First gear to invest in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After Mask and fins I always recommend buying an exposure suit. I sell BC's (BackPlate and wings) but I still say get a good suit.

Poorly fitting suits greatly distract from the diving experience. If you are cold, or uncomfortable the rest really doesn't matter.

In addition the buoyancy of your exposure suit will have some impact on the required lift capacity of your BC (or BP&W)

Then regs and a BC.

Computers are waaay down the list. Look into a simple Bottom timer, and learn how to use tables.

Tobin

you're going to get a ton of different variations on a theme, as this thread already shows

basically, your must-buy items are mask, snorkel, fins, and booties (you can rent wetsuits but nobody seems to rent booties)

after that, you're probably want to think "comfort"

what will make you most comfortable diving? a comfortable wetsuit and a well-fitting bcd

after that, you will need to buy a reg with two second stages (i.e. a primary and an octo), a pressure gauge and either a depth gauge or a computer.

if you eventually buy a computer, this will make the depth gauge unnecessary (the computer tells you the depth).

personally, i'd skip the pressure gauge and go right for the computer. by the time you buy one, you should have done quite a few dives with a depth gauge and the tables, which is a great foundation.

so to simplify:

1. mask, snorkel, fins, booties
2. wetsuit
3. bcd
4. primary reg with two secondary stages, a pressure gauge and (a) a depth gauge or (b) a computer

After Mask and fins I always recommend buying an exposure suit. I sell BC's (BackPlate and wings) but I still say get a good suit.

Poorly fitting suits greatly distract from the diving experience. If you are cold, or uncomfortable the rest really doesn't matter.

In addition the buoyancy of your exposure suit will have some impact on the required lift capacity of your BC (or BP&W)

Then regs and a BC.

Computers are waaay down the list. Look into a simple Bottom timer, and learn how to use tables.

Tobin

Ditto. Exactly the order Tobin recommends if you are on a budget or not sure if you are going to be diving very frequently.

Mask, fins, exposure suit. Then regulators and BC. Computer very last. I got my 1st computer in 2008, my first dive was in 1976 :D I have about 50 dives on the computer, well over 10 times that number without a computer.

Have fun with whatever you decide.

As others have already said, after the basics of mask, fins, booties:

1. wetsuit
2. BCD
3. regulators
4. computer

When it comes time to get a computer, get one that can do nitrox as well. This way if you decide to do nitrox you will not have to upgrade computers.

It is easy to drop a ton of money on this equipment. Make sure this is something you are going to do. If you are going to be a vacation diver and dive only one or two times a year and you have to travel to do it, I probably wouldn't even bother.

Get some dives in before you purchase these high dollar items. This way you can kind of see what type of diving you want to do and buy the equipment accordingly.

Good luck.

diving_emtp

I believe that a computer should be one of the early purchases. Most of your buddies will probably be using a computer and both of you will be frustrated limiting your time to the the NDL of you maximun depth on multi-level dives. The probable result of this is that you will have problems finding buddies or resorting to using your buddies computer to run the dive, neither of which is satisfactory. Today a nitrox capable computer can be had for not much more than the cost of a dedicated bottom timer.
This does not mean that you should not take the time to learn and understand dive tables as that understanding can provide very solid back-up.

Sorry, I thought I was replying to another post!

Anyway, thanks for all suggestions! I'll definitely consider all of them, though after the initial investment of fins and mask, I think a bcd and regulator might be a good buy.

Last edited:
ah, indeed

and now you have to decide: do i buy on line or from a local shop?

:)

I teach alot of Open Water Classes and I get asked this question alot. Firstly, every new student should own their own personal gear fitted to them - mask, snorkel, fins w/ booties, gloves. After that everything is rentable. Don't rush your purchases. Do your homework, find out what fits you comfortably and meets your needs and is appropriate for your local environment. I always recommend buying for your local environment so that you feel comfortable diving often near home rather than a kit of rarely used travel dive gear sitting in storage while your dive gills (and skills) dry out.

I agree with Tobin, Andy and most of the above posters. Invest first in your exposure protection. Find something that fits you well, is comfortable, and appropriate for your local diving environment. If you are comfy, you will dive more...and who wants to rent a pre-peed suit - that's like borrowing underwear.

Secondly, I tell folks to invest the most of their budget in good life-support equipment - a good reg set-up with gauges or computer (computer can wait til later). Investing in mid to higher end regs for just a little more money really pays off in comfort level underwater since regs last many many years if well cared for and serviced according to manufacturer's recommendations.

The only time I waver from this advise it to WOMEN...rental unisex (aka men's) BCDs rarely fit women comfortably, so investing in a comforable BCD made specifically for a woman of your height is of utmost importance to keep you diving (spoken like the 5'1" shorty that I am). womens' BCDs are made with shorter backplates, chest straps in less sensitive areas, hip/waist dimensions fit curves better, etc. Each of my lady students who has gotten a good fitting comfortable BCD has shown remarkable improvements in bouyance and self-confidence in the water...THEN add your reg system/computer to your kit.

Do not hesitate to research gear online and then ask your LDS to price match. Many manufacturers are offering gear rebates and other specials. In this economy, many LDS will negotiate a great deal on a whole package for you. Try to support your local LDS if they are willing to work with you, and if not, find another LDS. If you buy locally, you will be able to get your gear serviced locally under manufacturer's warranty. A couple of bucks saved online might not prove to be such a deal if you can't get your gear serviced quickly or conveniently and your LDS is more likely to help you out of a tight jam when something does happen (ie free loaners while gear is being repaired, etc.). But I digress...

Bottomline - Invest in you what you feel comfortable wearing so that you dive more often.

I'd say the basics first, fins, mask and possibly a snorkel. This is not always available to rent and even when it is, the fit often isn't very good. If I was just an occasional diver, I'd stick to this and rent the rest, especially if I only dived on vacation.

If I dived more frequently, I'd invest in an exposure suit (wet or dry depending on where I dive) and a computer.

A lot of people seem to start with a dive watch and the biggest, baddest, James Bond-meets-Rambo-looking dive knife they can find. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom