First dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you are getting a few of them for 3 or 4 people. Why not try a couple different brands? Maybe the aqualung for one, Suunto for another?
I wouldn't recommend this. Each manufacturer uses different algorithms and user interfaces. Stick to one and everyone will have similar NDL times and can help each other out with the UI.

Tell us more about you to get better advice.

Are you totally hooked on scuba and will be diving all the time locally, or are you just going to be vacation divers?
Is cost a factor?
Do you want to buy once and cry once, or are you open to experimentation?
Do you have a preference for conservative or liberal computers?
Will you be diving primarily with your kids or with other people?

Recommendations for Shearwater, for example, are because of their phenomenal reputation for service, performance, and capabilities. They're quite expensive, and are worth the money, particularly if you plan to broaden your training and dive capabilities.

Deep6 also has plenty of great things said about their computer, though I am not familiar.

Diving for a day locally, if you opt to try multiple brands as has been suggested, will generally not impact NDLs too much. If on a trip with multiple days of diving, both conservative and liberal computers in the group will drastically affect bottom time.

For new divers, gas is often a limiting factor, but with experience and time in the water this can change. Something to keep in mind if you plan on growing with the computer.
Great insights here.

Vacation divers for sure, wish we were able to dive more than that. Leaning towards busting something simple and experimenting with it… primarily dive with the family, but occasionally with others.

I wouldn't recommend this. Each manufacturer uses different algorithms and user interfaces. Stick to one and everyone will have similar NDL times and can help each other out with the UI.
Great point!

I have an Aqualung i770R with air integration as my primary and a i300c in a console with an SPG as my back up, same algorithms. I like the Aqualung, easy to use easy to read underwater. Bluetooth integration so logs are updated on my phone and then I upload those to Dive Cloud.

Since you are getting a few of them for 3 or 4 people. Why not try a couple different brands? Maybe the aqualung for one, Suunto for another?
Bad idea. They will never match each other because of differing proprietary algorithms.

Bad idea. They will never match each other because of differing proprietary algorithms.
That's what might be good? Experiment. They are diving with kids, so they are not pushing any boundaries. I hear what you are saying though. But in the end they are 12 and when/if they start diving on their own with friends at 18ish, the tech will probably have changed and they can upgrade to one of their choice. I've not really looked in depth to it, but can't some computers be nudged one way or the other to be more liberal/conservative?

That's a good point, but one I thought would be good to experiment since many computers let you nudge them a little. @flowrider since a couple of people mentioned not to get different brands, I got curious and found this article about most of the common computers and what theory they use. Several brands use the same. Might be a good read for you.

Great insights here.

Vacation divers for sure, wish we were able to dive more than that. Leaning towards busting something simple and experimenting with it… primarily dive with the family, but occasionally with others.

My advice would be to not get too wrapped up in all the latest and greatest, unless that's your thing and you have the wallet for it. For predominantly vacation diving, your choices are good. Simple is easier to remember how to use and will fulfill your needs.

I would only sweat these:

Backlight - nice for night diving. not necessary, but as screen gets scratched it's harder to read with just a flashlight
1 vs 2 button - 1 button is easier to remember how to use since you can only short press and long press, but can be cumbersome to operate. i.e. if you pass the setting you are changing/viewing (logs, nitrox %, time, etc.) you must scroll through fully

algorithm - conservative or liberal. Aqualung, Suunto, and Cressi tend to be fairly conservative. Many computers have some adjustment in factor, but diving the same algorithm as each other is a good idea. My preference is for a liberal computer, though I dive somewhat conservatively.

AI capable - this can be added later

@flowrider i would look at the deep6 excursion over the i200.

If I was to be making a multiple unit purchase ($ outlay), and for the current skill set (vacation divers), I'd likely be looking at the above linked Deep 6 Excursion....

Everyone on the same computer and the same UI to coach them through it is a big plus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom