First Dry Suit – what to keep on the table?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Paul McCartney nothing like they used to and certainly not worth the obscene price you have to pay. Glad you got yours and it fits. There have been some horror stories lately in cave country of suits taking over a year to get custom cut and still not being right.

@AGNZ that local brand looks good if they are price competitive with the "big brands"

tbone summed things up pretty well. I own a Viking Protech, and two Santis... one replaced the other since it was a POS. The replacement was under warranty, and the new one (eMotion+) is great after about 70 dives. The original one fell apart at 40 dives.

Since you're hunting, I agree that a crushed neoprene would be ideal. Look at Bare assuming you can get good dealer support. I LOT of my friends have them and they've been very happy, especially for the price. They arguably have the best warranty in the business.

Considering they're made in British Columbia, "technically" they're right next door.

@Paul McCartney nothing like they used to and certainly not worth the obscene price you have to pay. Glad you got yours and it fits. There have been some horror stories lately in cave country of suits taking over a year to get custom cut and still not being right.

@AGNZ that local brand looks good if they are price competitive with the "big brands"
We can find Horror stories for any product by any manufacturer. We dont have to look very hard.

Curious to learn what went wrong with DUI recently? I bought my TLS 350 used (turbo soles, pockets, but no knee pads), put it through the wringer for 3 years, hung it in the closet for 5 and it is still going strong after gluing in new seals. Sure, it accumulated a few dabs of Aquaseal on the inside to cover pinholes but the TLS was never supposed to be as durable as the crushed neoprene pig skin.

Last edited:
We can find Horror stories for any product by any manufacturer. We dont have to look very hard.

but how often do you find it coming from the former president on public forums and echo'd by many who were devout supporters of their product for 20+ years?

@Lobzilla there's enough on this forum and cave diver forum about the demise of DUI quality that it isn't worth hashing out. It's just been hit or miss and even the venerable CLX has gone way down compared to what it was. If you're that curious, I'm sure @rddvet would be more than happy to relay the horror that has been his 18 month ordeal in trying to get a "custom cut" suit through Steve Gamble, who is one of the most respected drysuit people in the world. To me? they're capable of making a great suit, and it sounds like you got one, but the risk:reward for the price of those suits is just not there. If you get them for half price *what the rest of the world charges for suits* because you get dealer pricing, then it's worth the risk, but no way I could in good conscience recommend them when you can get a suit that is easily on par quality wise for half the price. If only we could get zip seals on other suits...

@Lobzilla there's enough on this forum and cave diver forum about the demise of DUI quality that it isn't worth hashing out. It's just been hit or miss and even the venerable CLX has gone way down compared to what it was. If you're that curious, I'm sure @rddvet would be more than happy to relay the horror that has been his 18 month ordeal in trying to get a "custom cut" suit through Steve Gamble, who is one of the most respected drysuit people in the world. To me? they're capable of making a great suit, and it sounds like you got one, but the risk:reward for the price of those suits is just not there. If you get them for half price *what the rest of the world charges for suits* because you get dealer pricing, then it's worth the risk, but no way I could in good conscience recommend them when you can get a suit that is easily on par quality wise for half the price. If only we could get zip seals on other suits...
I know Steve, he found and fixed some pinholes that had left me stumped and showed me how to do this on my own. Great guy. Ironically, "Gamble" should have been the last name of DUI, not of Steve. Getting proper measurements taken and delivery time was always a challenge with DUI. I also know that Trace M had a hell of a time getting one of his DUI suit to the point where it deserved the adjective "dry". Maybe I was just lucky.
I'll check the threads on CDF for the gory details. Is there any other suit that travels as light and dries as fast as the TLS 350?

Last edited:
I know Steve, he found and fixed some pinholes that had left me stumped and showed me how to do this on my own. Great guy.
I'll check the threads on CDF. Is there any other suit that travels as light and dries as fast as the TLS 350?

plenty. I've been very happy with my Rofos that I got from @Dive Right In Scuba about 6 years ago. Very similar to the TLS350, but under $2k with P-valve. Super nice suit. USIA has a couple similar ones that you'll have to talk to Mike about since I'm not familiar with their non-Techniflex suits

plenty. I've been very happy with my Rofos that I got from @Dive Right In Scuba about 6 years ago. Very similar to the TLS350, but under $2k with P-valve. Super nice suit. USIA has a couple similar ones that you'll have to talk to Mike about since I'm not familiar with their non-Techniflex suits
Thanks.

BTW, for someone in the vicinity of 6' and around 175 lbs I have a DUI crushed neoprene suit with ZIP neckseal and detachable dry gloves. Awesome, nearly indestructible suit that just does not fit my diving style anymore. Ideal for cold water and wreck diving.

Last edited:
28973501528_56b0d2a738_k-jpg.464257.jpg

Merry dives with a Waterproof D7 Pro Cordura and says it's the best drysuit she has ever owned. We rarelt dive warm water so it gets a lot of use and still looks pretty new after a few hundred dives.
My favorite feature is the ability to change neck or wrist seals in a minute or two.

View attachment 464604
Merry dives with a Waterproof D7 Pro Cordura and says it's the best drysuit she has ever owned. We rarelt dive warm water so it gets a lot of use and still looks pretty new after a few hundred dives.
My favorite feature is the ability to change neck or wrist seals in a minute or two.

Thanks Max,

There is so much gear in that photo its intimidating haha!

I think I am going to investigate Oceandry Drysuits | Waders | Wetsuits further. They are a local New Zealand business and if the local Commercial Divers, Navy and various Science Organisations that work in Antarctica think they worth every penny then its worth a look. If that becomes too hard or expensive then I will keep the D7 top of mind assuming I am looking to a Trilaminate style suit. At this stage compressed/crushed neoprene might be my best option for my needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom