First gear to invest in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MariaB

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure (just like me) many new divers ask you "What's the first equipment should I invest in?". Does anyone have any real, solid advice (not an "it depends" kind of answer :) ) ? Let's say this would be for 2 types of people - one who anticipates to dive fairly often ( every other month) or someone who would go on big diving vacations once a year.

Thanks!

Maria

---------------------
List your dive shop at DiveShops.com!

Excluding camera/housing...in this order...

1. Mask and Fins.
2. Computer.
3. Trimix analyser.
4. Regulator.
5. BCD / Wing

I was joking about number 3. :mooner:

Where do you dive? If its cold water, after a mask (try them on and make sure they fit!) for me would be exposure protection, either a wetsuit or drysuit. Everything else can be rented until you see what you like, but being cold will make diving more difficult. The sooner you are warm and get used to the bouyancy of your suit, the easier your diving will be.

If you will be diving frequently then the first purchase might be a properly fitting wet/dry suit. This will make the dive comfortable and the rest can be purchased as needed. I have always felt that I need my own (not rented) regulators also.

If it is just a once a year vacation then maybe you should just rent the gear rather than invest a lot of money into something that will just sit around and collect dust most of the time.

Where do you dive? If its cold water, after a mask (try them on and make sure they fit!) for me would be exposure protection, either a wetsuit or drysuit. Everything else can be rented until you see what you like, but being cold will make diving more difficult. The sooner you are warm and get used to the bouyancy of your suit, the easier your diving will be.

I would guess most LDS in temperate waters would also rent appropriate exposure protection?!

If the LDS had suitably fitting and effective wet/dryuits for rent, then it is a minimal priority for purchase.

For me, the mask is No.1 I hate the idea of using a mask that has been filled a 1000 times with the phlegm of previous divers. Also, a properly chosen mask will mold over time to fit your face excellently. A leaking/fogging mask will ruin dives and can lead to rises in stress...and then to accidents.

Fins are also a very personal choice...and there is nothing worse than having your diving ruined by blistered and chafed feet. Just like shoes fins and/or booties are best once they have been 'worn in'.

Computer...these are costly to rent, but cheap to buy for basic air/nitrox recreational diving. Once you start diving with a computer, you will feel naked without it.

Regulator....a neglected rental regulator can cause you serious dangers when diving. Sell you mother and buy a decent regulator. You will never have to worry that the little scuba hovel (I mean dive center) at your next holiday destination gets its regulators serviced by an illiterate man who earns 20cents a day....

BCD / Wing...take some care and do the right research when purchasing and you will own something that will last you years and become like a second skin. Familiarity with kit is essential...and you use your bcd a lot when diving.

Wet/drysuit... if purchased diligently, it will offer better fit than any rental suit you could get.

Other items...not really in the list, but cheap...not often available to rent....and every diver should have them....

a. small DSMB
b. small reel (finger reel is ok)
c. whistle
d. knife (small, sharp and titanium)

Don't waste your money on other useless gadgets...the diving industry is full of them...and you look foolish as a walking christmas tree. Beware that many 'top-of-the-line' items just contain a myriad of pointless gimmicks (who on this planet would ever need a bcd with 12 d-rings?!?!?).

The 'best' stuff is determined by simplicity, effectiveness of operation and robust design.

Maria,.... it depends, you need to make decisions here.

Let me explain. By the question I am to believe that going out for the whole kit and caboodle is not going to happen in one shot.

You need to buy whatever is hardest to rent. If you are not an off the rack person then it's a wetsuit. If your BC is a security blanket to you then get it first, get the idea.

This of course assumes you ended OW with mask, snorkel, fins and booties that are working well for you.

A computer is just a trivia machine for a novice diver, you can spend your money on things that have much more utility.

Now... all things being equal I would say exposure protection first because it is so personal in fit and hygiene, then the BC because it's the epicenter of all of the skills you are building, then a regulator set and finally a computer.

Pete

Wetsuit and BC first (after mask/fins/snorkel) because you'll have a heck of a time getting buoyancy squared away and feeling comfortable in the water if these are always changing.

Next, reg.

Then, computer - no need until your dives are limited by bottom time instead of gas in your tank.

After that - tanks, scooter, lights, camera, sky's the limit!

Double post. Sorry.

This is a link to a thread that has another link to another thread but all the same material with the same general question, but different days over the past month (a lot of reading!) The bottom line, you have to decide what are your priorities. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom