First-hand Reviews Needed: Mares Luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,
I'm considering shelling out for this bag (available on Amazon) and am hoping that someone here on the forum has it or has had it and can give me some first-hand insight -- basically, would you buy it again?
It's the "Mares Cruise Backpack Pro Dive Gear Bag" available on Amazone (Amazon.com : Mares Cruise Backpack Pro Dive Gear Bag - Scuba Equipment Bag : Diving Roller Bags : Sports & Outdoors) for $183.95.
It get's pretty good reviews compared to the others, but at 14 lbs it seems pretty hefty. Maybe that's because it's constructed well though?
I only want to travel with one carry-on and one checked bag when I take off on a dive vacation, and I'm wondering if this one will do the trick.
Anyone?
Bueller?

I don't have that particular bag but a few years ago when I was in the market for a new bag I purchased this one:

Amazon.com : Aqua Lung Traveler 1550 Medium Roller Gear Bag : Diving Duffles : Sports & Outdoors

It's lighter than the bag you are looking at and what I liked most is, it has a lifetime guarantee. If it gets banged up and a zipper gets busted off or just whatever, the dive shop I bought it from said they would replace it for free. I have been on maybe 7 trips with it so far and have had no problems at all.

Hi everyone,
I'm considering shelling out for this bag (available on Amazon) and am hoping that someone here on the forum has it or has had it and can give me some first-hand insight -- basically, would you buy it again?
It's the "Mares Cruise Backpack Pro Dive Gear Bag" available on Amazone (Amazon.com : Mares Cruise Backpack Pro Dive Gear Bag - Scuba Equipment Bag : Diving Roller Bags : Sports & Outdoors) for $183.95.
It get's pretty good reviews compared to the others, but at 14 lbs it seems pretty hefty. Maybe that's because it's constructed well though?
I only want to travel with one carry-on and one checked bag when I take off on a dive vacation, and I'm wondering if this one will do the trick.
Anyone?
Bueller?

I have that bag. I've taken it on 4 trips and it has done well. I got it on sale for a little less than the listed price and at that price it compared favorably with other mid to low end, regular luggage of the same size (which is what I used prior to purchasing the Mares bag). It has some nice features for dive gear over and above standard luggage. I like the fin pockets, internal straps (helps organize the packing, most regular luggage has these as well in this size bag), and external compression straps (they take the pressure off the zippers, very nice since that is what usually craps out on big luggage like this). It's a big bag, easy to over pack. If I'm careful, I can get my and my wife's travel dive gear (along with a few clothes for extra padding) in it minus the few pieces of gear we prefer to carryon and come in just under the 50 lb. limit. Sturdy rollers, sturdy handle, not too many dive logos (if you know what you're looking for it's obviously a dive bag, but it's not grossly labeled for targeting). I don't really get the backpack part. There are some straps on the backside in their own zippered compartment (at least out of the way) that can be pulled out if you want to try to carry it on your back. I never will. It's not built/formed like a backpack, but to each their own. All in all it serves our purpose in a rugged enough bag with some nice "dive gear" features that doesn't make me feel like I paid a ridiculous premium over a regular piece of luggage. Of course all IMHO. YMMV. Good diving. :)

Back
Top Bottom