First Post! First BC purchase, a mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo:
I was referring to Zeagle goods finding their way into the LP warehouse, and Zeagle not warrantying them as LP is not an authorised dealer. The first post in this thread was by someone who had ordered from LP and found out *after* the fact that their new BC won't have a warranty. Scott has indicated Zeagle has gone to some lengths to prevent this from happening, but has not been entirely successful.

To address your second point, I've been leaving my signature off these posts, because I was posting as an individual, not a business. I am in the online dive retail business myself.

LP is in the state of New York, where the Attorney General spends a lot of time investigating business that may be violating the law. I find it very interesting that, at least as far as I know, neither the retail photo businesses nor LP have been investigated. Both the camera sales and the LP diving industries have been accused of dealing in "grey market" products.

As far as the original poster not reading LP's policies, Caveat Emptor. LP's policies are very clearly marked on their website.

garyfotodiver:
LP is in the state of New York, where the Attorney General spends a lot of time investigating business that may be violating the law. I find it very interesting that, at least as far as I know, neither the retail photo businesses nor LP have been investigated. Both the camera sales and the LP diving industries have been accused of dealing in "grey market" products.

Dealing Grey Market is not illegal... the Attorney General would not care. They do have a disclaimer noting that the customer will not get a manufacturers warranty - so what they are doing is not illegal... I just wonder how many people assumed they were getting equipment that would be covered under a manufacturers warranty.... who did not read the fine print. I've had more than a few in my store that purchased from there and did not realize they would have to pay for reg parts, or have to go back through them when they had a problem instead of going to an authorized dealer.

scubatoys:
And Scott... thanks for telling everyone to call me to figure out internet policies. I got 1,436 phone calls today alone! :wink:

That's why I love you, man....you help take some of the calls ~I~ usually get!!!!

:D

scubatoys:
Dealing Grey Market is not illegal... the Attorney General would not care. They do have a disclaimer noting that the customer will not get a manufacturers warranty - so what they are doing is not illegal... I just wonder how many people assumed they were getting equipment that would be covered under a manufacturers warranty.... who did not read the fine print. I've had more than a few in my store that purchased from there and did not realize they would have to pay for reg parts, or have to go back through them when they had a problem instead of going to an authorized dealer.

That's right, Grey Market dealing is not illegal. I am glad someone understands. Like Scubatoys, I read the policies of LP BEFORE I made my first purchase. I understood that my Mares regulator might not have a US warranty, even though it had manufacturer's documentation. At service time, at an authorized Mares dealer, I paid the same amount of money as I do for my other regulators. In other words, I saved $40 on the deal and have experienced no inconveniences.

We do not live in a risk-free society, despite what some do-good organizations would have us believe. Read the fine print.

garyfotodiver:
That's right, Grey Market dealing is not illegal. I am glad someone understands. Like Scubatoys, I read the policies of LP BEFORE I made my first purchase. I understood that my Mares regulator might not have a US warranty, even though it had manufacturer's documentation. At service time, at an authorized Mares dealer, I paid the same amount of money as I do for my other regulators. In other words, I saved $40 on the deal and have experienced no inconveniences.

We do not live in a risk-free society, despite what some do-good organizations would have us believe. Read the fine print.

Hey Gary, the thing I don't understand is when you can buy if for the exact same price with warranty, why did you opt to buy grey market anyway? There are multiple places, not just Scubatoys that will match their price and give you a full warranty from the manufacturer... That's the thing I don't get.

Larry, I do it... because I get to order immediately and avoid the hassle of what feels like bargaining.. and anything I order from LP invariably gets here the next day due to their proximity.

jonnythan:
Larry, I do it... because I get to order immediately and avoid the hassle of what feels like bargaining.. and anything I order from LP invariably gets here the next day due to their proximity.

Yea, ground UPS for us to NY is about 3-4 days... but then you'd also have no sales tax... and it doesn't take a lot of bargaining... "Call Larry, say, I want this and they have it for this amount, I say ok, it's shipping today thanks." Pretty easy overall. Wish I could mark those prices for click to buy... but can't and still give full warranty.

Call? You mean use the phone?

Ew :wink:

FWIW, I recommend Scubatoys to my friends and appreciate your presence both in the industry and on this board in particular. You're a stand-up guy.

I only buy the occasional little thing at LP, so you're not missing much anyway :wink:

jonnythan:
Call? You mean use the phone?

Ew :wink:

FWIW, I recommend Scubatoys to my friends and appreciate your presence both in the industry and on this board in particular. You're a stand-up guy.

I only buy the occasional little thing at LP, so you're not missing much anyway :wink:

Well hell!@#? If I knew you didn't have much cash I wouldn't have spent all this time courting you! :wink:

scubatoys:
Well hell!@#? If I knew you didn't have much cash I wouldn't have spent all this time courting you! :wink:
Darn, now I gave myself away!

Back
Top Bottom