First service cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, what conclusion should we draw from this...

The good (shop employed) tech has the ultrasonic part cleaner he mentioned. Besides, if I am home doing it on my own time I may be even more detailed oriented and just spend more time enjoying the task.

Also, do some shops that perhaps don't have a full time employee at the service bench pay a tech a flat rate to turn the jobs? That will generate some hustle!

Until the OP comes back with the story behind the bill you're all shooting in the dark.

Sorry but that's your issue not mine. I do my regs in around 90 mins and that's soaking the parts in water/vinegar and then using a toothbrush to clean anything really encrusted. As opposed to using the Sonic bath, which takes minutes.

I can give you the e-mail of the guy that trained me, if you want pointers. But don't call BS just because you yourself cannot do it.

Not an issue on my part. I would rather be a tad slower & do it correctly every time, than fast & screw it up. I do regs from multiple manufacturers & some are a bit more involved than others. I would be inclined to agree with you on a simple, unbalnaced regulator than a more complicated balanced one. No ultrasonic cleaner in our shop. Just an acidic bath & tooth brush to clean metal parts.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2013 at 06:54 AM ----------

Also, do some shops that perhaps don't have a full time employee at the service bench pay a tech a flat rate to turn the jobs? That will generate some hustle!

I am part time, but the closest the shop has to a full time tech. Unfortunately, in the mid west there is not enough service work to be able to support the salary for a full time tech. I am paid by the regulator set I complete. Even that does not "generate hustle". As I mentioned above, I would rather take my time & get it right that be Speedy Gonzolas & mess it up, as many of our shop's clients are also very good friends.

Not an issue on my part. I would rather be a tad slower & do it correctly every time, than fast & screw it up. I do regs from multiple manufacturers & some are a bit more involved than others. I would be inclined to agree with you on a simple, unbalnaced regulator than a more complicated balanced one. No ultrasonic cleaner in our shop. Just an acidic bath & tooth brush to clean metal parts.

Could you give me an example of these more involved regs?

I know we're drifting off topic but for me "more involved" is not anything to do with the reg design but all to do with not cosmetically damaging the reg in order to get it apart to do the actual service.
It's not that unusual to find yourself servicing a reg at it's 1st service that is 5 or more years old and has been put away wet and salty. From the factory many regs come with little or no lube on the threads.
I hate pin spanners.
Wart, I bet you've struggled with a DST that now has an oval hole.

He reason was there. You just snipped it out. He's missing a tool that could help him go faster

He said a good tech could do it in an hour. You know what they say about workmen & tools.

He also said anyone who who takes 2-3 hours is "fleecing" the customer, despite the fact that many shops charge flat rates.

What do you think is better value for money, for the same cost: 1hour labour or 2-3?

Wart, I bet you've struggled with a DST that now has an oval hole.

Getting a personal pin spanner was hard enough in the UK.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2013 at 04:23 PM ----------

He said a good tech could do it in an hour. You know what they say about workmen & tools.

Nothing to do with tools. Just facts. When I serviced at work I had a sonic bath, easy job. Now I service my kit at home all I have is elbow grease and that takes longer. The difference is about half an hour, maybe more.

I didn't catch your articulated lorry-driving credentials either, which have about as much to do with it i.e. nothing

I didn't catch your articulated lorry-driving credentials either, which have about as much to do with it i.e. nothing

I have a medium-rigid West Australian truck drivers license. :wink:

So, your experience servicing regulators?

Back
Top Bottom