First Time To Cozumel In April- Diving Recs, How Far To Book Ahead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not recommend adding "extra" weight b/c you are re-enforcing bad habits. You really want to learn how to dive with the least amount of weight possible and let your breathing regulate your buoyancy. It is common for newer divers to struggle at the safety stop especially with the 80 aluminum tanks. Talk to the dive master ahead of time and let him know about your difficulty staying at 15 feet, I am sure they will have weight to add for your safety stop. Also maybe your first few dives you might need the extra weight to descend but after a few dive try to drop a little weight and I bet you will find that you will descend just fine.
Of course, there is the possibility that Asrael is indeed diving underweighted. I agree that the less weight the better - up to the point where no amount of breath control will enable one to hang at 15' at the end of a dive.

I am a very nervous diver and I need more weight in the beginning of the week than the end. No matter what I do, I just can't empty my lungs until I've gotten a bit more comfortable.

I don't hire a private divemaster, because I have incredible trust in my buddy as a confident diver to stay with me, but even when I've shaken off that it wasn't necessary, I had a divemaster hold my hand while descending after a surface panic attack (this was my 10th dive in Cozumel, a bit unexpected to freak out). My buddy just took my hand and told him I was OK, so he didn't have to stay. We could tell he kept an eye on me until deciding we were doing fine and we got a much "longer leash" as the week went on. Both ops I've dove with give more freedom to competent divers and a close watch to beginners. A private DM is relatively inexpensive, so not a bad idea for the first day. Especially if you are worried about descending. We waited nearly 15 minutes once for someone to descend. That sucked.

I'd tell you to check with Scuba with Alison and Tres Pelicanos, as both were phenomenal, but there are at least 5 other ops I'd try without hesitation and are probably just as good. As for when to book, room on boats is limited, the sooner the better. My husband is already booked for June (Im not going on this trip).

We thought Suites Bahia was a great deal, and didn't have never had a bad meal in town.

Thanks Everyone once more for such great help and responses- I so appreciate it all.
We will start contacting dive ops tomorrow.. and see what availability they have and perhaps try to plan our trip around that... Tres Pelicanos seems to be popping up in this thread lots- so will start there first.

@Skittl1321 Thank you so much for your sharing- I really appreciate it. I have had some "moments" where I have been a little uncertain (not for any reason at all- just out of the blue), and it helps to know that someone else has too. In any of those cases, a few eye to eye contacts with my husband, and I have been fine. Just knowing the dive master is around somewhat close helps too.. They were never right on top of us- but would be well in sight and would look back to make sure we were around. One did hold my hand the first time I did a bigger swim through with some surges too.. which was wonderful- I think it was my 2nd dive in Hawaii.

And I cannot imagine taking 15 minutes to descend! Ugh- would feel so bad if that was me. it's like I get below 15 feet and I am fine.. its just the first little bit that I can't go down easy..

@sefuchs and @ggunn Thanks for your comments on the weights.. I agree- I need to learn.. It has been very frustrating to have such bad control up that high.... Maybe I was a little underweighted some times.. and some might be beginners.. For the manta dive I was so overweighted... it was uncomfortable.. but I stayed steady at the bottom for the show:) (This overweighting was not with the regular companies we went with during the day)

and thanks for the condo recommendations will check them out.. We are not drinkers, partiers (I am sure we will have some drinks.. but are not there to party). Not into clubbing at all. We are in our early 40's, late 30's- no kids, quiet, want to experience the local vibe, eat some nice food, and relax.. and be in the water lots.. In Hawaii we stay on the Big Island, in the south- Keakeakua Bay.. which is really chill- not too touristy, and NO beaches- just lava rock and snorkelling.. lots of swimming there- every day- We love that part of it.. usually just go north to the beaches (90 minute drive) once during the trip- sometimes after diving too, as its closer.

@MMM - yes I take big belly breaths.. and in the past have had great air time, and bouancy control on the bottom.. Think the yoga helps with the air time.. as I can slowly breathe in and out:) Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.. I may tag you as we get closer with some questions about the ruins.. appreciate the hotel recs too- I will check them out. And thanks for the thoughts on the weights- i will let the DM know for sure.

It's funny- I looked for a pic for my avatar- and 1/2 of my pics are in swim throughs and lava tubey things.. one I am holding hands with my husband.. but for being nervous- I guess I am more comfortable down there than I think sometimes:)

You all are wonderful! Thank you

Oh, I totally forgot. We love money bar for snorkeling, and chicken nachos... Snorkeling water entry and chair use on the man made beach is free, but it's good manners to buy some food or drink. They have good virgin daquiris if you don't care to drink while swimming.

Chankanaab also has great snorkeling, but a high entrance fee.

Thank You everyone for replying so far. Again- the replies are great and helpful:) They did bring up a few more questions.

Has anyone stayed at airbnb's vs hotel?
There are some nice looking ones with good reviews.. and relatively inexpensive... Would the main plus be for the hotels the ease for getting to diving in the morning?
Last summer we tried Airbnb for the first time. It was not in Cozumel but in some areas of Europe that would have been cost prohibitive if we booked hotel rooms. Initially I was terrified since I have read some horror stories about both guests and hosts. My requirement was a private unit with private entrance and bath. We stayed in three different places and all were great experiences. One of the hosts was previously listed on a popular rental site but has discontinued doing so due to the added expenses. My advise it to look at different Airbnb listings and 'save' them to a Cozumel folder. Google the name of each one to see if there any reviews or further input than what you gleam from the Airbnb site. You can also present your findings to this thread. I'm sure somebody can give you some more insights. I think you will find some awesome mom and pop places that you will not find on other sites. We saved a ton of $$$ using Airbnb .

@Skittl1321 Thanks for the recommendation.. I think I am goign to have to do a lot of swimming to burn off the yummy food I will be eating:)

@morecowbells Thanks for your experience.. We have had great luck with VRBO and airbnb too- both in Europe and the States... a couple have been ok.. but most have been fabulous.. so that's why we were thinking they may be great in Mexico too:) I will definitely cross look- good idea.. and also a great idea to share with the thread!

Thank you!

@Asrael: There is this goal everyone seems to have and that is to dive with the absolute minimum weight they can get away with. When your wetsuit and gear (be it your own or rented) is totally dry it's going to take more weight to get you down the first dive or 2 or 3. After a day of diving with that gear you don't need as much to get down as it's saturated and wet but shedding a few extra lbs right away can then create problems during the safety stop when you're pretty boyant and then you have to start short shallow breathing to try and hold 15'. At the end of the day, you're probably looking at a difference of 2-3lbs of lead weight to get you down on that first dive and then keep you down after that at a safety stop. Throw the extra 2-3 lbs on at the beginning and leave it on. I mean, what is an extra few lbs in the whole scheme of things? Ya want to enjoy your dives and add a little more air to BC at depth to compensate (that's what that inflation button is there for), or do you want to fight getting down and later fight holding @ 15' for the sake of saying you only need _# of lbs of weight?

My wife is a Yoga instructor and she too is excellent at SLOW... long... deep... inhales and exhales. That ability to manage breathing minimizes air consumption but it comes at a price as you can find yourself rising and falling quite a bit with every long and slow inhale and exhale. Adding more weight helps even out that rise and fall a bit.

In my opinion, it is ALWAYS better to be over-weighted than under weighted. If there were ever an emergency that you felt it necessary to dump weight, you'll get to the surface that much faster. It's your dive, your style, and the amount of weight that works for you personally throughout the entirety of your multiple dives that matters. As you dive more you'll find the right mix. I say being weighted a bit on the heavy side also allows you to fully exhale and sink more quickly to see something or tuck in behind something... No need to vent air from your BC... All in the breathing.

Last edited:
Consider this B&B...

Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast is located right in downtown Cozumel, and it is ideal for travelers who want local attractions at their doorsteps: great dining, the main pier, the central park, local shops and more are all at a short walk from this charming villa. A delicious, complete breakfast consisting of fresh brewed mexican coffee, selection of teas, fresh orange juice, pastries or homemade baking, hot main dish /mexican dishes are our specialty!) and fresh fruit and yogurt is served in the terrace every morning.

Four units separate from the owners house. Beautiful garden area with pool. Magda makes a fantastic authentic Mexican breakfast. In fact, they were booked our last stay so we stayed else where. It made me realize what a large role her breakfasts played when I think how much I love the food in Cozumel.

No in room TV’s but that worked well for us. There is a TV in the common area as well as fridge and microwave.

And a playful dachshund pup Millie that will welcome you as family each time you enter.

There are several dive ops in walking distance including our favorite Tres Pelicanos. And some of the best restaurants.

Last edited:
This will not be a popular answer, but I would buy a package from Dive Paradise / Hotel Barracuda. Cheap, convenient, close to town, supermarket across the street, on the water with a little beach. Clean and basic.
Cozumel Package Rates | Bay Adventures

This will not be a popular answer, but I would buy a package from Dive Paradise / Hotel Barracuda. Cheap, convenient, close to town, supermarket across the street, on the water with a little beach. Clean and basic.
Cozumel Package Rates | Bay Adventures

You're right... neither are popular with me. However, if one wants dirt cheap waterfront accommodations the Barracuda is there. Dive Paradise as a dive op is not for me. I believe Tres Pelicanos has a dive and stay package that offers Barracuda accommodations but before anyone books the Barracuda, read the reviews and know what you are in store for. Yeah, it's true waterfront and it can be had at a great price for true waterfront but, as always, ya get what ya pay for. The trade-off is true waterfront with way substandard room accommodations or "waterview" or "waterfront" in town with the main street separating you from the water but a far, far better room and resort accommodations elsewhere. I walk past the Barracuda on every walk to the Mega from the Casa Mexicana, I see it sitting there but have no interest in staying there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom