First Dry Suit – what to keep on the table?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santi's quality has slipped, so they're out
Aqualung is a bit obscure, so they're out for me unless you get a screaming deal
OMS is made by DUI who has gone to hell in a handbasket lately so I would avoid both of them

There's four of them out of the way.

Cheaping out doesn't always mean a problem. Some of the best suits on the market are quite inexpensive. Having it fit properly is the key.

Cordura is the outer layer of SOME trilaminates. Trilam is just like it sounds, three layers. You have an inner fabric that protects against abrasion, a middle layer of an impermeable membrane that makes it airtight, and an outer fabric that protects against abrasion. Cordura is typically the outer layer of some of the heavier/more durable bag suits but comes at the cost of weight and comfort. To use DUI as an example because people are familiar with them, the FLX is cordura exterior, the TLS is PET exterior. Both trilaminates, but one is much lighter and more comfortable than the other while the other is much more durable. Many PET exterior suits have cordura panels for butt/knee/elbow for protection.

Based on your comments, I would look at either a cordura bag suit, or a neoprene drysuit. If not diving deep, then the non-compressed neoprene is a very viable option that will dive most like a wetsuit and is also the least expensive. A crushed neoprene will be the most durable, but is quite heavy so that's up to you. Both of them allow you to wear less undergarments which I find to be a very big positive when diving in warm surface climates because you can slip into the suit without having to put umpteen layers on.

Good luck.

I don't and haven't owned any of those brands, and would not really consider any of them based on what we have available in the US, but I usually go direct to the manufacturers vs. through a shop.
My top three list is USIA, Rofos, and O'Three depending on which kind of suit I want. USIA for cordura, Rofos for PET, O3 for neoprene and own/have owned all three *sold my USIA suits and o3 is on the way
Aqualung bought out Whites @tbone1004 -- not sure if you were aware of that- most people aren't. I assume the OP is referring to the new generation of Aqua Lung/White's Drysuits. Definitely not obscure and they are amazing drysuits. I have had mine for 5 years (White's Fusion) and swear by it. I am also a fan of anything Waterproof. I would just recommend getting something that you can replace neck and wrist seals yourself and getting something you can get into and out of yourself, if you are a solo diver. Aqua Lung/White's meet both of those criteria.

My top three list is USIA, Rofos, and O'Three depending on which kind of suit I want. USIA for cordura, Rofos for PET, O3 for neoprene and own/have owned all three *sold my USIA suits and o3 is on the way

I have two USIA suits and like both very much. My second is a full custom and I find it very durable despite it being a bi-lam. For what it's worth, I've never dove any other brand.

Hi AGNZ

Been using the 4mm compressed neoprene ScubaPro Everydry suit for three years. Very happy with it and the price. Wife now also has one.

Also livel in NZ and I tried the trilam but was cold even with heavy Fourth Element Arctic thermals.

I’ve got the Fourth Element, No probs with it. Its only done about 75dives over the last 2 winters, but still looks like new. My only regret was not having changable seals fitted, however my suit has gone to the shop to have that rectified for price of mind and easy fixing on dive trips

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice and I probably now have enough to make a more informed decison :)

My next step in the world of Scuba is investing in a Dry Suit......Advice on these forums has been excellent for all the other gear you have recommended so thought I would try my luck on this topic :)

Keen to support my local retailers in New Zealand.

Looking across the various reputable retailers the following brands are available:

Santi

Waterproof

Fourth Element

Aqualung

Vikings

OMS

DUI

Bare

BDW

Scubapro

What I would like to do is weed out any of the brands that are of relatively poor quality within the group and/or are simply not good value for money.

Secondly, get some advice on which models within those brands would likely best meet my needs.

Don’t won’t to compromise fit

Obviously getting the right fit is important so I don’t want to just choose one brand based on reputation, however having few choices I can feel comfortable investing in would add some peace of mind.

While I don’t necessarily need the best of the best, it seems with dry suits that cheaping out just ends in tears!?

In terms of what I will be using it for:

General use: most of the year outside peak summer

Last weekend went for a dive and it was 13 oC at 9m (oF 55) and my 8mm wetty wasn’t quite cutting it! But, if I am spending so much on a suit I would like to use it in warmer conditions also. Also, the luxury of not having to climb into a cold wetty has some great appeal to it..

I also can be a little rough on gear so some extra durability is always nice to have....

Hunting: while I am doing less of this these days, when the opportunity presents I don’t want to feel afraid of damaging the suit. For example, we have nice big Crayfish (Lobsters) in New Zealand so having protection around the arms might be quite important.

Difference between Trilaminate and Cordura

I don’t really understand the difference between Trilaminate and Cordura? (is Cordura just one of the three layers)

Whats taking my fancy at the moment?

Waterproof D7 Pro Cordura (maybe the marketing is just good haha)

My body shape

While I assume this matter most when getting measured and trying gear on it can’t hurt to have a little insight:

180cm
82kg
Slim to Athletic build
Narrow wrists
Long but slim feet

Summary

Anyway, just looking for some general advice around brands and models that I should keep in the back of my mind before engaging with the various retailers. Sometimes they have agendas, or targets to meet so keen to keep focused on getting the correct fit and know which brands/models I feel comfortable investing in.

Regards,

G

Ocean Dry out of Warkworth? Not the prettiest but bullet proof and NZ made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom