First Post! First BC purchase, a mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, I complain openly when a mechanic gouges me on parts. Most of the time, if I know what's wrong, I show up at the mechanic with the new part in hand.

Few months ago my alternator died.. the mechanic charged $300 for a part I could have bought at Autozone for $144.99 I also paid this mechanic $65/hr for his time and expertise. I am unhappy about that.

jonnythan:
He wasn't complaining about paying for the meds.. he was complaining about the vet gouging him on the price and making a big profit off the drugs as well as his time and knowledge for the visit.
So offering your services and charging an appropriate amount for your services and knowledge is gouging? Using the appropriate tools for the job (In this case drugs) and charging for them is gauging as well?
I'm asking myself where this sense of enrightment comes from? I don't think that anyone here in their line of profession would have any trouble charging the appropriate amount for their work and services :wink:
I really take offense of the fact that you believe that if I am offering my services, informing my clients forehand about the expected cost of the treatment, that I "gouging" anyone. They are aware of the cost and it's always the clients choice to start or decline a treatment.
Hmmm, meanwhile I think this thread belongs more in the whine and cheeze section.

Hm. I think charging a reasonable amount for your services is reasonable. Trying to tack on extra profit by charging *un*reasonable amounts for drugs or parts is not cool.

I do computer work, including occasional jobs where I will, say, build a system for a small company or individual. I will charge an appropriate amount of money for my time and expertise.. but if I'm building a computer or installing a new video card, I won't mark up the prices for parts an unreasonable amount. I'm already getting paid for my services.

jonnythan:
Hm. I think charging a reasonable amount for your services is reasonable. Trying to tack on extra profit by charging *un*reasonable amounts for drugs or parts is not cool.

I agree ... as an example, I recently had to replace the battery for my dive light. By using the Internet, I found three separate sources where I could purchase a replacement battery for $150. The company who makes the light sells the same battery for $400.

So the relevent question is this ... what is a reasonable price for the product? And is the expertise of the manufacturer worth an additional 166% markup?

I didn't think so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

jonnythan:
BTW, I complain openly when a mechanic gouges me on parts. Most of the time, if I know what's wrong, I show up at the mechanic with the new part in hand.

Few months ago my alternator died.. the mechanic charged $300 for a part I could have bought at Autozone for $144.99 I also paid this mechanic $65/hr for his time and expertise. I am unhappy about that.
Well, you could have asked Autozone to build it in for you. Do they have the know how and the appropriate facilities concerning space and tools too? If not, that's why they can sell you the part for 144.99. If so, you shouldn't be complaining that you chose the more expensive place to get your car fixed.
The $300 the mechanic was charging was not only for the part but for storing the part until it is being used(rent of space), for the tools that have to be used to build this part in(wear and tear including replacing cost beside original cost to buy these tools), for the facility to be there(rent again)...........etc, etc......
How much do you think it cost to keep the door of your garage open? How much does it cost to keep the people employed? Where does the money come from as it doesn't grow on trees? :wink:

aquaoren:
Well, you could have asked Autozone to build it in for you. Do they have the know how and the appropriate facilities concerning space and tools too? If not, that's why they can sell you the part for 144.99. If so, you shouldn't be complaining that you chose the more expensive place to get your car fixed.
The $300 the mechanic was charging was not only for the part but for storing the part until it is being used(rent of space), for the tools that have to be used to build this part in(wear and tear including replacing cost beside original cost to buy these tools), for the facility to be there(rent again)...........etc, etc......
How much do you think it cost to keep the door of your garage open? How much does it cost to keep the people employed? Where does the money come from as it doesn't grow on trees? :wink:
Well dang, what am I paying the mechanic all that money for then? :confused:

Yeah, I think he was perfectly willing to pay for your services...at least I am...I love Vets! :)

But at the same time, I do save a bunch of cash specifically on the medications at 1-800-PetMeds and the like, as compared to what I pay buying those meds from my Vet directly.

Oh no...I can see it now LDS vs Local Vets vs LeisurePro vs 1-800-PetMeds vs BP/W...

jonnythan:
Well dang, what am I paying the mechanic all that money for then? :confused:
For his skills that he acquired when learning for his profession :wink:

So, in other words, a mechanic's garage should actually make its money *selling parts* whereas the mechanic himself should make money mechanic-ing.

Hm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom