First Post! First BC purchase, a mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your answers Scott. It's really apreciated that someone in the industry is honest enough to talk about that publicly. I still won't buy from the LDS (and will not feel bad), simply because their prices are ridiculous. It's not the customers duty to keep the LDS alive, but the LDS to give a good service to the customer, so he will come back, and bring his friends with him. All that said, I will buy from an authorized dealer for sure the next time....probably scubatoys!

Thanks for the response - it was a pretty blunt question I asked. Maybe adding serial numbers to BCs might be in Zeagle's future - OxyCheq for example has serial numbers on all of the wings I import. I think that the Zeagle distributor here in Australia would probably love to see it - I remember a case on a local forum where an Australian diver had been told by a (reputable) US dive shop that the warranty for his new Zeagle gear he bought online from the US would be honored in Australia by the Australian distributor - regardless of the overseas dealer status, buying online from outside the country makes it grey market.

Would also help with the LeisurePro problem :evil:

Larry...

True or false??? do you match LP prices for things you carry? If so, you have my eternal business!!!! I am not a fan of LP, but you know the whole story.... blah blah.... I would definitely rather support the 'good guys'! wink! Thanks

Should add I do support the one LDS that earns my love and gratitude, but they don't carry all things... (like Zeagle) :(

okey dokey Larry,

I says it right on the web site... geez! You'd think a person could read the writing on the wall, eh?? Thanks :)

This doesn’t pertain to Zeagle but the majority of Scuba Pro grey market stuff supposedly came from Europe. One of my buddies bought a Mk2 R190 from LP and I did some servicing for him as a personal friend, I know it’s a no no, but I found the first stage way out of specs, and missing an o-ring. My buddy sold the reg and now works for the same dive shop I do.

Regards,

JUMBO

Correct me if I am wrong, but LP isn't really selling all "Grey Market" items if the items aren't from out of the country right? The items have to be purchased from say France and then sold in the US to be "Grey Market" right? Everything I have purchased from LP has had US/English manuals and has worked wonderfully despite the much lower prices. Obviously LP must be getting some products from US manufacturers or from US shops.

As for not getting a manufacturers warranty because the LP items purchased aren't truly new, LP does in fact honor the original warranty including parts on Scuba Pro annual service, but only if you send it to them for service. I live in NYC so this isn't a problem for me. Let me add that I have seen people here on this board pay more for used items than they would have paid at LP for a "new" item and they didn't worry about a warranty. Ultimately price is a factor for most. I have even seen LDS employees shopping at LP. I went to 3 LDS's here in NYC to find an item that I eventually found at LP in stock. That's an issue too. Don't get me wrong, I have spent thousands in my favorite LDS, but I do like having the choice to go to LP locally.

With all this said, if I could get items at or close to LP prices at a LDS, I would purchase from a LDS. But in NYC, that will NEVER happen.

Scubaroo:
Thanks for the response - it was a pretty blunt question I asked. Maybe adding serial numbers to BCs might be in Zeagle's future - OxyCheq for example has serial numbers on all of the wings I import. I think that the Zeagle distributor here in Australia would probably love to see it - I remember a case on a local forum where an Australian diver had been told by a (reputable) US dive shop that the warranty for his new Zeagle gear he bought online from the US would be honored in Australia by the Australian distributor - regardless of the overseas dealer status, buying online from outside the country makes it grey market.

Would also help with the LeisurePro problem :evil:

Why is LP a "problem"? If they can make a living selling merchandise for less than others can, why not?

Perhaps we should study their business model and apply it to our own undertakings.

garyfotodiver:
Why is LP a "problem"? If they can make a living selling merchandise for less than others can, why not?

Perhaps we should study their business model and apply it to our own undertakings.
I was referring to Zeagle goods finding their way into the LP warehouse, and Zeagle not warrantying them as LP is not an authorised dealer. The first post in this thread was by someone who had ordered from LP and found out *after* the fact that their new BC won't have a warranty. Scott has indicated Zeagle has gone to some lengths to prevent this from happening, but has not been entirely successful.

To address your second point, I've been leaving my signature off these posts, because I was posting as an individual, not a business. I am in the online dive retail business myself.

AmyJ:
Larry...

True or false??? do you match LP prices for things you carry? If so, you have my eternal business!!!! I am not a fan of LP, but you know the whole story.... blah blah.... I would definitely rather support the 'good guys'! wink! Thanks

Should add I do support the one LDS that earns my love and gratitude, but they don't carry all things... (like Zeagle) :(

Glad you found it... what with it being 14 point font in bright color and all! :wink:

But what I do ask when matching, is I've got to match the entire deal... For example, they are pretty big on marking up shipping costs. I had a customer call when they wanted a hyperstretch wetsuit. Their price was 225, ours 244... But they were charging 12.65 for shipping, and with ours, we had free shipping, free wetsuit hanger, and free shampoo. The customer wanted me to match the 225, and give free shipping, hanger, and shampoo.... Can't really do that.

I also had someone that wanted me to match a price on a regulator we sell for $399 that they sell for $389... but they didn't have it. (got cut off and hadn't found more supply) I explained when I don't have them they are only $379 :crafty:

But if apples to apples, sure, I'll always be able to save someone some money and get a full warranty.

And Scott... thanks for telling everyone to call me to figure out internet policies. I got 1,436 phone calls today alone! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom