First service cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motorref

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Last month I took my ~16 month old regulator to the local dive shop for it's first annual check-up; I bought it in December, 2011, and last used it in Oct., 2012, but wanted it checked out for a trip next week. While not a top of the line setup, it is my first set, an Aeris Ion AT-600 DVT - very nice rig that I got for a great price from the guys at Indian Valley Scuba (NOT my LDS).
I explained to the owner (super nice guy, BTW) that I was having minor issues witht he primary second stage reg free-flowing occaissionally, and asked if they could look into it.
Went to pick it up last week and was given a bill in excess of $220; they decided to rebuild every freaking stage! Ralph and I talked about it "Well yeah, it does seem kinda high" and he was going to talk to the tech that did the work and find out why it was so much.
Got the call today that it was ready for pickup, and the price hadn't changed a penny.
Since the cost of what should have been a simple bench check evolved into a full blown (un-needed?) rebuild that approaches what I spent for it, why should I even bother getting it checked - it'll be cheaper to buy a new one every two years!

So, the big question is "Am I getting screwed here, and why were all 3 stages rebuild on equipment only 16 months old?"

Thx,
KevinL
icon8.png
confused2.gif
:depressed:

The tech may have found that the IP was creeping, which means the 1st needed a rebuild. Usually if the HP seat is dimpled, so is the LP seat, thus, the 2nd stage is rebuilt. While we're at it, usually the octo is serviced as well.

However, $220 does seem high.

I wouldn't expect more than $60 in service parts + $100 in labor.

Did you ask to have all parts returned?

I suspect he replaced exhaust valves (not needed $10? X2), diaphragm (not needed $30?), LP seats (probably needed $10? X2) and a full service kit for the first including the HP seat (partially needed $30-60?). Then he had to set it up and adjust it. That could easily take me a couple of hours from start to finish. Labor ($60? X2).

High end, $250.00.

There is a reason I service my own stuff and purchase generally simple, bullet proof regulators and equipment whenever possible.

One thing that always bothered me about dive shops is that they do not give an estimate beforehand nor call for approval if the bill is going to be high. This happened to me twice. I would ask for an itemized bill to see where the charges are coming from. I looked up Aeris's warranty coverage, 2 years which sucks by the way, but you are still covered.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2013 at 01:33 PM ----------

Did you ask to have all parts returned?

He should not need to ask. The parts should be returned automatically.

I brought my Micron in for service a few weeks back for an intermittent free flow as well. Told them to check it out and let me know what the deal is before they get to far into it. $172 was my price for the first and second stage rebuild [$90 for service $82 for parts]. My regs are 4 years old and serviced every year (last service in August) and so fortunately, I had the parts for life deal and only had to pay $90.

While $220 might seem high, you need to see if you have the parts for life deal on your reg and what the breakdown of the charges are.

Why you needed an overhaul is beyond me but I was told by the shop (and read here on SB) that getting a reg overhauled at 200 dives is not out of the ordinary. (my reg had almost 300 on it).

So, the big question is "Am I getting screwed here, and why were all 3 stages rebuild on equipment only 16 months old?"

In my opinion, I think you are getting screwed. For example ScubaToys quotes a price of $60 for the service and estimates parts at $30 on the high side.

Traditionally, manufacturers would recommend a rebuild annually regardless of the number of dives. Atomic was the first manufacturer (that I know of) to break with tradition to require an overhaul every other year with a bench check in between. Other manufacturers have since followed suit, however Aeris is not one of them. They still require an annual service (according to their website) and their warranty is crap at only two years. For example, Subgear is 15 years and Aqualung is life.

I would again request to speak with the owner and ask him to explain how a bench check became a $220 repair bill.

Wow! I never thought service would be that expensive in the US! Average cost here (Philippines) is less than 100 USD which includes rebuilding all the stages, hose checks, new o-rings for the HP spool. This is assuming of course that no new parts were used aside from the standard service kits. Now I understand why DIY reg service seems to be catching on. Here DIY'ing can get expensive due to the investment in the right tools plus the effort you put into it.

Parts/labor equals about $120 for first stage, primary and octopus for a rebuild. Year two is more of an inspection,adjust and costs $15-$25. Obviously my LDS is quite reasonable.

Thx,
KevinL
icon8.png
confused2.gif
:depressed:

It's hard to say until you bring some facts to the table. 16 months is hardly an explicit reason for a rebuild, even 100+ dives is no big deal. However those are not the things that tend to mess up a regulator. A few mishaps in the rinse tank or with salt water splashing for instance could leave you needing rebuilds and some additional parts.

Get the facts of what was done and why and it all may make good sense whether you like it or not.

In the future make use of the regulator checklist at the top of this forum. 5 minutes with an IP gauge would confirm the health of the first stage for instance.

Pete

Last month I took my ~16 month old regulator to the local dive shop for it's first annual check-up;
What do you mean by 'annual check up'? I would consider that as annual service if you asked me to do that. I would rebuild the first stage and both second stages. BUT, I would tell you - before I even accepted the regulator - that I was going to do just that.
I bought it in December, 2011, and last used it in Oct., 2012, but wanted it checked out for a trip next week. While not a top of the line setup, it is my first set, an Aeris Ion AT-600 DVT - very nice rig that I got for a great price from the guys at Indian Valley Scuba (NOT my LDS).
When (how long ago) you bought it, and how much you have used it, is irrelevant. What you asked for when you brought it to the shop is relevant.
I explained to the owner (super nice guy, BTW) that I was having minor issues witht he primary second stage reg free-flowing occaissionally, and asked if they could look into it.
Did you and the owner have a discussion of exactly what 'look into it' might entail? We have similar situations arise periodically. Someone brings a reg in and says, 'I am going on a dive trip. Could you check it over?' The first thing we do is ask them what they actually want done. 'Check it over' is really not a specific service item in our work list (nor is 'look into it'). We tell them what we can do - for example, we can check IPs, we can check second stages on the manometer. We can do both at our hourly service rate (which is a lot lower than automobile dealer service rates, by the way). But, if we find the IP is unstable, or out of tolerance, we are going to rebuild the first stage, and put in new parts. It makes no sense to rebuild it, only to find the same problem exists, then have to do it again with new parts. If we find the second stage doesn't breathe well or free-flows, we are going to disassemble it. If we do that, we are going to do a full second stage service. Again, if we are going to disassemble a stage, it makes no sense to not replace the usual service parts.
Went to pick it up last week and was given a bill in excess of $220; they decided to rebuild every freaking stage!
Not altogether surprising - that they rebuilt the first and primary second stage. But, the price for one first stage and two second stages seems a bit high. And, depending on what you told them when you brought it in - if you asked for an 'annual check', for example - I am not necessarily surprised that they rebuilt all stages - one first and two second stages.
That is called, I believe, annual service. And, the age of the equipment is irrelevant. The price is high. But, a lot depends on exactly what you asked them to do. I don't know that you are being screwed, even if the price is high. I think you may want to be more precise in what you ask a service center to do in the future. In any event, you DEFINITELY want to ask for a detailed service log and schedule of charges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom