First service cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the world of scuba service. Didn't you get a free cup of coffee?

If you are lucky, the tech did a good job but it is not uncommon to get them back in worse working order than when sent in.

Sounds high..labor here in NY is $59. for all 3 stages...parts are what parts cost..so figure around $60. to $75.( that is on the high side )..unless something else done like replace hose/add hose guards at a cost of about $3.-$4. each for every hose ..normal "annual" service should run about $120.-

Wow! I never thought service would be that expensive in the US! Average cost here (Philippines) is less than 100 USD which includes rebuilding all the stages, hose checks, new o-rings for the HP spool. This is assuming of course that no new parts were used aside from the standard service kits. Now I understand why DIY reg service seems to be catching on. Here DIY'ing can get expensive due to the investment in the right tools plus the effort you put into it.

Can you buy rebuild kits in the Philippines? If so it may be worth your while, the tools are not all that expensive and some regulators really don't need any.

Welcome to the world of scuba service. Didn't you get a free cup of coffee?

If you are lucky, the tech did a good job but it is not uncommon to get them back in worse working order than when sent in.

Sadly, what master awap says is very often true.

As far as prices for a rebuild, that varies by region and by shop.

An "average" labor cost could be around $25 per stage, thus $75 total, plus annual service kits (1 overpriced kit each for each stage), so parts may cost another $40 - $60; and if parts that are not included in the "annual service kits" are required, the price can go up quickly. :shocked2:

So, $75 labor plus $40 to $60 parts = $115 to $135 as an "average"??

Over $200 sounds steep to me, but like others have already said, could be "ok" I guess, depending....

I'd go broke quickly if I needed to spend $200 x 9 (the current number of reg sets I own)..... which is why I learned how to service my own, and do not service on an "annual" schedule.... but that is a different topic, but one that is worthwhile investigating if you have the interest.

Best wishes.

Last month I took my ~16 month old regulator to the local dive shop for it's first annual check-up; I bought it in December, 2011, and last used it in Oct., 2012, but wanted it checked out for a trip next week. While not a top of the line setup, it is my first set, an Aeris Ion AT-600 DVT - very nice rig that I got for a great price from the guys at Indian Valley Scuba (NOT my LDS).
I explained to the owner (super nice guy, BTW) that I was having minor issues witht he primary second stage reg free-flowing occaissionally, and asked if they could look into it.
Went to pick it up last week and was given a bill in excess of $220; they decided to rebuild every freaking stage!

There is no such thing as a "rebuild". If you take your regs in for service they should use the standard service kit on all 3 stages (1x 1st and 2x 2nd). These kits cost little, so even with a 100% markup you're looking at $60 (based on APEKS prices) for the kits, plus labour. A good tech should be able to do a reg in 1hr. If they take 3 hours they are fleecing you. The reg should come back with all the parts they've taken out, o-rings and HP seats. Plus a list of consumables i,e any hoses that needed replacing.

Yes, as mentioned other parts could possibly need replacing, such as 2nd stage diaphrams, but honestly I've had mine for 6 years and done 1000+ dives with no wear and tear. But these parts should be listed.

Ask for an itemised bill for the parts and labour

So, the big question is "Am I getting screwed here, and why were all 3 stages rebuild on equipment only 16 months old?"

Yes, you are.

A good tech should be able to do a reg in 1hr. If they take 3 hours they are fleecing you.

I call BS! I am a decent tech. It takes me 2-3 hrs/ regulator set (sometimes a little longer with multiple interruptions). Taking that long does not mean I am a bad tech,... I am thorough. I change O-rings on every hose, gauges, batteries on computers & transmitters, Thoroughly clean all reused parts & then rebuild the replaceable parts. I thoroughly test & cycle (200- 300 cycles) the regulators & even do a "dunk test to check for leaks that may not be detectable by the ear. I would rather be a bit slow & thorough with my work, than to screw it up. Slow does not equate bad. However, our shop only charges a flat labor rate of about $30/ stage + parts, if not under a parts warranty.

I call BS! I am a decent tech. It takes me 2-3 hrs/ regulator set (sometimes a little longer with multiple interruptions). Taking that long does not mean I am a bad tech,... I am thorough. I change O-rings on every hose, gauges, batteries on computers & transmitters, Thoroughly clean all reused parts & then rebuild the replaceable parts. I thoroughly test & cycle (200- 300 cycles) the regulators & even do a "dunk test to check for leaks that may not be detectable by the ear. I would rather be a bit slow & thorough with my work, than to screw it up. Slow does not equate bad. However, our shop only charges a flat labor rate of about $30/ stage + parts, if not under a parts warranty.

Sorry but that's your issue not mine. I do my regs in around 90 mins and that's soaking the parts in water/vinegar and then using a toothbrush to clean anything really encrusted. As opposed to using the Sonic bath, which takes minutes.

I can give you the e-mail of the guy that trained me, if you want pointers. But don't call BS just because you yourself cannot do it.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2013 at 11:31 AM ----------

Due to Health and Safety Regulations in the UK I had to actually let someone else service my work regs this year. Although I had to wait four weeks due to an epic backlog the I was charged £60 for kits and labour.

Sorry but that's your issue not mine. I do my regs in around 90 mins and that's soaking the parts in water/vinegar and then using a toothbrush to clean anything really encrusted. As opposed to using the Sonic bath, which takes minutes.
Hmm, what conclusion should we draw from this...

Trimming quotes to make yourself look smarter?

Hmm, what conclusion should we draw from this...

He reason was there. You just snipped it out. He's missing a tool that could help him go faster.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2013 at 05:58 AM ----------

So, the big question is "Am I getting screwed here, and why were all 3 stages rebuild on equipment only 16 months old?"

There's actually a bigger question. You can get screwed on price and/or quality. Have you dove the reg yet? Have you ruled out the possibility that they messed it up when they did the work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom