First Time To Cozumel In April- Diving Recs, How Far To Book Ahead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@deepsea21 Thank you for your sharing about the weight- that helps, and also makes me feel a little better about where I am at.. And yes- I do notice the rise and fall a bit with the bouancy and breath- although not in a way that bothers me.. unless I am trying to get down or go up.. And definitely notice the difference with the wet suits.. I had a brand new one my last dive and needed a lot more weight (we rent them)

@uncfnp Thank you so much for the recommendation- I will check it out. I just wrote to Tres Pelicano's so if they have availability during our time.. we will book a few days- and then plan our Cozumel trip around that so will be checking availability once that is settled..

crossing my fingers that they will have diving spots available- if not will try someone else:)

@scrane Thanks for your input-:)

@deepsea21 Thank you for your sharing about the weight- that helps, and also makes me feel a little better about where I am at.. And yes- I do notice the rise and fall a bit with the bouancy and breath- although not in a way that bothers me.. unless I am trying to get down or go up.. And definitely notice the difference with the wet suits.. I had a brand new one my last dive and needed a lot more weight (we rent them)

@uncfnp Thank you so much for the recommendation- I will check it out. I just wrote to Tres Pelicano's so if they have availability during our time.. we will book a few days- and then plan our Cozumel trip around that so will be checking availability once that is settled..

crossing my fingers that they will have diving spots available- if not will try someone else:)

@scrane Thanks for your input-:)
They have two boats and you are contacting far enough in advanced that I think you will be fine. We have an April roll call thread so when confirmed, if you want included, let me know. Looks like at least two SBers diving then too. We arrive the day you leave.

April roll call

Do you guys know what the typical DM to diver ratio is on the Tres Pelicanos boats? I'm trying to decide what dive op to use... Staying at Hotel Coz but I want to use a small fast boat to get back fairly early and spend the rest of the day with non-divers. I'll be by myself so I figure a low diver to DM ratio would be best...

I dive with them & stay at Hotel Cozumel & am usually back at the hotel between 1:30 - 2:00 PM. During the busy time of year I'm there Early Feb) we can have up to 9 divers (if I remember correctly there may have been 10 once) but with 2 DM's. Smaller groups will usually get 1 DM

Edited to add there are days when the second dive is done closer to the marina so I've been back just a bit after noon on a few occasions over the years.

I rarely see more than 8 on a boat and 6 to seven more typical on my dives with them. The boats are “small and fast” but large enough to handle that number, especially the Skinny with its wider beam.

And since Tres Pelicanos is popular with local and repeat divers, the divers tend to spread out more. You rarely see more than a few divers stay beside the DM. So if it is your choice, you can get very personal attention. I would let them know your preference and if you want critters pointed out. And of course tip accordingly. :wink:

Since 3Ps lets you dive your gas and computer, dives can last up to 70 minutes. I think 66 was the average our last trip. Typically in the water by 8:30 and a one hour surface interval.

Do you guys know what the typical DM to diver ratio is on the Tres Pelicanos boats? I'm trying to decide what dive op to use... Staying at Hotel Coz but I want to use a small fast boat to get back fairly early and spend the rest of the day with non-divers. I'll be by myself so I figure a low diver to DM ratio would be best...

Typically there are 6 to 8 divers per DM but that is actually a little deceiving. If you have read through some of the reviews and other postings about TP you will find that they have a lot of loyal and very experienced divers that value them for the fact that if you want to be self-sufficient they allow you to loosely follow the group and dive your tank. In reality the DM’s are rarely task loaded with actually needing to keep track of more than 4 of the divers that need or even wish for a guide style of DM. In the event of a larger ratio of inexperienced or rusty divers often I will see Jeanie add an extra DM if she feels it is warranted.

+1 for both Tres P & Villa Escondida. There's plenty of info on SB about Tres P...not as much about Villa Escondida. I almost hate to promote them too much (though I do on occasion) because there are only 4 rooms and I selfishly want availability for myself :). Mostly j/k but with all the news about Coz these days, I would hate for their rooms to sit empty. It is a lovely place and David & Magda (& Millie) are wonderful hosts. Plus Magda's breakfasts kick a$$. :yeahbaby:

To update my "back to the hotel" part it's rare to be as late as 2:00 PM but it's also rare to be back before 12:30. It has a lot to do with where & how deep we dove the first dive which requires a longer surface interval or longer boat trip or even both coupled with where the second dive was. And as pointed out many of us are advanced divers & don't stick close to the DM leaving them to have more time for the rookies who from my time with TP always get extra attention if they ask for it. Sometimes rookies don't want to look like rookies & don't mention they have relatively few dives but that's a bad idea since we all started as rookies & like to help others improve.

Back
Top Bottom