First Post! First BC purchase, a mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bison Ravi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi!
I'm a new diver, with about 15 dives. I got tired of cheap rental equipment so I decided to buy my own. I shopped around here, and then on internet. I bought my mask and regs off ebay. I bought a sherwood wisdom computer at leisurepro because it costed me 600$ canadian with tax and shipping. The LDS sells them for 1200 + 15% tax. After receiving the brand new unit in less than 4 days, I decided to buy all my stuff from Leisure Pro. A few days ago, I ordered all the remeining stuff I needed (including a zeagle ranger BC). I'm supposed to receive everything tomorrow by fedex, and will have saved about 800$ off LDS prices. Everything was fine until I discovered this board yesterday! I read somewhere that zeagle considers the BC'S Leisurepro sells as "grey market" and will not honor the guarantee!
the way I see that, is: 1- that Zeagle allows retailers to sell below msrp.
2- Leisure Pro is buying the bc they sell from somewhere.
3- Someone must be selling bc's to leisure pro
4- the person who sells those bc's to leisure pro must be buying them from
zeagle.
5- zeagle won't honor the guarantee of one of their brand new products
because of the person who sells them.
If everything is like i think, I won't have any guarantee on my bc. Am I right? Is there something I can do about that? Why does the companies (like zeagle) penalize the users of their products instead of their retailers?

Thanks for the awnsers!

I don't think you have much of a worry about your Zeagle. Those things are bomb proof.
To quote "the Bard", ". . . much ado about nothing"

Relax and dive.

You might be surprised to find out that the BC didn't come from Zeagle. If memory serves me right LP got sued for producing BC's and using someone's name. There is another world out their.
If the Ranger is made by Zeagle standards, no problem. Just hope that you don't have to return some of those goodies to LP, you might have trouble. LP...love them or hate them.

Hmmm...seems to me that it would cost LP more to make forgery BCDs, but I could be wrong...

Where the heck does LP get their stuff (like Zeagle BCDs)? Anyone know for sure?

To the OP: I wouldn't sweat it...once you dive it to pieces, you'll want a new BC anyway. And I imagine that's a looooong way off... Have fun!

Use the BC, enjoy it. Leisure pro has their own warranty. The manufacturers pretend they don't exist but they sell a ton of stuff for them. They sure aren't making scubapro regulators in a warehouse in Bayonne. I've bought a BC, lights, tanks and a ton of other stuff from them without a problem.

You will get a 100% genuine Zeagle Ranger in the mail.

It will dive well and you will be happy.

It won't break, but if it does, LeisurePro will replace it for you. Same as your other gear.

Dive your new gear, enjoy it, and quit worrying about what you read online :wink:

Dewd, they have a return policy, don't let all this talk about grey market get your N in a twist. Enjoy diving with the BC, next time also checkout Larry at www.scubatoys.com, he will honor the Zeagle warranties, and match LP prices.

Now that I had some time to think about it, and after reading your awnsers, I don't worry anymore. The BC will probably be just fine, and in the worst case, with the money I saved, I could buy another one.

BUT like humuhsomething said:
WHERE THE HECK DOES LP GET THEIR STUFF??? ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE?

LP must be one of the most important (in volume) retailers of zeagle. I don't think zeagle want them to stop selling their products.

DennisS:
Use the BC, enjoy it. Leisure pro has their own warranty. The manufacturers pretend they don't exist but they sell a ton of stuff for them. They sure aren't making scubapro regulators in a warehouse in Bayonne. I've bought a BC, lights, tanks and a ton of other stuff from them without a problem.

But both kosher pickles and PT boats were made in Bayonne. For many years, the Navy taught divers there.

Good enough for me.

ShakaZulu:
Dewd, they have a return policy, don't let all this talk about grey market get your N in a twist. Enjoy diving with the BC, next time also checkout Larry at www.scubatoys.com, he will honor the Zeagle warranties, and match LP prices.

Thanks for the plug ShakaZulu... Yea, it's too bad you didn't call, cause we could have gotten you the same price with the manufacturers warranty - but hopefully you won't have any problems with anything. Computers and regs are more prone to problems than BC's - but Zeagle does have a lifetime warranty from authorized dealers - so even if a seam rips out 6 years later, they would fix or replace it... but they don't rip much. They are very well made. So you should be ok.

Oh, and to answer your question why manufacturers won't honor their warranty... warranties can be specified to new products only. New means it went from a manufacturer to a retailer who sells it to a consumer. If you sell it to someone else, they won't be the original owner, so there is not warranty coverage anymore. Same thing with the BC you have. It went to someone who sold it to a customer... LP... so they are the original owner, you are the second - thus no lifetime warranty.

Back
Top Bottom