a ball to go up- which is great because I can hold on- or practice my buoyancy with it there to grab onto if I start to rise... but I understand in Cozumel this is not the case... so a little nervous I will pop up..

We both have decent buoyancy control (don't hit the bottom) and good air control-.. I would often be the last or one of the last ones up- except for the divemasters (who would have way more than me).. We always dove with small carriers, with 2 divemaster below to the 6 max customers.. sometimes less, and were able to go up on our air. That being said.. they were also aware I did like to know where they were, and for them to be aware of me.. not babysitting necessarily but aware..

So I wanted to share this info- as I know there are quite a few dive companies recommended on this board.. and thought that this extra info may zoom in on the best one for us.... My husband was not sure he would want to use steel tanks...

So wondering what you all think with the info I have shared if there were a company or companies more suited to our level and needs?

Also.. Would it be worth spending a money for our own divemaster for the first dive?

We have never done this before- but as I said its been small groups with many divemasters.

In Hawaii we have had some current- but nothing big.. and always swam in a circle or back to the boat.. We did have surges at times, again nothing major but enough that you could feel them!

Next Question-

How far should we book ahead for the diving? Is it something we can book the week before- or even a few days?
We are unsure about our timeline, and want to keep it a bit flexible.. Maybe we are being naive... but figured we are going to book a place to relax for a few days- then either dive, or go into the mainland, and then dive closer to the end of the trip.. and not try to make too many plans. We have been told since its April it shouldn't be hard to get rooms, etc last minute.

and finally

Places To Relax-
As for places to relax for a few days while just arriving... any recommendations on Cozumel? We would love to be able to have easy access to a beach and just chill. We are not into big tourist areas or AI's (not that there is anything wrong with them- just not for us). Or would it make sense to rest on the mainland?
We have an opportunity to rent cheaply a house in the Bahia Principe Jungle area (back behind golf course.. not near condo's or anything) for a few days, or could also look at Tulum area- probably city/or between city and beach.. (can you tell how unplanned we are?)

Our budget for lodging for most of the trip- $50-$75, but we can spend more for 4-5 days if needed..

I think this is all.. I know it's the weekend so no hurry to respond. I thank you all so much for your help:)

Asrael

p.s. and we did do one night dive in Hawaii- the Manta Ray dive- AMAZING :)

Last edited:
Spend more time on coz than you have planned... 3 days/ 3 days diving is not enough. Coz is the gem of the Yucatan. Cancun and PDC? I'd say "Yuck" but to each their own as I am comparing them to Cozumel. Tulum is worth the trip from what I have been told for a day but that's it.

50-$75 for accommodations per night? Suites Bahia or Colonial in San Miguel on Coz that are sister hotels to the Casa Mexicana a few blocks away from the Casa. You stay cheaper at the sisters but can walk to the Casa for the free massive breakfast buffet that is included with your stay at those sister hotels. Then hop a boat or transport for diving (I dive with 3P's Tres Pelicanos in town). Hire a private DM for your first day of diving in coz (about $55) as it is a new place and drift diving will be new to you both. After the 1st day you'll know what it is about and have total confidence.

With 2 weeks to spend in the Yucatan, I'd spend one full week on Coz not only to and see what's down there diving but to experience a really cool place in the afternoons and evenings. Coz is world known for its diving so if you are going to see the absolute best that an area has to offer and you are certified, go see it. Coz is also the perhaps the most desirable vacation destination for Mexican citizens who can afford vacation... They aren't lining up for PDC and Cancun vacations. You can see the mainstream tourist PDC and Cancun environment anywhere. Not that it isn't worth seeing, it just gets boring so quickly. How many gift shops, bars, noise and overpriced restaurants can one experience before it gets old?

Relaxing in Coz... That's EASY. Downtown San Miguel and Coz is very busy during the day when the cruise ships are in but that all changes as they leave, the evening sets in, and the island reveals itself. I'm diving during that chaos in the AM and relaxing in the afternoon watching it all go by. After about 6-7PM peace is restored and the island is left to the locals and the destination travelers.

Having done a few dives in Kauai I can easily remember the wave surge & Cozumel has nothing like that to deal with. Instead you gently drift with the current which is nice & managible most of the time but there are days it gets a bit strong. You learn to stay close to the bottom, hide from it behind large sponges or coral structures until the group catches up to you IF you've carried on while they stopped to look at something & you learn NOT to always go back to see why they stopped when the current is wearing you down. Sounds harder than it is & it's easily learned.
As for a hotel I stay at more expensive 'resort" style properties & agree with the above message about the in town hotels but you don't have a beach nearby. I dive with Tres Pelicanos but I also dive with some of the other ops often mentioned here because all of the popular ops do offer what most of us want but at different levels of service & different prices. Things I look for are shade on the boats, surface interval on shore rather than while just floating on the water, well run & organized. When I make special requests I expect results, & the ops I have settled on all fill them.

I sometimes have trouble descending.. unless I am weighted a little heavier, and going up I have also the same problem.. it's hard for me to stay at the 15ft level without rising..
So, why wouldn't you carry a little more weight? If you cannot hold at 15' at the end of the dive by holding less residual air in your lungs, add a couple of pounds of lead to your belt. You should be able to hold at 15' for as long as you need to and then ascend without kicking by inhaling more deeply.

Thank You everyone for replying so far. Again- the replies are great and helpful:) They did bring up a few more questions.

We are not at all opposed to staying at Cozumel for a week of our trip at all:) We have no desire to go to Cancun, or PDC.. and want to go to Tulum, just because- but are also aware that it is touristy, crowded and expensive... So not attached- we can also finish our trip off on the mainland... after exploring some ruins and Merida/Valladolid

More questions-

Has anyone stayed at airbnb's vs hotel?
There are some nice looking ones with good reviews.. and relatively inexpensive... Would the main plus be for the hotels the ease for getting to diving in the morning?

On Non Diving Days
Are there any good places to snorkel and get in the water?
In Hawaii we snorkeled every day we didn't dive loved it...

Beaches? Any that are recommended?

@deepsea21 Thanks for the in depth answer- Really appreciate it. And also for hotel recommendations- I will check them out :)

@cicopo - What hotels would you recommend? And thanks for the insight on the currents.

@ggunn Yes- I am happy to carry more weight.. Even with the extra weight I still seem to rise when I get lighter in the tanks..(I am a yoga teacher- so I breathe really deep... maybe that is it) I think I normally go down a little heavy as it is but I know I would make it clear to the divemasters about my "fears and issues:)"

Thank you all so much!

I'm recommending the ones (never stayed at any of them however) in Deepsea's message. I stay at Hotel Cozumel now & have for several trips but it's well above the price range you mentioned. My wife doesn't dive & we are on vacation rather than a dive trip & like having the resort style extras.

I've tried Hotel Cozumel, Casa Mexicana, Casa del Mar, Villablanca and Mi Casa en Cozumel (and maybe others - can't remember). I'm trying Suites Bahia next month. I agree with the above ideas, but would also suggest checking out Mi Casa en Cozumel. It's a lovely little boutique hotel built around trees and garden areas. It's only a couple blocks from Tres Pelicanos. There are only 9 or so rooms, and nearly all of them are in your price range.

I've tried Hotel Cozumel, Casa Mexicana, Casa del Mar, Villablanca and Mi Casa en Cozumel (and maybe others - can't remember). I'm trying Suites Bahia next month. I agree with the above ideas, but would also suggest checking out Mi Casa en Cozumel. It's a lovely little boutique hotel built around trees and garden areas. It's only a couple blocks from Tres Pelicanos. There are only 9 or so rooms, and nearly all of them are in your price range.

Thank you so much. I like the idea of staying someplace smaller and more boutiquey :) It looks beautiful- and I will definitely check it out !

You can EASILY spend a week or more visiting the BIG ruins on the mainland. Think Ek Balam, Chichen Itza and Uxmal. So I would plan on a week+ there. I practice yoga daily and the depth of your breathing shouldn't create a buoyancy problem, especially if you belly-breath and your breathing is slow. Steel tanks would definitely help you at your safety stop as they will be more negative than a near-empty aluminum. But it WILL limit your options as only 3 tanks on the island have/use them. Another option is to let the DM know this is a problem for you; they will often carry extra weights and so can pass one off to you if you get floaty. I would DEFINITELY book well in advance (months, not weeks). I was diving today with some of my dive ops "regulars" and they had to spend the first week or 10 days of their trip diving with another company as he was fully booked. You MIGHT be able to get A spot with SOMEONE but it might not be the one you want, if you leave it to the last minute. There are some cute little locally-owned and operated hotels back in town if that interests you. They are one or two storeys at most, and cater to the cheap and cheerful crowd. Hotel Pepitas and Sun Suites are two that come to mind off the top of my head. Not many guests and a more intimate atmosphere. B&Bs are also a good choice here. They present a few difficulties getting to a beach or pick up by a dive op as only a handful of dive ops pick up in town but it's not insurmountable. Not sure how familiar you are with island geography but since you are new divers, you probably won't be diving in the north. I'd try and find something in town or central on the island (just outside of town) to give you more options for meals, dive sites etc. Unless you want to spend your non-diving time parked on a beach, I wouldn't go too far south as the cab rides back into town will be costly.

unless I am weighted a little heavier, and going up I have also the same problem.. it's hard for me to stay at the 15ft level without rising..

I would not recommend adding "extra" weight b/c you are re-enforcing bad habits. You really want to learn how to dive with the least amount of weight possible and let your breathing regulate your buoyancy. It is common for newer divers to struggle at the safety stop especially with the 80 aluminum tanks. Talk to the dive master ahead of time and let him know about your difficulty staying at 15 feet, I am sure they will have weight to add for your safety stop. Also maybe your first few dives you might need the extra weight to descend but after a few dive try to drop a little weight and I bet you will find that you will descend just fine.

We've stayed at several VRBO/AirBnB rentals in Coz and have gotten fantastic properties for good prices. I like staying fairly close to town, many of the condos are too far south (or north) for my liking since we drive/cab to the Marina for our dive op and of course hitting all the fantastic restaurants for lunch/dinner. Our favorite condo is Las Uvas which is near the Money Bar which is about as far out of town as we like to stay. Here is a link to some of the condos Cozumel Vacation Villa and Condo Rental, Restaurants, Scuba Diving, Travel Guide.

Don't get your hopes up for snorkeling, it is okay but I'd say Hawaii is generally much better. Also the Coz beaches are not as nice as the Hawaii beaches. Even though snorkeling & beaches aren't as nice as Hawaii, Cozumel feels so much more "vacation-ee" than Hawaii. Even if there wasn't the fantastic diving in Coz we'd vacation in Coz over Hawaii.

I agree with the other comments on this blog - spend more time in Coz verses PDC/Yucatan. The mainland reminds me of Hawaii - everything is too expensive and too damn many people. The ruins are a great visit and the Yucatan beaches do rival Hawaii beaches. The AI resorts in the Yucatan are awesome if you like to lay around the beach and drink lots of alcohol. PDC/Yucatan is a great place to party if you are into clubs and the night life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom