First Post! First BC purchase, a mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To continue this discussion a bit, I'd like to offer the analogy of the ski equipment industry. BCD=skis; Computer=bindings; Regulator=boots. The sum of the dollars on these items is large. For those of you who don't know, the prices of skis, boots and bindings can easily be the equivalent of those for high end BCDs, computers and regulators (and, of course, there are the mandatory skiing accessories such as poles, goggles, ski clothing, etc. all of which are roughly comparable in price to dive accessories; and, don't forget the annual ski "tune up" these days, although that you can do yourself with no problem if you wish).

However, there is an enormous difference in the management of sales at the retail end. If you walk into virtually any decently run ski shop, you instantly see the prices on each piece of equipment. Moreover, you usually see packages of skis and bindings for a lot less than buying each separately. Usually the poles are thrown in with such a package. If boots are purchased along with the other items, the savings goes up that much more (often approaching 40% of list. This is all up front information written on price tags. Moreover, if you wait until late winter to buy, the discounts are even greater. Plus, if you still don't like the prices or the choices, there is always the internet.

Now, consider this: the average ski shop is probably no bigger than the average dive shop. They are all small businesses facing the same problems that dive shops face. But, they make their own decisions regarding what prices they charge for equipment and how they will advertise it. They have not gone out of business. Sure, some have, just like some of the major ski manufacturers failed to keep up with technological change and succumbed. But the best businesses survived. No, there are no longer leather boots for downhill skiing, but that is good news, not bad. If it weren't for economic competition, we'd still be using single wooden boards for skis with no steel edges and no safety bindings.

LDS advocates and LDS owners -- Listen up! Don't be Chicken Little. The sky is not falling nor will it fall. Manage your business well and you will easily survive changes in standard business practices.

My own dive equipment purchasing behavior probably reflects the vast majority: I have done my research both on the internet and at a variety of LDSs near me. I have come to a variety of conclusions regarding equipment and costs. I knew about LeisurePro and ScubaToys, but in the end, I bought the big items from the LDS. The owner could and did come down in price (plus the fact that he is only 2 mi from my house) to a point that made him competitive with LP and ScubaToys. The LDS won my business by being good at doing business. I respect that completely. I just wish he had everything clearly priced and followed the example of the ski sales industry or that of Saturn automobile dealers.

Good analogies, but the ski industry is an order of magnitude larger than the dive industry.

Add up the number of people at Killington, Whiteface, Okemo, and Stratton alone in a single given weekend and it will doubtless total at least ten times the number of active divers in the entire Northeast.

Imagine if everyone at Killington showed up at Cape Ann one day wanting to dive...

jonnythan:
Good analogies, but the ski industry is an order of magnitude larger than the dive industry.

Add up the number of people at Killington, Whiteface, Okemo, and Stratton alone in a single given weekend and it will doubtless total at least ten times the number of active divers in the entire Northeast.

Imagine if everyone at Killington showed up at Cape Ann one day wanting to dive...
So, I take everything back. In fact, push up the prices and never give discounts! :D

Back
Top Bottom