First dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of those choices, I would definitely pick the Aqualung. Nothing at all wrong with it. When my daughters started diving, they used an Oceanic Veo. Still have the Veo, but they are now using AI computers.

Get them in the habit of logging their dives. I believe the i200c has Bluetooth, while the Zoop looks to use a cable. BT is so much more convenient, as they can download to their phones with logging apps.
I’m with you there on the Aqualung Bluetooth. I think that’s what I am leaning towards for the kids, or is there something else I should be looking at?

I just have no idea what I want because there are so many options!

I know its higher end, but look at the Shearwater family of computers. they have something for everyone.
Tell me a little more about what you like on them? Experience with them… pros and cons?

My usual dive buddies are either my 12 y.o. or my 16 y.o. .... with that comes conservative/benign diving in general, and we've been using Mares Puck Pro's for a few years now. Does all we need, found them dirt cheap, and I only bought one download cable to use with all three. Nothing dumb about simple.... often basic is all we need.

Respectfully,

James
As long as your gas consumption controls your dives over your NDLs.

Tell me a little more about what you like on them? Experience with them… pros and cons?
Only con to the Shearwaters are the cost for the most part.

The Peregrine is their entry level computer. Perdix/Perdix AI/ Teric are quite a bit more advanced. Teric is large watch sized, the P computers are larger/rectangular.

The Peregrine doesn’t have a tech mode, AI, or a compass, but other than that they share the same firmware with the Perdix. Bright, full color screen, easy to read, and configurable. User interface is orders of magnitude better than most dive computers. Bluetooth so no cable. The Shearwater Cloud app is just meh, but third party logs like Subsurface or MacDive, Diving Log, etc. all work well. I primarily use the SW app mainly for firmware updates.

All the Shearwater computers run Buhlmann with Gradiant Factors (GF). With GFs, you can either choose pre-configured conservatism, or set your own, which can be good with the kids. If my kids were starting today, I’d get them Peregrines.

Shearwater has also been well known for exceptional customer service. If you can make the budget work, the Peregrines would be a great choice.

Our family is new to diving. Have looked over a lot of articles and threads and would really like to get something, just not sure where to start.

Would it be dumb to get my 15/13 year olds something simple like the aqualung i200c or the Suunto Zoop?

I’m looking at something with air integration for myself, but still not sure. Looking for your recommendations on units.

Thanks for your input!
Since you are getting a few of them for 3 or 4 people. Why not try a couple different brands? Maybe the aqualung for one, Suunto for another? As for customer service, it seems no one can beat Shearwater, but it comes with a price. If you bought a few different kinds, you can see what everyone likes and as your kids and you grow in diving, so will your own ideas on what makes a good DC. AI is nice, but not really necessary. I always carry an spg either way.

Why? It's not for everyone, and not really needed.
Paper logs, I absolutely agree. Worthless.

Electronic logs, on the other hand are pretty useful. When I first started diving, electronic logs weren’t really a thing. I saw very little value in paper logs, and knew I would not refer back to them. So I didn’t. I didn’t resume logging until I got a computer that I could download.

For kids just getting started, it can be useful to track weight usage with different gear, RMV/SAC, etc.

Kids may or may not like diving, might find other interests, might come back to it later as they get older. Plenty of computers will do what you need at a disposable price.

Tell us more about you to get better advice.

Are you totally hooked on scuba and will be diving all the time locally, or are you just going to be vacation divers?
Is cost a factor?
Do you want to buy once and cry once, or are you open to experimentation?
Do you have a preference for conservative or liberal computers?
Will you be diving primarily with your kids or with other people?

Recommendations for Shearwater, for example, are because of their phenomenal reputation for service, performance, and capabilities. They're quite expensive, and are worth the money, particularly if you plan to broaden your training and dive capabilities.

Deep6 also has plenty of great things said about their computer, though I am not familiar.

Diving for a day locally, if you opt to try multiple brands as has been suggested, will generally not impact NDLs too much. If on a trip with multiple days of diving, both conservative and liberal computers in the group will drastically affect bottom time.

For new divers, gas is often a limiting factor, but with experience and time in the water this can change. Something to keep in mind if you plan on growing with the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom