First dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flowrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Our family is new to diving. Have looked over a lot of articles and threads and would really like to get something, just not sure where to start.

Would it be dumb to get my 15/13 year olds something simple like the aqualung i200c or the Suunto Zoop?

I’m looking at something with air integration for myself, but still not sure. Looking for your recommendations on units.

Thanks for your input!

Our family is new to diving. Have looked over a lot of articles and threads and would really like to get something, just not sure where to start.

Would it be dumb to get my 15/13 year olds something simple like the aqualung i200c or the Suunto Zoop?

I’m looking at something with air integration for myself, but still not sure.

Thanks for your input!
Your choices, for your teens, are just fine. The equipment is on the less expensive side and can always be upgraded / replaced later, if so desired; and can always be used as a future back-up.

Air integration is a convenience / novelty, though not terribly necessary. If so, always carry an analogue back-up (a submersible pressure gauge). I have had a number of electronic failures over the years, and no longer put all of my eggs in a single basket.

Welcome to scuba -- one of the few things in life which hasn't been terribly over-rated . . .

Computers without bells and whistles work just fine. The only feature I like that is lacking in some of the inexpensive computers is a back-light. Not strictly necessary but it is a convenience. Suuntos are quite conservative, which may be a bonus for you.

When starting out I bought a no-frills computer. It worked just fine for travel or local dives. I later upgraded, but used it until it died for local lobster diving. I didn't have to worry about scratching a nicer one.

If and when you upgrade later, it can be used as a backup. This is particularly useful if your computer craps out on a trip to avoid getting benched for the day.

Computers without bells and whistles work just fine. The only feature I like that is lacking in some of the inexpensive computers is a back-light. Not strictly necessary but it is a convenience. Suuntos are quite conservative, which may be a bonus for you.

When starting out I bought a no-frills computer. It worked just fine for travel or local dives. I later upgraded, but used it until it died for local lobster diving. I didn't have to worry about scratching a nicer one.

If and when you upgrade later, it can be used as a backup. This is particularly useful if your computer craps out on a trip to avoid getting benched for the day.
A conservative computer cannot be easily used as a backup computer to a more liberal computer. It will go into deco and require stops to avoid going into violation gauge mode.

A conservative computer cannot be easily used as a backup computer to a more liberal computer. It will go into deco and require stops to avoid going into violation gauge mode.

I realize that, but it is feasible depending on the number of dives per day and type of diving one does. There's no saying that an upgrade has to be more liberal, though.

I personally don't like Suunto's for their level of conservatism, but they're fine computers. The OP asked if there was anything wrong with two computers, which I don't think there is.

Of those choices, I would definitely pick the Aqualung. Nothing at all wrong with it. When my daughters started diving, they used an Oceanic Veo. Still have the Veo, but they are now using AI computers.

Get them in the habit of logging their dives. I believe the i200c has Bluetooth, while the Zoop looks to use a cable. BT is so much more convenient, as they can download to their phones with logging apps.

Would it be dumb to get my 15/13 year olds something simple
My usual dive buddies are either my 12 y.o. or my 16 y.o. .... with that comes conservative/benign diving in general, and we've been using Mares Puck Pro's for a few years now. Does all we need, found them dirt cheap, and I only bought one download cable to use with all three. Nothing dumb about simple.... often basic is all we need.

Respectfully,

James

Back
Top Bottom