First Dive Computer suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TripleAech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I guess you sea a lot of this question here, I have the opportunity to acquire a Oceanic VTX or a Shearwater Perdix AI, what would you recommend?, mainly it will be for rec diving until I gain more experience and do in the future more tech diving

Thank you in advance

It isn't even a choice between these two specific computers, Perdix AI without a doubt, VTX doesn't even come close.

BTW, the VTX isn't a technical computer, the Perdix is and has a "recreational mode" too.

Thank you for your answers I am going to go the Perdix route I think that DC will be worth the investment

I guess you sea a lot of this question here, I have the opportunity to acquire a Oceanic VTX or a Shearwater Perdix AI, what would you recommend?, mainly it will be for rec diving until I gain more experience and do in the future more tech diving

Thank you in advance
Neither!
Judging by the regular appearance of new model over last few yrs from Shearwater. By the time you have gained enough experience and venture into tec diving, there should be other options awaiting for you.

Buy two simple computers(under @$200.00) with gauge mode and go diving.

Between OP's choice, no comparison. Shearwater is far superior, or I should say Oceanic is very average in comparison.

But I agree with Centrals more. No need to spend $1000+ for first computer. Something with Air, Nitrox and Gauge mode. Preferable easy to read screen. I personally like average depth and count down timer.

Last edited:
Neither!
Judging by the regular appearance of new model over last few yrs from Shearwater. By the time you have gained enough experience and venture into tec diving, there should be other options awaiting for you.

Buy two simple computers(under @$200.00) with gauge mode and go diving.

any suggestions? my LCD where suggesting me the Oceanic brand, they told me the OCI or the VTX where the bes choice, but then I found out about the Shearwater

Between OP's choice, no comparison. Shearwater is far superior, or I should say Oceanic is very average.

But I agree with Centrals more. No need to spend $1000+ for first computer. Something with Air, Nitrox and Gauge mode. Preferable easy to read screen. I personally like average depth and count down timer.

OK, let me check other models, I was under the impression that if I invest in the best one now that would last me for years, but Centrals comment makes a lot of sense, maybe when I am ready for that there will be the next big thing and I don't want to be like in the phone industry, upgrading because every year they add the next big thing, but I think here the innovations are not that fast paced

Oceanic is quite popular in US.
I am using Veo 180 and it is fine and only cost $180.00 few yrs ago. My main computer is an 19yrs old Uwatec Aladin.
Oceanic Veo 2 if you can find it under $250.00, Geo 2 is its latest replacement.
Some divers do not like Mares Puck or Pro or Pro + because of the algorithm(RGBM) used but they are pretty cheap at well under $200.00(Leisure Pro).

I cant say anything about Oceanic VTXfor or against, However I can say everything about the shearwater. I don't think I would go to a AI version. but that is a preference thing. the menu system on the shearwater is absolutely the best, left button scroll right button select. I you could skip the perdix all together I would do that and save the money and get a petrel 1 unless you want the internal compass and then get the petrel2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom