First Rebreather Purchase - Lots of Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apologies - the comment maybe could have used a bit of clarity and I think I may have ruffled a few feathers with no interest in the tech diving. It was more along the lines of carrying the 100+ pounds of gear etc on OC here in the PNW so a sidemount is probably not my preferred path.

I work in a highly technical scientific field so attention to detail is literally what I do on a daily basis - my ability to handle the CCR is definitely within my wheelhouse.

This was simply just a very general ask.

The buddy of mine who is CCR diving in Puget Sound went from recreational diving open circuit straight into CCR diving...just saying...it can be done!! :)

Apologies - the comment maybe could have used a bit of clarity and I think I may have ruffled a few feathers with no interest in the tech diving. It was more along the lines of carrying the 100+ pounds of gear etc on OC here in the PNW so a sidemount is probably not my preferred path.

I work in a highly technical scientific field so attention to detail is literally what I do on a daily basis - my ability to handle the CCR is definitely within my wheelhouse.

This was simply just a very general ask.

I don't think you ruffled any feathers, we are just looking for clarification on your situation. So at this point you are a simple single tank diver doing recreational profiles?

If longer bottom times is all you want--what do you consider long bottom times?-- I would make the suggestion of maybe looking at slinging an al80 stage. A $200 stage bottle is certainly easier than dropping $14K on a CCR.

I don't think you will find many people here who would recommend anyone jump from single tank diving to CCR--the chasm is too wide with too many alternatives before going CCR.

Any CCR with O2 and dil bottles, sorb, a little bit more lead to compensate for the loop volume, and bailout gas is going to weight about the same as a pair of small doubles. You could far more easily and cheaply be doing 90-120min dives on a set of double lp85s or lp72s depending on the profile. CCR is not "lighter"

I'm completely biased as I'm a user and instructor but I suggest looking at a Sub-Gravity Defender or XCCR. Both travel very well, the electronics are Shearwater for the secondaries, and the XCCR is a shearwater controller.

They are simple machines to assemble, they can be outfitted specifically for travel and to be as light as possible within their designs. They are incredibly robust and support can be found right here in the US, specifically Utah.

Willing to travel to you for a class. I love diving in the Puget sound! Best of luck on the research.

@ccmurphy2005 as mentioned above, a full "ready to dive" CCR is going to be damn near 100lbs. The Liberty has really great specs out and is pretty similar to any "normal" style CCR, think Meg, JJ, etc. and is just over 80lbs. That's backplate/wing/unit.
The Revo is 71lbs without backplate/wing etc. so will be about the same 80lbs ready to go.
JJ ready to dive is about 75lbs.

A single tank rig with a HP120 is 50lbs for tank/valve, ~15lbs for regulator/backplate etc. so you're splitting the difference between a single tank rig and a CCR without any ballast. CCR's also tend to be rather floaty so while they're that much heavier, you don't get any ballast advantage.

A set of double HP100's will be about 90lbs+backplate and wing, so maybe 110lbs total, but will allow you to remove probably 10lbs of ballast compared to a CCR or single tank so your maybe 20lbs heavier with a set of doubles, but about $9k cheaper....

I have 3 CCR's, I firmly believe in them and am incredibly glad I'm able to dive them as my rig of choice, but they aren't for everyone.

I am a Seattle based CCR diver. PM me if you are interested in meeting up for a dive and talking rebreathers. I dive a Kiss Spirit LTE, and before that a Sport Kiss since 2007. These are mCCR units, light weight, perfect for travel. I do a ton of local diving, trips to BC, and all over the world mostly on the CCRs. Like you I don't aim to go super deep, but I don't shy away from embracing Tec-Diving. Longer dives, more flexible profiles, silent diving, etc are the draws for me.

As for your Perdix, you'll want it for a backup but you'll need an Externally connected Petrel or Predator unless your unit has a proprietary controller.

1. Currently diving with a Shearwater Perdix computer - which I thoroughly enjoy but am not 100% married to
2. Want the ability to travel with
3. Not really into tech diving - looking more for extended bottom times - super deep is not a big concern, but Id like to still have options down the road

I am a recent rb convert. Had many of the same questions. Decided on JJ-CCR and extremely happy with it. I have a strong local JJ community and local instructors for JJ.
1. Perdix is a great backup computer for any rb with Shearwater electronics.
2. JJ is not the lightest one to travel with, but you can squeeze everything you need on a warm water dive trip into a suitcase and a carry on. Two suitcases for a drysuit trip. Some units may travel slightly lighter, but none of them is small enough for flying without checking in some luggage. JJ is rugged and has a nice frame, it really excels in rough boat diving.
3. CCR is tech, and (relatively) deeper and longer dives will be tempting once you get used to your unit. Do not limit your options by choosing a "recreational" or otherwise limited unit.
Having recently completed Level 2 (MOD2) training, I recommend you to include that into your roadmap from the beginning. Not only for the depth, but more for problem solving skills and practicing them and getting feedback. My MOD1 course was great, and had plenty of MOD2 and cave style thinking included. Still I'd say anyone will benefit enormously from taking advanced level courses.

It was more along the lines of carrying the 100+ pounds of gear etc on OC

In the end, you will be carrying at least equal amount of gear. I need some extra weight with my JJ (in full cold water gear). Thus the minimum weight of gear I carry on any dive is essentially the same as for a single deco gas OC dive. For deco dives you need additional bailouts, thus the bulk of equipment won't be smaller at any point. Dives will be longer and possibly deeper with RB.
Maintenance takes some time, but that hasn't been overwhelming. I blend everything myself. With two sets of dil/o2 cylinders, filling and boosting takes less time than filling multiple sets of doubles during a good weekend. Other maintenance takes time too, but that hasn't bothered me. Building routines helps and is much safer too. I haven't found my diving days to be any longer due to maintenance. I also haven't run a compressor past midnight since switching.

first a couple of kiss homebuilds

bought this one for $140
full.jpg

now I just have to hang some stuff from it like this other homebuild

full.jpg

Not feeling it?

Buy one like this from the factory

full.jpg

and after you carry it on in a shoulder bag
go and scratch around shallow or at 100M

and never pay new

The points above about logistics are worth repeating. With a twinset and back to back days of deep dive so you need to get trimix fills and deco fills each day. With a rebreather you can go longer between fills, keep more o2/dil cylinder sets or top up off of bigger cylinders.

And of course the OP should obviously buy a JJ :) they are great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom