First time buyer has a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenblayza

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for some input and hoping someone can help:

A guy near me is selling an Oceanic CDX5 first stage, Oceanic Delta 3 primary and Apeks T20 octopus with a bog standard (not sure what that means) SPG for about $200. (It doesn't come with the BCD inflator hose.)

It has about 110 dives all total and was just serviced a month ago.

It's my first reg purchase and I'm taking my DM this year with plans to work a season then take the Instructor and go from there - all warm water, tropical diving. I'm very interested in technical and plan to take that route when the time comes.

I feel like this is a good deal and would save me money as I need to purchase all my gear yet. From the research I've done it sounds like a reliable, sturdy setup. On the other had, as far as tech, it's down the road, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to spend the money now to buy 'tech ready' gear.

Opinions appreciated :)

Thanks!

I own several Oceanic reg sets, including a CDX5. CDX5 usually are paired with a GT3 second stage, which is a good set up. I have not seen a Delta 3 in a long time. Apex octo should be fine. Have no idea what a "bog standard" SPG is (Hog SPG?). Sounds like a thrown togeter set up, but for $200 would be good for recreational diving.

What I don't get is that this is your first reg set, and you intend to soon go into training as a DM. As an instructor, I require my advanced students to own complete kit including compass and computer(s). As a dive professional our gear is/are tools of our trade, and we are expected to be perfect in it use. To be frank, I think you may be getting ahead of yourself with your plan to move into the professional ranks and into tech diving. I suggest you try to find a mentor, an accomplished dive pro who can advise and guide you if becoming a dive professional is your goal. Take it from an "Old Guy", you don't know what you don't know. Please know that my comments are ment to be constructive and to help you on your way.

A guy near me is selling an Oceanic CDX5 first stage, Oceanic Delta 3 primary and Apeks T20 octopus with a bog standard (not sure what that means) SPG for about $200. (It doesn't come with the BCD inflator hose.) . . . I feel like this is a good deal and would save me money as I need to purchase all my gear yet. From the research I've done it sounds like a reliable, sturdy setup. On the other had, as far as tech, it's down the road, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to spend the money now to buy 'tech ready' gear.
Tough call. I agree with SOFDiver - you frequently see (currently) a CDX5 mated with a GT3. The Delta 3 is a 'mature' second stage - nothing wrong with it, it has just been around. The T20 is definitely an older Apeks reg. For warm water use, as an octo, it should be fine. Apeks gear is fairly bomb-proof. The older second stages are a bit on the big (and heavy) side, though.

I can see that the price would be appealing. For what you plan to use it for immediately, it is a decent purchase. DO NOT buy this planning to use it for tech ready gear. You would want different second stages. But, you could buy it for DM, get a lot of use out of it, sell the second stages in a year, then add some money and buy a couple of more contemporary second stages (e.g. a couple of Apeks XTX50s).

I think that 'bog standard' means - in relation to SCUBA - 'ordinary or unremarkable'.

Last edited:
The air barrel in the older T series 2nd stages is the same as the one in the ATX and XTX 2nd stages ..... theoretically the older regs with the mechanical advantage of a larger diaphragm will have a lower WOB than the newer regs.

The air barrel in the older T series 2nd stages is the same as the one in the ATX and XTX 2nd stages ..... theoretically the older regs with the mechanical advantage of a larger diaphragm will have a lower WOB than the newer regs.
Right. My comment was more related to the relative size ('largeness' and slightly greater weight) of the older units, compared to the newer ones. I can't distinguish a difference in breathing, but I do notice (or imagine) that the older units exercise my jaw muscles a bit more.

The CDX 5 is IMO Oceanic's best first stage. I've owned three of them. Now all HOG but my second reg was a CDX5 Delta 3 followed by a CDX5 with GT 3. They were my doubles regs until I switched and were used under the ice, to depths of 155 feet, and with trimix. First stages and seconds performed flawlessly. That said the delta 3 second can be a bear to service. The way you need to do it is time consuming and if not done exactly right will give you fits. I did mine a couple times and the little nut you need to get on the lever assembly is a PIA. It's a nylock type and if you mess it up you're not supposed to back it off and start over. It won't hold. There are a few other things that tend to be problematic when servicing the Delta 3 second but they are minor. Yet altogether enough that the one I have left is not worth me messing with. Makes a nice classroom aid now but that's about it. And since I can't get parts without jumping through hoops it's not worth the effort. If you have a good tech with a supply of parts it's well worth the price being asked.

As for some of the other comments while I agree that as a DM you need to own your own gear before you start and instinctive in it's use I don't think you need to own a computer. I know that's the line now tossed out by some so that fast money can be made and student turnaround increased over knowledge and skill, what you need to work on before starting DM is your basic skills and knowledge. A DM candidate should have exemplary skills before starting the class.

And since some are even dumbing down the DM class get yourself a copy of Deco for Divers and the US Navy Manual. And if you can the NOAA Manual. Study em while getting your skills up to demonstration quality. The DM class will then hopefully show you how to demo them to students. For the way I think they should be done look up the 5thdx videos on you tube. Like this: Mask Removal and Replacement - Scuba - YouTube

Better than the silly Marcel Marceau kneeling on the pool bottom stuff you'll likely have to lower yourself to doing as seen here: *PLEASE VOTE* for the best Mask Removal and Replace for these Instructors on their IDC :) - YouTube

Then think about becoming a DM

Back
Top Bottom