First dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@flowrider i would look at the deep6 excursion over the i200.
Why this over the others?

If I was to be making a multiple unit purchase ($ outlay), and for the current skill set (vacation divers), I'd likely be looking at the above linked Deep 6 Excursion....

Everyone on the same computer and the same UI to coach them through it is a big plus.
Why the deep 6 over others?

It is the "universally accepted" algorithm, modest price point (especially with multiple units being purchased), good features (but no AI or compass), and easy interface.

For reference, my family has 4 Shearwater Computers (Petrel1, 2x Perdix AI, Peregrine), a Deep6 Excursion, a Cochran EMC20, a Mares Puck, and an Oceanic Veo180Nx picked up over the years. For easy recreational diving, I like the Deep6....

The other "plus" is the form factor for kid sized bodies.

The best inexpensive option right now is the Mares Puck Pro. It's currently on sale for $200, for example: Mares Puck Pro Wrist Computer

This has everything you actually need in a dive computer: backlight, nitrox, user replaceable battery, reasonable form factor. The one nice thing it is missing is bluetooth capability. If you want to download your dives to log them, you'll need to buy a $50 USB interface cable. But you can share one cable over all your computers.

To get bluetooth capability, you'll need to spend $300 to $350 for the Aqua Lung 1300c or the Deep6 Excursion. The latter has a rechargeable rather than replaceable battery, but otherwise the same features as above.

You can spend more to get more features like a color screen or compass or air integration, but the above will all serve for any type of recreational diving and even some types of tech diving.

@lowwall is correct - can serve you well, especially for your application. I just can't recommend anything Mares.... IMHO, abysmal support... Ignored an open ticket for nearly 5 years (it was about their own clunky software which I had given up on and went to Subsurface, but I feel it irresponsible to acknowledge my issue, say they are "on vacation", and never close the loop... years and years later....) No, I'll never recommend Mares products to anyone...

I have "bent" my Puck while it was in my pocket as a backup (to a Cochran EMC20), so yes, particular attention is needed to make sure you are not putting yourself in a bad situation. When I need serious equipment for bigger dives, it is two Shearwaters on me, but I would never recommend a recreational family invest in such stuff unless they are fully financially able (and then you probably wouldn't be asking for recommendations). Honestly, there isn't a big justification unless specific things about the SW are what you WANT...

YMMV

...I have "bent" my Puck while it was in my pocket as a backup (to a Cochran EMC20), so yes, particular attention is needed to make sure you are not putting yourself in a bad situation...
That's funny, you were diving what is probably the most liberal computer deco algorithm as your primary and one of the most conservative as your backup.

Don’t spend too much time researching equipment, it leads to overthinking. Get a dive computer, get your certification and go dive:) best equipment you can get is time in the water. Best divers I have been around have 20 plus year old gear and just dive:)

Why the deep 6 over others?

It's Scubaboard's darling except when it comes to Shearwater. Just like Suunto is the ScubaBoard's bogeyman.

Don’t spend too much time researching equipment, it leads to overthinking. Get a dive computer, get your certification and go dive:) best equipment you can get is time in the water. Best divers I have been around have 20 plus year old gear and just dive:)
Agree with this!

Back
Top Bottom