First Time Cozumel Trip 8/13-8/20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BamaDiver23

Registered
Reaction score
First dive trip to Cozumel, woop woop!! My fiancé and I plan on being at the Island on 8/13-8/20, and we are super excited! However, I have been reading a lot of the older threads which is great information, but I feel like I now have paralysis by analysis. So I that thought I would start a stand-alone thread to get everyone's top three.

A little background about us first, both of us are fairly experienced divers and in our mid 20's. The main focus of the trip will be diving, but we would also like to experience what else the island has to offer. We are both foodies, so we would like to be close to the city to explore the cuisine/nightlife. As far as lodging, we are not looking for the nicest place, but prefer not to stay in a dump either. I have looked at the Blue Angel Resort after reading these forums, but unfortunately they are booked on 8/13. I also like the idea of a hotel/dive op in all-in-one, so that way we can do shore dives if we want (as long as the dive op is decent).

Are whale shark tours available in August? With who, and is it worth it?

We will be flying into Cancun. Are the buses the best way to get to Cozumel?

So, having said this my questions are:

Places to stay

Dive Operators, if not going through the hotel

Best Places to Eat
4. (Bonus, we like to eat)

Any other general knowledge for Cozumel newbies? Thank you!!

I will suggest where I have stayed before at hotel Cozumel and resort. I can usually get AI for around $110 for 2. The food isn't great but the AI is only around $10-$15 per day extra. If you drink at all its worth it. They do have a breakfast only option. Being there to dive it is nice to get up eat breakfast and go diving. super convenient. I don't think I ate dinner there one time last trip . We go to town for dinners and sometimes lunch. Also they have a nice dock where any of the dive ops will pick you up. The onsite dive op is dive paradise. they have fast and slow boats and I have dove with them for years.

I will add one thing. I stay at a lot of different places and one nice thing about the resorts is the pool areas where people gather and talk diving or whatever. I have stayed at suites Bahia before and there is no real interaction with other travelers and nowhere to just hang out. You can go to a beach club or something. Being coz newbies I think a cheap AI close to town like hotel coz or park royal would be good. You meet the best people on the boats.

enjoy

First dive trip to Cozumel, woop woop!! My fiancé and I plan on being at the Island on 8/13-8/20, and we are super excited! However, I have been reading a lot of the older threads which is great information, but I feel like I now have paralysis by analysis. So I that thought I would start a stand-alone thread to get everyone's top three.

A little background about us first, both of us are fairly experienced divers and in our mid 20's. The main focus of the trip will be diving, but we would also like to experience what else the island has to offer. We are both foodies, so we would like to be close to the city to explore the cuisine/nightlife. As far as lodging, we are not looking for the nicest place, but prefer not to stay in a dump either. I have looked at the Blue Angel Resort after reading these forums, but unfortunately they are booked on 8/13. I also like the idea of a hotel/dive op in all-in-one, so that way we can do shore dives if we want (as long as the dive op is decent).

Are whale shark tours available in August? With who, and is it worth it?

We will be flying into Cancun. Are the buses the best way to get to Cozumel?

So, having said this my questions are:

Places to stay

Dive Operators, if not going through the hotel

Best Places to Eat
4. (Bonus, we like to eat)

Any other general knowledge for Cozumel newbies? Thank you!!
If you're going to Coz to dive, it's hard to beat Aldora for lodging and diving. Their standard tank is a steel HP120 and you'll get 70+ minute dives. Their dive boats are fast and small (usually a 6-pack) and pick up at the Villa dock.

Really a no-brainer (for me)

IMO, if eating a bunch of the killer food is a priority, stay in town at Casa Mexicana, Suites Bahia, etc.......The dollar is so strong against the peso it makes eating and drinking as close to free as it can get. The only time my wife and I are in the room is to shower and sleep, otherwise we're diving followed by heading out eating and drinking. You can walk to the dive ops, docks, hotels, restaurants, etc...and only ever get in a car to get to/from the airport. The downside would be no shore diving. We will actually be down there during that same time. There are a bunch of good dive ops which has been gone over here time and time again.

Thank guys love the recommendations. Keep them coming.

I like what I see at Aldora, but they are priced a few hundred over Blue Angel Resort is the extra cost worth it? Is there a website for Hotel Cozumel and Resort, I cannot find it?

DFDubb, we should meet up for drinks down there.

Thank guys love the recommendations. Keep them coming.

I like what I see at Aldora, but they are priced a few hundred over Blue Angel Resort is the extra cost worth it? Is there a website for Hotel Cozumel and Resort, I cannot find it?

DFDubb, we should meet up for drinks down there.
Is it worth the cost? Staying or diving?

Diving? How do you feel about 45 minute dives?

Staying? Up to you. . . I like the place and the vibe. You need to be diving to stay at the Villa, that does tend to weed out the party-all-night-till-you-drop crowd.

I just realized how bad all the ads are on google. You cant even find the actual hotel Cozumel website with all the ad links. That being said I have always got the best deals on cheap tickets with whatever promo code they have that week.

BamaDiver23:

Since only a very few dive op.s offer 120 cf tanks in Cozumel (Aldora, Living Underwater, I think I read one other?), think about you guy's gas consumption rate and whether the bigger tanks would help either of you out.

Since Aldora Villas came up, and you're also interested in topside 'what the island has to offer' things, you made me think of a thread started by Aldora owner Dave Dillehay, Why Not the North Hotel Zone? Some of the discussion there contrasting locations might be of interest to you, like Post #6 by Cicopo.

Richard.

I stayed at Scuba Club and would stay again in a heartbeat. It was my first time there also. All meals were included as was shore diving and boat diving minus the night dives and wreck. It was nice coming back off the boat and lunch was there ready and you didnt have to make anything or get cleaned up to eat. People literally got off the boat threw their dive gear in the lockers and walked into the dining area. Most would then do a shore dive in between lunch and dinner. Didnt really have to get dressed up for dinner. Quick shower shorts and tshirt was typical. Most boat rides were 30-40 minutes long. We rented a car one day and drove over to the Gulf side of the island where the white sand beaches were. Don't fall for the Tequllia distillery tours. Its a big tourist trap. Also the Aztec ruins, we drove by them. Not much to see definitely not like the big block pyramids you think. I'd say the reason I liked Scuba Club most, you didnt have to do anything. Breakfast Lunch Dinner, dive shop on site. It was easy and very very laid back.

If your heart is not set on a dive resort consider Villa Escondida B & B in town. We are staying there right now. Its three blocks in and one block over walking distance to the pier for pick up from many of the dive boats including Aldora. The ferry to Playa is just a few blocks more.

Magda includes a wonderful Mexician breakfast. If you have an early trip planned then a pastry, the freshest sliced fruit, yogurt and granola...Maybe an omlette too if you are hungry. The was so much food the first day we actually asked her to hold the omelettes.

The rooms are in a separate building, each with its own entrance. The courtyard is beauitfully landscaped and the pool a cool oasis.

There are too many wonderful restaurants within an easy walk to list. Many of them are on my recent thread. Best meal by Restaurant in Cozumel - updated

So far every fellow guest have been divers but there will not be the large social gathering you would expect at a large dive resort. And though there is a common room with a TV I have yet to see anyone spend time there. A small fridge is also available.

The entrance to two of the rooms...

image.jpeg

The view from where I am writing this...

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom